Biggest plot holes in games

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:
halo 4, how did chief and cortana know who the didact was? this with the bad plot and writting in the game is what made its story total shite, it makes no sense, chief was in crystaisis for years and we had never met a forerunner before and it doesnt help that no one in the story asks any question of anykind about the forerunners. just a terrible story.
I did question this at first, on my second play through I noticed how they knew his name.

When The Didact comes out of his Cryptum, all of The Covenenant reverently say "Didact" while bowing down.

I'm not making excuses for poor story telling here, but reading the books gives much more insight into the Didact's motives.
i have read two of the books, fall of reach and ghost of onxys and they gave little on the forerunners. I dont think i should have to read the books to fully understand a story, the books and the games are two separate thing and should have self contained story's, its fine for them to both refrence each other or share characters and themes but they should have separate plots. no one should have to read books (which are very average and derivative of other, better speculative fiction) to fully understand a story in a game, if they have they have failed as story tells.

for what you have said, that is still not a reason why they would have known who and what a didact was, even if they knew what it was called they have no way of knowing what the didact did or use to do on the rings, in good speculative fiction the main characters would have asked questions, talked or speculated on what the didact was, this could all have been done as battle chatter in gameplay and would have solved one of the larger issues with the game.

there would still be the problem of the spartan 4s and there unexplained apperanse. and the lack of depth in chiefs and cortanas relationship.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Akratus said:
Reapers in ME3. They collect people to make more reapers. But as soon as they land they say 'Fuck THAT!' and just stomp around and fire lasers at BUILDINGS. No nanotech, biotech weapons whatsoever. Destroying all civilization in the universe. By stepping on their buildings and firing lasers at them.

Not as big as the the catalyst's logic though, ofcourse.

A double whammy completely knocking the reaper's villain status and credibility out of the park.
I opt to simply ignore that part of the story. And should anyone even mention the words "Human Reaper" I shut my ears tight and go "Lalalala can't hear you! Lalalalala can't hear you!"
What's wrong with the human reaper? It's stated somewhere that the outer husks of the reapers all look the same, but the interior resembles more of the species that was used to make it! Also it was a much better idea than Human Fetus Reaper that was a concept design, especially when you would be tasked to kill it. Imagine the Pro-Life outrage at it!

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:
halo 4, how did chief and cortana know who the didact was? this with the bad plot and writting in the game is what made its story total shite, it makes no sense, chief was in crystaisis for years and we had never met a forerunner before and it doesnt help that no one in the story asks any question of anykind about the forerunners. just a terrible story.
I did question this at first, on my second play through I noticed how they knew his name.

When The Didact comes out of his Cryptum, all of The Covenenant reverently say "Didact" while bowing down.

I'm not making excuses for poor story telling here, but reading the books gives much more insight into the Didact's motives.
i have read two of the books, fall of reach and ghost of onxys and they gave little on the forerunners. I dont think i should have to read the books to fully understand a story, the books and the games are two separate thing and should have self contained story's, its fine for them to both refrence each other or share characters and themes but they should have separate plots. no one should have to read books (which are very average and derivative of other, better speculative fiction) to fully understand a story in a game, if they have they have failed as story tells.

for what you have said, that is still not a reason why they would have known who and what a didact was, even if they knew what it was called they have no way of knowing what the didact did or use to do on the rings, in good speculative fiction the main characters would have asked questions, talked or speculated on what the didact was, this could all have been done as battle chatter in gameplay and would have solved one of the larger issues with the game.

there would still be the problem of the spartan 4s and there unexplained apperanse. and the lack of depth in chiefs and cortanas relationship.
The problem isn't just Cheif and Cortana's knowledge of the Diadect, it's the Diadect and his motivations in general. The flood is defeated, the forerunners are practically extinct, humanity has not shown any undue aggression to him, yet he immediately gets back on the genocide bandwagon. It's like if FDR came back to life and ordered an invasion of Germany because they were our enemies in WWII, it's stupid.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

The problem isn't just Cheif and Cortana's knowledge of the Diadect, it's the Diadect and his motivations in general. The flood is defeated, the forerunners are practically extinct, humanity has not shown any undue aggression to him, yet he immediately gets back on the genocide bandwagon. It's like if FDR came back to life and ordered an invasion of Germany because they were our enemies in WWII, it's stupid.
don't get me wrong there are many problem in the game, but the one i felt that having chief an almost non entity in the story was the game biggest crime. but you are right the didact in general was a terrible and unnecessary part of the game. he lacked clear motives and only interacted with player twice during a cutsence, he also lack any character development.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Jeez, can't discuss any plot in a game these days without ME3 popping up. I mean, I get it, but still.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

don't get me wrong there are many problem in the game, but the one i felt that having chief an almost non entity in the story was the game biggest crime. but you are right the didact in general was a terrible and unnecessary part of the game. he lacked clear motives and only interacted with player twice during a cutsence, he also lack any character development.
Not to mention the final fight. Literally all you have to do is push a button. And here I was thinking the battle against guilty spark was lackluster, but at least bungie gave you control, not a stupidly easy QTE.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

Not to mention the final fight. Literally all you have to do is push a button. And here I was thinking the battle against guilty spark was lackluster, but at least bungie gave you control, not a stupidly easy QTE.
it was a shallow and lazy ending to a shallow and underdeveloped character, god this game was disappointing

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Mass Effect 3.
Not any particular part of it just the whole game.
You know like "How did Councilor Anderson become Admiral Anderson in the blink of an eye?"
Okay I'll stop beating that dead horse.

Xcom Enemy Unknown (Spoilers ahead, not that it matters)
At the end of the game...
Seriously, spoilers. I'm not going to tag them because the story in Xcom is pointless.
The ship is going to implode into a black whole and your Psyonic guy stays behind to drive the ship out of Earth's atmosphere before that happens.

So instead of there being a black hole INSIDE the atmosphere there's a black hole RIGHT OUTSIDE the atmosphere.
That's still going to destroy the planet. Did your engineers get their degrees on line? Fuck.

I know I said I was going to leave the dead horse alone but...
Woodsey said:
Rawne1980 said:
bloodrayne626 said:
Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

--------

I can do this all day!
Well, that isn't a plot hole, so perhaps not. They've worked together in between the space of ME2 and 3. That's it.
If you talked to James (The fight scene) they close that particular loop hole when Shepard says.
"I didn't have access to Alliance personal files when you joined."
So Shepard and James never worked together.
The first scene of the game when James salutes and says "Commander" is the first time James has ever seen Shepard in person.
It's a plot hole. and it's the first spoken line of dialog in the game. Mass Effect 3 was shit.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
texanarob said:
Prototype: The game where we kill innocents for fun, kill a few more for health, allowing us to fight the bad guys who may be threatening to harm innocents.
That's not really a plot hole. More just the archetype of an antihero.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
Neronium said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I might be able to answer how the mutants get out. Vault 87 probably has many holes in the wall and the Lamplight caves are so expansive that they probably have alternate routes out. Although that is still very unlikely. Still it annoys me that they are even there in the first place since Vault Tec shouldn't even have F.E.V in the first place since it was supposed to be at Mariposa only. I highly doubt that the military would allow Vault-Tec to get a hold of F.E.V. As for the Enclave that one is quite stupid indeed, plus I don't even think the Enclave should've been there because unless they were all at the Chicago base.
What about the backdoor you can't open? You know the one labeled on the map? Above ground? With the dead dude in a radsuit and a suit case. The one absolutely packed with rads requiring constant doses of radaway and rad resistance just to get close to? seems like the perfect place for them to come out of vault 87 from...

As for the Enclave, didn't they drop out of the ceiling? maybe they burrowed down through the ground? As for the rest, no idea... I'm sure someone could come up with a plausible explanation. However FEV could have been spread before the war. Military's and people with money have really never been mutually exclusive groups, and the people who make history for others to write down are rarely reliable narrators... Then again I'm not very familiar with the series in game lore, so maybe the places F.E.V. could possibly be located are very specifically implied, listed or stated in the first two games.

Still it seems like information control followed by misinformation and/or misdirection are highly likely, from what I've seen of the in-game history of F3 and N.V. Which if so, could allow for the possibility of F.E.V. in Vault 87.

Quantumsheep

Aug 25, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Rawne1980 said:
Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.
I disagree. I felt the game did a good job of showing that Mages are people who want basic freedoms that everyone else is allowed to have and showed them as people, while at the same time is showed that the Templars are needed because the Mages simply can't be normal people. Knight-Captain Cullen said it best: "There was a time when a Templar at the door was a welcomed sight among the people. Now though, people are just as likely to slam that door in our face than help us. The image of the chained apprentice is one the mages are all too willing to use." Still, I think it could have been done a LOT better in the game and I agree that, at times, it felt like the game was telling you one thing but showing you another. I think a lot of the things that happened in that game could have been avoided if people just sat down and listened to each other.

Anyway, my biggest plot hole at the moment is the best ending in Black Ops II. The game even calls attention to it: "Where the hell have you been for the past thirty years?" A very good question...that the writers totally forgot to answer.

The original ending to Mass Effect 3 still bugs me, but I feel that has been talked about to death. Extended cut bugs me too, though slightly less. Only slightly.

Ezio's failure to act at the end of Assassin's Creed II. He just got through killing dozens of innocent guards minutes before, and NOW he decides he's done killing? Everyone who died in Brotherhood is dead because of that.
Speaking of which, in Assassin's Creed III, why doesn't Desmond pull out the Apple in the beginning? It's not like he didn't have it all the time.

Why is the Didact in Halo 4 doing what he's doing? The Flood has been destroyed. He has no reason to declare war on humanity.

Those are all that I can think of at the moment, though I know there are more that have bothered me over the years. I'm not even sure some of those are plot holes, or just bad writing.
The Didact wanted to stop humanity from "ascending" and obtaining "the Mantle of Responsibility", remember? He talks about it in the cutscene immediately after he wakes up, I'm not sure how you missed it. Granted, it's is still a little silly, because humans are the best species available to take up the Mantle and he's essentially pulling a "If we can't have it, no-one will". (And really you could break it down even further and say he's just a big fat racist). But it is still a motivation, if not a very good one.

Quantumsheep

Aug 25, 2012
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

Guys, I agree that Halo 4's story sucked for all kinds of reasons, but the Didact's motivation was made perfectly clear. He doesn't want humanity running the universe, because he's a racist who thinks only Forerunners should do that. Did none of you catch all his ranting about the Mantle of Responsibility? Silly motivation, but it was there.

My two big problems with Halo 4's story (well, biggest) are A. Is the Covenant-Human War on again, or what? Because that is important shit to know, with all kinds of huge in-universe implications, and as far as I can tell no-one ever says who this faction they're fighting is, or how powerful they are, or how the revelation of these Forerunners might affect relations with the other alien species who aren't a part of this (apparently) extremist faction...I could go on, but basically, none of this is addressed, and it's been driving me crazy. And B. Why the hell couldn't the Forerunners have used the Composer against the Flood? It turns organic matter into digital matter, and can somehow be calibrated so that it only takes very specific targets, with no collateral damage whatsoever. It's the perfect weapon against them. Screw immortality, screw the Halos, they should have built fleets of Composers and wiped them out forever, because they're better in every conceivable way. The only possible flaw I can see in this plan is that the Librarian (somehow) made Chief immune to this process that disintegrates living tissue through "genetic manipulation", and if there's anything the Flood are good at, it's genetic manipulation. But despite that incredibly easy out, the possibility is never brought up by anyone.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
alphamalet said:
In Persona 3
everyone is supposed to lose their memory after the final battle, and they do, but then at the very end they all get their collective memory back at the same time? Seems rather convenient
Although it's not really explained how they got back their memories (I'm saying it's shenanigans with Social Links), they did all make a promise to get back together on Graduation Day which conveniently was also the day on which the MC was able to hold out till before dying(?).

Though what I'm more confused about in that game is Strega. Their actions never really made much sense to me.

OT: Halo 4. I've not even finished the game but it's plot... *retches*

Also every single plot that involves a Time Paradox, even if they are awesome they still barely make any sense.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Quantumsheep said:
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

Guys, I agree that Halo 4's story sucked for all kinds of reasons, but the Didact's motivation was made perfectly clear. He doesn't want humanity running the universe, because he's a racist who thinks only Forerunners should do that. Did none of you catch all his ranting about the Mantle of Responsibility? Silly motivation, but it was there.

My two big problems with Halo 4's story (well, biggest) are A. Is the Covenant-Human War on again, or what? Because that is important shit to know, with all kinds of huge in-universe implications, and as far as I can tell no-one ever says who this faction they're fighting is, or how powerful they are, or how the revelation of these Forerunners might affect relations with the other alien species who aren't a part of this (apparently) extremist faction...I could go on, but basically, none of this is addressed, and it's been driving me crazy. And B. Why the hell couldn't the Forerunners have used the Composer against the Flood? It turns organic matter into digital matter, and can somehow be calibrated so that it only takes very specific targets, with no collateral damage whatsoever. It's the perfect weapon against them. Screw immortality, screw the Halos, they should have built fleets of Composers and wiped them out forever, because they're better in every conceivable way. The only possible flaw I can see in this plan is that the Librarian (somehow) made Chief immune to this process that disintegrates living tissue through "genetic manipulation", and if there's anything the Flood are good at, it's genetic manipulation. But despite that incredibly easy out, the possibility is never brought up by anyone.
I never said he lacked motivation, just that his justification was monumentally stupid. These aren't even the same humans he fought thousands of years ago, yet we are supposed to swallow that his asinine grudge provides sufficient motivation for mass genocide. Though you do make a good point, if the composer is effectively a gigantic death laser of doom that instantly dissolves biological matter, why wouldn't it work on the flood? While we are on the topic of the composer, why did the Diadect need a constant supply of humans to create Promethians? Did they not have hard drives or anything, no way to, I don't know, STORE data? I mean, look at the Prometheans, they aren't made biological material, so you obviously don't need a fresh supply of human. On a side note, does anyone find the ending where Cortana "shields" Chief illogical. He was right on top of the goddamn nuke, had she shielded him like she did, it would only serve to contain the blast in that immediate area, leaving the composer intact and reducing cheif to ash.

Quantumsheep

Aug 25, 2012
Lucky Godzilla said:
Quantumsheep said:
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

I never said he lacked motivation, just that his justification was monumentally stupid. These aren't even the same humans he fought thousands of years ago, yet we are supposed to swallow that his asinine grudge provides sufficient motivation for mass genocide. Though you do make a good point, if the composer is effectively a gigantic death laser of doom that instantly dissolves biological matter, why wouldn't it work on the flood? While we are on the topic of the composer, why did the Diadect need a constant supply of humans to create Promethians? Did they not have hard drives or anything, no way to, I don't know, STORE data? I mean, look at the Prometheans, they aren't made biological material, so you obviously don't need a fresh supply of human. On a side note, does anyone find the ending where Cortana "shields" Chief illogical. He was right on top of the goddamn nuke, had she shielded him like she did, it would only serve to contain the blast in that immediate area, leaving the composer intact and reducing cheif to ash.
Racism is always an illogical motivation, but there's no reason it can't be done well. He doesn't believe that humans (the species in general, which apparently has not significantly changed since his time) are capable of ruling the universe without fucking it up. Not that the game ever makes this point, but if one looks at Earth today, he has a good point there. Humanity has a lot of flaws, and while that's certainly true of the Forerunners, being blind to one's faults is a perfectly acceptable motivation. We can argue back and forth over whether it's a good motivation or not (I think average at absolute best, given that it fits pretty well into the rest of the game's stupid plot, and is really just underdeveloped, as are all the characters) but the motive exists, and therefore isn't a plothole. On the nuke: I had no fucking idea how that worked, and assumed I must have missed something important, because I have no idea how she shielded him from a point-blank range nuclear explosion. And, did he need a constant supply of humans? I don't recall the logistics of that ever being addressed at all. Which is for the best, because one really has to wonder why they couldn't just use AIs instead of human minds which they somehow brainwashed. (Because they had AIs, called ancillas, but they were AIs.)

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
crazyrabbits said:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole (under the "Video Games" section)
The God of War example still bothers me because that's my favorite franchise. I dread whenever brings this up because I just go slack-jawed.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Quantumsheep said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
Quantumsheep said:
wolf thing said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
wolf thing said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
wolf thing said:

Racism is always an illogical motivation, but there's no reason it can't be done well. He doesn't believe that humans (the species in general, which apparently has not significantly changed since his time) are capable of ruling the universe without fucking it up. Not that the game ever makes this point, but if one looks at Earth today, he has a good point there. Humanity has a lot of flaws, and while that's certainly true of the Forerunners, being blind to one's faults is a perfectly acceptable motivation. We can argue back and forth over whether it's a good motivation or not (I think average at absolute best, given that it fits pretty well into the rest of the game's stupid plot, and is really just underdeveloped, as are all the characters) but the motive exists, and therefore isn't a plothole. On the nuke: I had no fucking idea how that worked, and assumed I must have missed something important, because I have no idea how she shielded him from a point-blank range nuclear explosion. And, did he need a constant supply of humans? I don't recall the logistics of that ever being addressed at all. Which is for the best, because one really has to wonder why they couldn't just use AIs instead of human minds which they somehow brainwashed. (Because they had AIs, called ancillas, but they were AIs.)
Moral of the story, all justification for any event that occurs in halo 4 when put under scrutiny are kind of dumb