Biggest Letdown in Anime

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
Soul Eater's anime ending is pretty damn horrendous, but that's been said many times already.

Neon Genesis Evangelion. You really begin to see how the budget fell apart in the last 3rd or so of the show with such limited or nonexistant animation, and Shinji's ultimate revelation is that as long as he perceives reality to be alright then it will be alright (or something like that; the last two episodes are so confusing, I'm still not completely sure), and that is called "delusion", children. I have not seen End of Evangelion, nor am I really interested in seeing it. I have to say, though, the first two "Rebuild" movies are actually pretty good. Then again, those two covered the parts of the show I actually liked: the monster of the week combat. And there's still another or two to be released (four years, IIRC, after the first two. -_-;). I'll check out the third and fourth Rebuild movies whenever they're localized; maybe they'll be worth watching.

For a less predictable choice, though: the fact that FUNimation stopped airing Case Closed on TV (both on Cartoon Network and the FUNimation Channel) after the Kansai Jimmy Kudo lookalike's first appearance (I think his name was Harley Hartwell or something) and never got to this "Kaitou Kid" I've heard about. (I need to start reading the manga again...)

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Haha, you guys don't know disappointment like I know disappointment.

The director who made animating Death Note interesting. The writers behind Code Geass. Character designs by Redjuice. Music done by Ryo from Supercell*. A prestigous noitminA timeslot.

And they end up making Guilty Crown.

*Even if everyone else did, Ryo did not disappoint. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3dxVJPKV4&list=FL1m_nVkRWdyqjhmKd9UzEFg&index=8&feature=plpp_video]

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Buretsu said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
Bleach having a satisfying conclusion.

Towards the end of the final battle with the main antagonist, Aizen, the main protagonist, Ichigo, overpowers him with his final, forbidden technique and essentially defeats him. After using the technique, Ichigo collapses and wakes up a month later, discovering that he is losing his powers. As his powers begin to completely disappear, he bids farewell to his comrades and friends that he cannot communicate without the aid of his powers.

And that is how the series should have ended.

Instead, they chose to skip forward 17 months, where Ichigo and his friends are attending school and living normal lives. He is then confronted by a shady organization that wants to help him regain the powers that he lost and fight off an new enemy. He regains his powers, betrayal ensues, and his former comrades return to aid him in the fight, only to take down the threat who is no match for them.

The story is still on going and I'm glad that there will be more Bleach, but it really missed one of those rare opportunities to end a series well.
Well, considering that the latest Bleach chapter in Japan mentioned it being 'the beginning of the final arc' I'd say they're going to get another chance..
Yeah, but an ending needs to be fitting, not announced. Chances are that they will try to wrap everything up as quickly as possible and I don't know any better ending for the series to have now than the cliched "hero continues on to fight evil" open ending or the cliched time skip to XX years and having the next generation of heroes fight the good fight.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Claymore

The show was alright for the first four episodes but got fantastic for episodes five through eleven. Then something goes wrong. Episodes twelve through fourteen are iffy and then it really descends into shit. Episodes fifteen through twenty six are worthless. They are devoid of any significant plot or character developments consisting only of one drawn-out, dry battle after another all climaxing with an even more drawn-out, dry battle. The fight scenes are hardly even good. It's twelve episodes of utter boredom. I was all prepared to name this my new favorite anime now I think of the show as an enormous letdown.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
The end of Soul Eater.

Killed the Kishin with love?! Really?!?!?!

And Trinity Blood just because it's a damn cliff hanger.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion (revival): It still is one of my favorite anime of all time but, with the coming of the revival movies they changed far too much for me to like them asmuch as I do the anime. also, fuck Kaworu Nagisa

Full Metal Alchemist: after having watch the anime and Conqueror of Shambala, the endings felt so..... unsatisfying.

Hellishkratos

Mar 17, 2011
Death Note, after you-know-who died. Before that it was the best thing ever, a really good life-and-death chess game between two intellectuals. After that though it really went down hill.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Darth Carr said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (revival): It still is one of my favorite anime of all time but, with the coming of the revival movies they changed far too much for me to like them asmuch as I do the anime. also, fuck Kaworu Nagisa

Full Metal Alchemist: after having watch the anime and Conqueror of Shambala, the endings felt so..... unsatisfying.
Out of curiosity. What changes in the Rebuild movies do you not like? No major spoilers if you can help it. As far as I heard, the plot is mostly similar but the characterizations are different (i.e. fewer psychological breakdowns and mental issues in general).

Edit: While I'm on that note. Evangelion. It's kinda cool, but I feel it's overhyped. Not that I go into shows with massive expectations. That never works out well. Really though. STILL FRAMES. They kinda killed it, even if I know the reasoning for them.
End of Eva is also pretty cool, but the ending is a total mindfuck. I get the general idea of it and all thanks to Eva Wiki, but the ending is seriously bleak as hell too.
Lastly, I don't see why Rei is so popular. This is coming from a Nagato fan. I don't see their similarities and Rei isn't all that cute for someone who is supposedly a shining emblem for "moe." It's probably because I don't ship Rei/Shinji nearly as hard as I do Kyon/Yuki (since I'm not a massive Shinji fan, not that I outright hate him).

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Darth Carr said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (revival): It still is one of my favorite anime of all time but, with the coming of the revival movies they changed far too much for me to like them as much as I do the anime. also, fuck Kaworu Nagisa

Out of curiosity. What changes in the Rebuild movies do you not like? No major spoilers if you can help it. As far as I heard, the plot is mostly similar but the characterizations are different (i.e. fewer psychological breakdowns and mental issues in general).
The characterisations are very different, for instance, Asuka is no longer infatuated with Kaji and Rei isnt quite as distant as before.
Another thing that bugs me about it is the fact that the ordering of the angels have changed and new ones have been added.
Its not that I dont like them, its just that I became attached to the anime and the changes prevent me from loving it as much as I rightly should.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Darth Carr said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Darth Carr said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (revival): It still is one of my favorite anime of all time but, with the coming of the revival movies they changed far too much for me to like them as much as I do the anime. also, fuck Kaworu Nagisa

The characterisations are very different, for instance, Asuka is no longer infatuated with Kaji and Rei isnt quite as distant as before.
Another thing that bugs me about it is the fact that the ordering of the angels have changed and new ones have been added.
Its not that I dont like them, its just that I became attached to the anime and the changes prevent me from loving it as much as I rightly should.
That's all understandable then. I still have to watch the Rebuild movies. The original series and End of Eva left a bad taste in my brother's mouth since the hype backlash hit him a lot harder. Mostly because he can't stand Shinji and the psychological issues of the cast. He thought Asuka would be fine, but she turned out to be as broken as everyone else.

Currently, we have to kick out Noir so he can finally watch Haruhi because I bought myself Disappearance. I doubt he'd appreciate it properly since we'll probably rush through it and nothing will sink in properly. Then we'll probably get to Rebuild. I'm curious as to how he'll take them. I know that he doesn't completely hate the series yet, since he bought himself an Eva 01 figure and is considering buying a $20 can of coffee from Japan for an Asuka figurine.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
I completely agree Soul Eaters ending was stupid. I wasn't that surprised when i then learnt they had stopped following the manga... seems a common thing for anime to get kinda crappy when it stops following it's manga source.
(though FullMetal Alachemist wasn't terrible despite doing this. Not as good as botherhood but still not completely bad)

FMA i will also mention though cause it's ending was pretty unfulfilling. (i'm talking about the movie). Though i think i was cushioned against that blow's real force by the fact that brotherhood was available to jump straight into, so it probably bothered me less than it would have had that not been the case.

Does it count if I say the dissappearance of huruhi movie, simply because after it finished i wanted more haruhi but there is no more made to go on to XD

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
Pumpkin scissors anime ending (the fact i cant find the manga anywhere makes it worse)
Samurai x reflections (why ruin a happy ending?)
Code geass R2 (f*ck you ougi)

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Kapri said:
The end of Soul Eater.

Killed the Kishin with love?! Really?!?!?!
That's how
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
ends. That kind of ending has a venerable pedigree.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist's ending in the first anime. It came pretty much out of nowhere and left me numb for a week with shock that anyone could write such a terrible ending. It had nothing to do with the rest of the show, and while I think Brotherhood was a bit rushed it certainly ended on a note that fit more with the themes of the series.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kapri said:
And Trinity Blood just because it's a damn cliff hanger.
Not helped by Sunao Yoshida's death... :/ which means any continuation of the anime would be original and probably crap...

And on that thought: Nurarihyon no Mago - Sennen Makyou... biggest anticlimax ever... (big bad just scuttles away with a non-announcement... uh-th'wha?!)

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
You know, a lot of people here have brought up the part of Soul Eater's ending where Maka kills Asura with a punch of love (it's been said multiple times already, what's the point of spoilers there?). Frankly, while that's kind of disappointing, I think that it's nothing compared to the big-lipped alligator moment that happens in the same episode. You know, the part where

...Maka suddenly sprouts scythe blades and fights Asura herself.

I can sort of see how it COULD make sense, but it really doesn't. There is no foreshadowing that this is possible. It comes out of nowhere and it vanishes into nowhere after it happens as if this didn't happen. After all, nobody else sees this happen except Asura: the Kishin has a barrier around him blocking out everything inside from outside viewers, and everybody inside the barrier has been knocked out by him. Everybody. Including Maka. Who is fighting Asura while unconscious. With scythes that suddenly grew from her body.

There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's pulling stuff out of hammerspace.

The "courage punch" is Grade-A cheese, but it's not as random or facepalm-worthy as that.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Yakitate!! Japan: A wonderfully melodramatic anime about baking bread. And it is AWESOME.

Sadly, they ran out of funding or something, because the third and final season left out a lot of material from the manga in order to quickly get to a rushed, mostly unsatisfactory ending.

Despite that, I say it's still completely worth watching. It's just THAT GOOD. But the lackluster ending makes me want to track down the manga just to see how it should have happened...

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Soul Eater loses a lot after the first half. Which is a shame, as the first half of the show (aka everything until the Keishin is released) is really good.
That was a really shameful ending to a really good show. The show had something a lot of action anime needed or rather ongoingly needs more of, female protagonists. The art style is also fresh, and it just in general has a great 'attitude' about it.

I still own the DVDs of this anime because despite this, it's still an overall pretty good anime.