biggest flaw in a console

Lucia di Lammermore

Feb 8, 2009
Wii: lack of good games. Seriously, I own one. I play all or about 8 games on the thing.

PS3: price and lack of backwards compatibility in new models. I'm actually thinking of buying one, and just for fun I decided to look up how much one with backwards compatibility would go for. Older, probably used console ~$400, new, still in box console, as low as $300. the consumers have spoken sony.

Xbox- reliability. 33% fail rate is not good, no matter what the product.

Renaissance247

May 9, 2009
ansem1532 said:
Renaissance247 said:
ansem1532 said:
Renaissance247 said:
ansem1532 said:
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
That doesn't really count because it is coverred in the warranty.
They make you pay $100 for it with the warranty to get it fixed.
A friend of mine sent his system in for a RRoD repair with a Warranty and paid nothing. Where are you getting your information?
Recently, and by recently a mean a few months, Microsoft states that because of all the people who don't have the three red ring, who get an error that doesn't cover the warranty, purposely give their 360's the 3 red rings to get it fixed for free. So now, with the warranty, you have to pay $100 to get it fixed, and $200 without warranty I believe.

And don't question my information when it comes directly from Microsoft =p
The friend I mentioned just had this happen in March and he got his console back close to April. Must have been more recent...
Please listen:

If you have just recently bought a warranty within the past few months, you are now required to pay a fee to get it fixed.

Considering he already bought the warranty, it is covered for free. I just assumed you would realize I implied that.
I wasn't aware you had to purchase a warranty. I was always just given one with a purchase, which was what happened with him. And since you never implied, I thought it was just changed to that even if you already had a warranty. That's my bad for assuming.

Renaissance247

May 9, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Renaissance247 said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Renaissance247 said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Idunno the RROD's pretty bad, but $600 for one is pretty gay too
$600? Where are you getting for information from?
Um.. well after attempting to read what you wrote, I can only assume you want to know where I got the amount of $600 from. Well it all happened just oh maybe for years ago, their was this console see it was huge and black and cost $600 dollars. But the sad part was the people that were selling this expensive brick, were arrogant about it too, and decided that it probably was to cheap. Well since than they sort have learned from their mistakes and brought the price down to $400, but people will always remember that arrogance.
I didn't realize the console cost that much when it debuted. Jeez.
well now i feel like a ass... you just sounded so much like some dickhead fanboy
I'm confused about this whole thing and I don't think I responded correctly last time.

Anyhow, I'm not a fanboy, I like all consoles... I own only a 360 and DS but I want to get a PS3 for certain exclusives.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
paladinkratos said:
classyplatypus said:
the entire Wii console
Exactly thier is no skill involved in it if you just swing around randomly you can do an insane combo but then never do it again because you realised that you dropped the wii mote which caused the amazing combo
Sadly, most high-end game devs are more focused on making games for the Xbox and PS3 because of they know that more people take both of those consoles much more seriously than the Wii. Imagine a LOTR game that is first person, and the remote controls a sword/bow/axe, and you need to make precise movements, and not just flail the controller around, in order to kill enemies. THAT would prove the Wii's potential.

MarcusD357

Mar 27, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Computer-Noob said:
paladinkratos said:
classyplatypus said:
the entire Wii console
Exactly thier is no skill involved in it if you just swing around randomly you can do an insane combo but then never do it again because you realised that you dropped the wii mote which caused the amazing combo
Sadly, most high-end game devs are more focused on making games for the Xbox and PS3 because of they know that more people take both of those consoles much more seriously than the Wii. Imagine a LOTR game that is first person, and the remote controls a sword/bow/axe, and you need to make precise movements, and not just flail the controller around, in order to kill enemies.
You mean like Red Steel? The Wii isn't precise enough to do that. All it can do is wild flailing.
thats kinda why they have made wii motion plus. i saw a review of it being used in red steel 2 and it looks like the thing to finally make the wii a descent console.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
ideitbawx said:
headshotcatcher said:
ideitbawx said:
... (not to mention the useless start menu & right-click menu buttons on every pc keyboard i've ever seen; do you have any idea how many games crashed on me because i accidentally hit the start menu button instead of alt? ...
Don't you realise what the Start/Windows button is for? It's for shortcuts.. For example, Start + E brings up the explorer screen and Start + F brings up the search screen. Not to mention the usefulness for people who didn't have a mouse back in the day or if your mouse crashes during a session.
i know exactly what it's for, and i know exactly how to use it; but every time i hit it by mistake during a game, it exits my game, brings be back to the desktop, and flips up the stupid start menu! what's worse, half my games will generally crash when you try to bring them back up again!! it's frustrating, especially if you've spent like half an hour or more between savepoints and have to start again from square one!

i seem a bit hasty in my text, but it's one thing that always pisses me off about pc games. but that's not the developers' fault; it's a mix of microsoft's "seemed good at the time" ideas, and my own personal retardation
I guess its more getting used to than its a flaw ;)

Nokillme92

Apr 15, 2009
Wasder said:
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Pi_Fighter said:
iJosh said:
Red Ring Of Death.
That doesn't really count because it is coverred in the warranty.
It still affects the gamers doesn't it? And it is a flaw. Sure you can get a new one, but that one will get RRoD too.
Another RRoD would be quickly reapaired/replaced, as per the warranty.
Depending on where you live, it doesn't actually take very long to get it done.

It has become a minor nuisance, not a major screwup.
Oh this reeks of fanboy. Havingto send off for a new one is not a "minor nuisance".
I speak from personal experience when I say this. In the 2.5ish years that I've had my Xbox, it has got the RRoD once. I called customer support and within 10 min. shipped it out. While it was away I realised I had sent my copy of Left 4 dead with it on accident. They sent back to me within 5 days; MY Xbox, not a replacement, 1 month of XBL, and a shiny new copy of Left 4 Dead (mine got in a scratching incident involving some tic-tacs and a staple gun...true story). So, if anything it wasn't even a minor nuisance...it was a plus!

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
Ummm I am going to go into old school territory...try to keep up.

First biggest flop has to be the Sega Genesis 32x and the Sega CD features. They were just horrible.

Then you have the Jaguar system....OMG was this system terrible, then they came out with a CD deck for it and it didn't even work.

You all sit here and talk about the Red Ring of Death, but look at the examples above and you will say that the RROD is nothing compared to the past.

Andantil

May 10, 2009
BIGGEST FLAW: CAN'T MOD, HACK, USE FOR THE MANY MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH A GAMING PC EXCELS AT, NO FORUMS, CAN;T TYPE IN CRUISE CONTROL ON SAID FORUMS, ONLINE IS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SET UP IF YOU USE A ROUTER AND DON;T WANT TO SPEND 100$ ON A WIRELESS ADAPTER WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED TO BEGIN WITH.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
YES BUT THE BIGGEST FLAW OF A PC IS IF YOU BREAK THE CAPSLOCK BUTTON YOU CAN'T SWITCH IT OFF AND YOU ARE STUCK IN CRUISE CONTROL.

But in all seriousness, The biggest console breaker was the Wii's memory, which I've sorted out with a little modding and now my Wii has a bigger hard drive then most peoples PS3s.

So the one that's most affected me would have to be the disc scratching 360, Which only was with the 360 1 and 4 for me.

ideitbawx

Jan 4, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
ideitbawx said:
headshotcatcher said:
ideitbawx said:
... (not to mention the useless start menu & right-click menu buttons on every pc keyboard i've ever seen; do you have any idea how many games crashed on me because i accidentally hit the start menu button instead of alt? ...
Don't you realise what the Start/Windows button is for? It's for shortcuts.. For example, Start + E brings up the explorer screen and Start + F brings up the search screen. Not to mention the usefulness for people who didn't have a mouse back in the day or if your mouse crashes during a session.
i know exactly what it's for, and i know exactly how to use it; but every time i hit it by mistake during a game, it exits my game, brings be back to the desktop, and flips up the stupid start menu! what's worse, half my games will generally crash when you try to bring them back up again!! it's frustrating, especially if you've spent like half an hour or more between savepoints and have to start again from square one!

i seem a bit hasty in my text, but it's one thing that always pisses me off about pc games. but that's not the developers' fault; it's a mix of microsoft's "seemed good at the time" ideas, and my own personal retardation
I guess its more getting used to than its a flaw ;)
true, i seem to be the only one with this issue, but it doesn't make sense to me to even have the button active when i'm trying to play a game. rarely will i want to stop a game part way through just so i can open notepad for some reason.

plus i typically don't use keyboard shortcuts.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
How can anything be worse than the RRoD? Honestly, some people...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Bob_F_It said:
A recurring thorn in the side I find is trying to play GameCube games on the Wii: you plug your pads in but you still need a Wiimote and sensor bar to start it.
The really asinine part of that is if you plug in a classic controller, you can move the cursor with the control stick.

EDIT: Man! The number of people here that I had to report because they just said that the Wii IS a console flaw is ridiculous. You ARE allowed to hate the Wii, but damnit, give a reason! There are good things about the Wii, whether you like it or not. You sound like a retarded fanboy when you make comments like that!

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
Andy_Panthro said:
PC - lack of optimization? In the majority of games you can alter a wide amount of graphics and sound options, as well as using different input methods.
What I had meant was that there are alot of games that even powerhouse PC's cant run properly. The most Recent and memorable being GTA IV.