Biggest waste of money

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
The Assassin's creed 2 DLCs. Weren't terrible, but just to short to warrant a purchase.
It wasn't the fact that the DLC's were terrible. But they were very short and not worth the 800 points.

mrfusspot

May 19, 2009
Oh wait: DLC
In that case, the mission pack for Guild Wars. Though that's simply because I haven't used it as much as I should have... Money wasted on something I haven't played.

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Nobody said outfits for avatars on the 360? Then I will.

Outfits for avatars on the xbox 360. You can end up paying like 5-10$ just for clothes to put on your avatar, that have literally no benefit at all other than being able to look at something different. Not to mention that there is next to no (GOOD) games that let you even play as your avatar on the 360.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
I'd say buying Timeshift as my first Xbox 360 game. I thought it sucked and I'd never really played a shooter before.

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Not really a waste of money because I loved the game (its more of a regret really) but the regular version of Fallout 3. If I had just waited a few weeks I could have bought the Game of the Year edition that came with all the DLC campaigns instead of having to download them all. Would have saved myself a buttload of money.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rollerblades when I was like 9 or something. They costed me about 60 gilders at the time (a fortune for any 8 year old) and I might've used them...three times?

If I wouldn've bought those, I would've been able to buy Pokémon Red with my GameBoy Pocket when I bought that a year later. But because of those stupid rollerblades I had to wait a couple of months before I could actually get the game. My GameBoy was just sitting there, being completely useless.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Biggest waste of money? For me it is the publishers club.

I Have a small interest in 3 things but the rest of it I don't care about so £6.50 going up to £13 is a big waste.

For something I have actually bought. God of war 3, I have never been fond of hack and slashers do to there repetitive nature but I thought I will give it a go due to it's high prise round here.

It's what I expected, repetitive combat (square, square, triangle being the best combo for individuals and L1 and square bashing for large groups), a rather poor story, only one hard enemy and big boss battles, that needed an easy to figure out approach.

Pretty graphics and the violence make up for that a little but it was a big waste, since I could just afford it aswell.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the point of Co-Op DLC is that it's a feature people want that they can cut out and make you pay for. It's part of the ever increasing game industry money grab. Sort of like how in fighting games you used to unlock new costumes and such by playing, now they want you to pay for them if you want them.

As far as the MW2 pack goes, I personally find it kind of offensive starting with the game "Stimulus Pack" sort of strikes me as "this is going to make us tons more money by exploiting fans who will buy this irregardless of how ridiculous it is, and even if we frankly say what it is in the title".

As far as the biggest waste of money... well I did donate $10/buy points to the "Zork" browser game despite it blowing chips and not really playing it, simply due to my nostolgic love of the franchise and the vein hope that somehow it might rise again if this made money.

I played the old Zork text adventures on the C-64, and even had some of the "Choose your own adventure" type novels. :)

Generally speaking though that's a massive waste of money, especially given my reason for doing it.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
J03bot said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Snipped because I just want to mention your avatar
Your avatar is Judgement! That's awesome! I want Golden Sun DS to come out...
Hell yeah! :D - Golden Sun 1 & 2 are one of my favorite RPG's of all time, i can't wait for the DS version :]

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I would say the horse armor in Oblivion. What's worse is that every bandit, thug, boar, wolf, imp, goblin, and even the god damn crabs will ignore everything else and try to kill your horse. My horse doesn't even have any valuables on it.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Oblivion: GOTY was a big waste, I never played more than 5 or 6 hours of it.

Red Faction Guerilla was a waste. I played it through once and never touched it again.

darmey

Sep 10, 2008
omega 616 said:
Aww, beat me to it. Although I wouldn't have emphasized it as just my personal opinion as if people who choose to pay for it are not special in the head.

Scribjerky

Apr 4, 2010
Gauntlet Legends: Seven Sorrows.

It was a sad day. I'd never taken a game back on the day I purchased it before. First time for everything I guess.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
omega 616 said:

I Have a small interest in 3 things but the rest of it I don't care about so £6.50 going up to £13 is a big waste.
darmey said:
Aww, beat me to it. Although I wouldn't have emphasized it as just my personal opinion as if people who choose to pay for it are not special in the head.
That depends on how you look at it. The money for the perks could be seen as a waste, but that's not really why a lot of people have joined it. This site isn't free to make, but it's made very well and they put a lot of effort into keeping it running. So some people have joined in order to help support it.

It's fair enough if people don't want to, not everyone has the spare cash or the desire to spend it on something like this, but I wouldn't really say it's a waste. I mean, the amount of money in the first year equates to about how much I'd normally spend on lunch for two days of work.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Legion said:
omega 616 said:

darmey said:
That depends on how you look at it. The money for the perks could be seen as a waste, but that's not really why a lot of people have joined it. This site isn't free to make, but it's made very well and they put a lot of effort into keeping it running. So some people have joined in order to help support it.

It's fair enough if people don't want to, not everyone has the spare cash or the desire to spend it on something like this, but I wouldn't really say it's a waste. I mean, the amount of money in the first year equates to about how much I'd normally spend on lunch for two days of work.
I am all for supporting this site but being on this site supports it, granted not by as much.

Unless there having major financial problems, then why has it gone from free for all to quite expensive? Say 20 people have joined this club thats $200 extra this year, next year it will be $400 atleast.

Why the sudden money grabbing nature, if any other game company pulled this there would be threads galore saying "company X grabbing more money", why do we hate Bobby Kotick again?

I am kind of implying the escapist has become a bit of a money grabber or there in some money trouble.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
omega 616 said:
Legion said:
omega 616 said:

darmey said:

I am all for supporting this site but being on this site supports it, granted not by as much.

Unless there having major financial problems, then why has it gone from free for all to quite expensive? Say 20 people have joined this club thats $200 extra this year, next year it will be $400 atleast.

Why the sudden money grabbing nature, if any other game company pulled this there would be threads galore saying "company X grabbing more money", why do we hate Bobby Kotick again?

I am kind of implying the escapist has become a bit of a money grabber or there in some money trouble.
*shrugs* Either may be right, but fortunately it is not mandatory and nothing has been taken away, so I don't think they can be accused of being "money grabbing". It is not like Microsoft who make it so that if you do not pay for extra DLC then you cannot play with your friends in ranked games and whatnot.

As long as the quality of the site for non-premium members is not lowered then I personally see no issue with it. I can understand why others may not support the idea though.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Horse Armour in Oblivion lol, the best horse in the game can't die that being Shadowmere, why would you need a horse with armour that can still die? It's not like the bipolar citizens of Oblivion will look in awe at your horses new shining armour seeing as you can't take it into the cities anyway.

Faraldd

Apr 14, 2010
Does WoW count? Could've used those hundreds of euros to something a lot wiser.

Also, like few other people mentioned, Nintendo DS and Guitar Hero: World Tour (for PS2 *sigh*), only few good songs, played probably 3-4 hours total >.> what a waste of 70 euros. As for NDS, I've started playing it a bit more, since the new Pokemon is so nostalgic, I had to get it, but I still regret buying it for 150 euros.

McBurks

May 8, 2009
ThePreshFrince said:
The Mets starting lineup. Fifth highest payroll in the entire league apparently equals fifth place in the NL East
So sad and true.

OT:Every PS3/360 game that is $60.I remember in the good ol days where I didn't have to whore myself out for extra money just to buy a game.