biggest flaw in a console

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
If Nintendo doesn't want to get rid of its friend code system, I think the best thing they could do is make it so that a person's Wii number acts as a universal friend code. Once you add someone to your address book on your Wii, you'll be able to instantly play online with that person in any Wi-Fi game.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
For recent Consoles

360 - RROD and E74, Loud and lack of stock HD Cables

PC - Constant need for better hardware and lack of Optimization for most games

PS3 - Darn Updates, Lack of Backwards Compatiblity

PSP - Pretty Much Everything

DS - Lack Of Hardware Power and Faulty Touch Screens

Wii - Friend Codes, Lack of HD (High Definition)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
That doesn't really count because it is coverred in the warranty.
It still affects the gamers doesn't it? And it is a flaw. Sure you can get a new one, but that one will get RRoD too.
Another RRoD would be quickly reapaired/replaced, as per the warranty.
Depending on where you live, it doesn't actually take very long to get it done.

It has become a minor nuisance, not a major screwup.
No, absolutely not. I don't care if you've never had an RRoD before, you cannot simply toss aside the absolute atrocity of Microsoft's RRoD.

It does not matter if it's covered with a warranty, so what? It's absolutely appalling that Microsoft would expect their customers to continue sending in Xboxes because it's covered in warranty, which surprisingly people do! I've had friends that had their 360's break down 5 times in as many months. Would you seriously accept the fact that you'd turn in your 360 5 times in 5 months just because it's covered on warranty? Bull. Shit.

A 33% failure rate is absolutely atrocious. If a drug had a 33% failure rate, it'd be taken off the shelves immediately. If a car had a 33% failure rate, it'd barely be selling at all. If a computer had a 33% failure rate it would be boycotted until the company fixed it.

Now, accidents happen, and you're bound to take your car in for repair every couple of years or upgrade your computer to be better. But nobody would ever buy a car if it had a 33% chance of failing, and that would be for every model. Nobody would care if the care was covered in warranty, bullshit on that.

You're basically saying that if you're 360 got RRoD, send it in and get a new one. If that one gets an RRoD, no problem, send it in again! The next one gets RRoD, send it in! RRoD, it's fine it's in warranty! RRoD, pshaw, just send it in!

No, just simply no.

Now please note, this isn't restricted to the 360. If my PS3 had broken down 3 times (depending on how far away the break downs were), Sony would lose a loyal customer. One time, okay, things happen. Second time, fine, it's covered in warranty, and things do happen. Third times the charm, you're out of here, I should not have my console break down 3 times in 3 months.

You are the customer, you should not be expecting your console to break down on you. That should be the least of your worries. If you're expecting your console to get the equivalent of a deadly disease, then you know that something is wrong.

EDIT: I'll admit though, I'd probably be a hypocrite and get my PS3 sent in for a 4th time :p

bouncymike999

Mar 4, 2009
why did you make this thread all you did was throw gas into an arbitrary flame war over the consoles

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
2nd that. you should never have to worry about your system screwing up on you. it is always in the back of your mind. i never problems with a console like this. all my old console ran forever. all you had to worry on the old consoles was the wires. god forbid you touch one while playing. i hadn't problems with my 360 YET. knocks on wood. ms screwed up on the 360. i not hating the 360. i love the game library.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
For recent Consoles

Wii - Friend Codes, Lack of HD

your right on the money.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Mostly, but I don't think lack of HD is an applicable flaw. The Wii's lack of memory would have been a better thing to name as a flaw.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
Quadtrix said:
Mostly, but I don't think lack of HD is an applicable flaw. The Wii's lack of memory would have been a better thing to name as a flaw.
My bad. I meant High Definition. I fixed it.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
Gladion said:
piers789 said:
...and thats why I'm a P.C. gamer.
Okay, have you been answering the OPs question? No...
Have you contributed in any other way to this discussion? No...
Does this even have ANYTHING to do with the topic? No...

Well, obviously, you just felt to do some hating. But let me ask you: are you saying, with PCs, there are less (hardware/software-)problems than with consoles?
Please note I'm no fanboy. I use both consoles and computers.

@Pi_Fighter: The RRoD a minor nuisance? Come on, you can't be serious.
Just a couple of points:

Firstly, I wasn't speaking out of hate.
Secondly, PC's aren't flawless and neither are consoles. And no, PC's aren't perfect but like consoles, patches etc. are being created to remedy these problems.
Lastly, don't you think you've taken my post a little to heart? If you really felt it was unnecessary you could have just ignored it.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
rated pg said:
No ethernet port in the Wii.
Let's not forget that nintendo is all about random add-ons that cost extra and are completely pointless:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UXhBOb%2BuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Shadowlolz

Mar 25, 2009
Wasder said:
Oh this reeks of fanboy. Havingto send off for a new one is not a "minor nuisance".
meh beat me to it... RRoD is the reason i buy multi-platformers for PS3... so i would consider it a flaw cuz it draws your urge to ply a bit

Edi: the wiis motion sensor isnt very realistic to what you are doing only a few games are that responsive.the 360 has RRoD as previoulsy stated...and PS3 online is a lil lackluster in the departments Xbox live spoiled us so each one has its flaws and strengths

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
For recent Consoles

Wii - Friend Codes, Lack of HD (High Definition)
PC - lack of optimization? In the majority of games you can alter a wide amount of graphics and sound options, as well as using different input methods... I do agree that it can be costly to have a gaming PC that will last you as long as a console.

levelone

Apr 17, 2009
what is the worlds biggest mess up in a console; Red ring of death

what went wrong Microsoft refuses to accept that there error margin is too large

and how it affects gamers, makes gamers not want to play Microsoft PC and Xbox 360 profits suffer more then they need too giving Microsoft competition a greater chance to gain consumer confidence.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
They still don't get points in my book for selling me a faulty system. It affects how I play so no matter if there is or isn't a warranty, it does not excuse bad manufacturing.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
id say PCs not being good for games is a pretty bad flaw

too bad they're not consoles or they'd count in this thread

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Of all the consoles I own...

PC: Installing stuff. System requirements.
Xbox 360: RROD, E74
Wii: Lack of games with depth and aspiration to be more than a hand waving competition.
Xbox: Bit big and heavy
PS2: Launch PS2's were prone to worn out lasers etc.
Gamecube: First party memory cards were unreliable.
Dreamcast: Cooling system so noisy, it drowns out the television. Lack of third party support.
Nintendo 64: Cartridges limited potential and heightened costs.
Sega Saturn: Dual processors were too hard to develop for, and few games met its potential.
Playstation: Erm... none. It works after 14 years and had an extensive range.
Snes: Casing yellows with age if exposed in sunlight. Power switch is prone to deteriorating.
Mega Drive: The advertising campaigns. 2% experienced faulty cartidge sockets (IE, they'd snap off).

And the winner is: Playstation, because the old bastard still trundles along quietly.

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
Sure it's covered in the warranty, but:

1. Microsoft knew about the issue long before they shipped the 360
2. It could take up to a month to send off/receive your system which = boredom for a lot of gamers
3. What happens when you get a RRoD and your warranty has expired?

It's still the biggest flaw I've ever come across in a console.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I'd say the biggest flaw in any console is the inability to be able to fix it yourself. If it breaks, you're screwed. If your PC freezes or gets a virus, there is something you could do about it, and your last resort would be to take it to the "experts" at best buy or frys or something - but it's not your first and only resort.