Biggest WTF endings in games

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
So, I was playing the very last level of Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS. I was about to start it, not knowing what I was getting into, and then I saw...

Giant floating bananas and strawberries as platforms!! What the frick!!

I know this does not sound interesting but it was to me. :D

It was a very...interesting level and kinda threw me for a loop but it was enjoyable though. So Escapists, what are some WTF endings you've seen in games? :D

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
You can opt for a Nothingness Ending, as an early ending that even works with New Game+. I thought it was a Chaos/Law decision and ended up choosing "Return the world to nothingness." I caused a black hole that destroyed everything. Yay destruction!

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Before anyone else does:

Braid
Has a perfectly fine ending that is a clever subversion on "Hero saves Princess" Stories that teaches about how things are often a matter of perspective.

But then there is an epilogue and the girl is suddenly an atomic bomb and then Jon Blow is disappointed that no one understood his game.

Metal Gear Solid 2:
I guess it was released before it's time.
It's sort of a meta commentary on games, and storytelling in games and memes (not the cheezburger cat ones) that pissed most fans of in one way or another.

Killer 7:
Uh...good luck with that one. Psychic personality disorders and foreign politics and cycles (not the bike ones) and whatnot

Earthworm Jim 2:
Everyone turns out to be a cow, and you really should've seen this coming

Hotline Miami
Probably the least "WTF" one, but very clever and meta. Basically you find out who is behind everything, and when you confront them, they will outright refuse to tell you what thier whole plan has been about, mocking you for suddenly wanting an excuse for all the violence you have caused. You CAN find out thier true agenda, however, it turns out to be a flimsy excuse of a plot that kinda has nothing to do with the game.

Catherine
Most endings have a somewhat profound message about relationships. Some (or at least one of them) really, really don't. But if you are "good enough" and honest about adultery, you may become an awesome demon king or something.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008

NO.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

ARTGOISJEVLKMWLSAEKJPROIJQ

So I fought back, from the beginning of the game, all the way, with the god damned stupid god damned useless bracelet.

Ran out of time on the boss every single time-- never could do enough damage before the god forsaken time limit.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I did play this one game. It was called Mass Effect 3.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
thiosk said:

NO.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

ARTGOISJEVLKMWLSAEKJPROIJQ

So I fought back, from the beginning of the game, all the way, with the god damned stupid god damned useless bracelet.

Ran out of time on the boss every single time-- never could do enough damage before the god forsaken time limit.
Ghosts N Goblins is a shit or get off the pot type of game. When you pop that son of a ***** into the console, you know what you are getting into. Here is what happened to me after I beat the game once.

Me: I have to go through this crap again. Well good because now I am super pissed off. The second time I went through it, I was a god. Being pissed off about the ending, made me hone my skills to fly through it in a rage.

Murgen

Aug 7, 2013
At the time, Soulbringer surprised me. I mean you did not have any options, until the very end...

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Monkey Island 2.

It's almost, but not quite, nothing to do with the pirate adventure that precedes it.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Sacman said:
There can only be one! Drakengard...<.<

We have a winner!! Maybe the game puts this into context? I hope. Wtf giant demon babies, and a cliffhanger.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Fox12 said:
Well, I did play this one game. It was called Mass Effect 3.

Theres low hanging fruit and then fruit thats already been picked.... but yeah Mass Effect 3

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Hmm... I really can't say anything more than BioShock: Infinite, especially since I am made of original sin and didn't get every single voxophone and didn't hear every single dialogue line from boring Section B, room I-2 to prepare for it.

Edit: However this little ending can't get away with it, Halo 4.

Cortana rescues Chief from a nuclear device that he's literally cradling in his arms. She takes him to some strange place with no gravity before well, her big scene shows up... WHAT!? Are you shitting me? He was waiting to die, if you get to die then so should he, Cortana. You split yourself up into a dozen clones, how on earth (or whatever planet from Halo) did you do that, and more importantly: why? Cortana's death is not explained either to be honest, she just seems to fade away. I know most of her was gone but, really, wow, it's pretty bad.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
F.E.A.R 2 will always win this one for me. BioShock Infinite blew my mind, Mass Effect 3 made my jaw drop in disbelief, Spec Ops: The Line made me hate myself and be physically ill, and The Last Of Us made my hands shake and eyes water.

But nothing tops F.E.A.R 2's ending. Never before have I watched an ending, stared at the screen, and then gone to the internet to watch it again just to make sure that what I thought had just happened, happened. And it did. It totally did. That ending came at me with a bat and said, "Hey, look!" Just...who comes up with something like that?

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Well there's this game called Draken...
Sacman said:
There can only be one! Drakengard...<.<

dammit. I never played it, but saw a lets play of it because I heard it was so WTF. And it was. Oh God it was. Just to add more fuel to the fire. And if anyone wants to check out the whole game, check it out here.
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Borderlands 1... I think they were trying to make fun of people who actually wanted there to be a storyline.
The Vault holds some crazy demon monster thing, and you can't get in because time ran out while you were killing it. Angel was actually a Hyperion Satellite. Cl4P-TP intergalactic assassin. The end.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Well, that's a shame. Mass Effect 3 and F.E.A.R. 2 have already been mentioned, and they're easily my top two. I'm not sure what game I'd put as my number three, as nothing else really comes even remotely close to those two.

Far Cry 3's "bad" ending was pretty WTF.

I suppose there's also the volcano segment of Resident Evil 5. So... I'm supposed to believe that Wesker can survive the extreme heat from the lava (hell, Chris and Sheva too for that matter)... but he can't take an RPG or two? Also, I can't remember whether or not the door on the opposite side of the helicopter was open, but if it wasn't... yeah... it's a bad idea to fire an RPG in an enclosed space like that.

I remember also having a bit of a "WTF?!" response to the original pre-DLC ending for Fallout 3. Why the hell do I have to go into the radioactive death room just to press a button, when I can just have my Super Mutant buddy do it?

I'm sure there were others. But again, nothing even remotely close to ME3 and F.E.A.R. 2.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Skip to about 1:55.

"Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
"Sir, finishing this fight."

Or as those lines sound to my ears:

"Fuck you, you stupid asshole. You're not finishing shit until you give us more money, dumbass. Now sit right there and wait for the next game like a good dog."

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Pffft. Mass Effect 3 is the low-hanging fruit? How about the ending for the Conduit 2?

In which you inadvertently activate a giant invincible alien destroyer spaceship that starts careening towards earth... though this really doesn't matter, because what happens next defies all context.

Moments later, a portal opens up... then fucking ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND GEORGE WASHINGTON emerge, in power armor, wielding guns, to help in the upcoming fight.

Dec 14, 2008
Evonisia said:
Cortana rescues Chief from a nuclear device that he's literally cradling in his arms. She takes him to some strange place with no gravity before well, her big scene shows up... WHAT!? Are you shitting me? He was waiting to die, if you get to die then so should he, Cortana. You split yourself up into a dozen clones, how on earth (or whatever planet from Halo) did you do that, and more importantly: why? Cortana's death is not explained either to be honest, she just seems to fade away. I know most of her was gone but, really, wow, it's pretty bad.
An AI's ability to copy and split itself was established in the book First Strike, so like many things from the expanded universe in Halo 4 they failed to properly explain it. The logic of Cortana doing it was having multiple insane AIs messing with the computer system of the Didact's ship was better than just one. Her saving chief from the nuke can be handwaved away with any number of Forerunner technologies such as teleportation or hardlight shields (she was controlling a hardlight bridge right before the nuke went off).

Assassin's Creed 3 definitely has the worst bad WTF ending I can remember. The first two had good WTF ending that shocked me (mildly surprised me might better describe it) and got me excited for the next game, AC3 had the opposite effect. After the incredibly frustrating entirety of the game the "twist" was boring, revealed nothing but some plot from a hologram person that I didn't even know, and just left me feeling like I accomplished nothing. So this whole series was building up to the end of the world with Templar conspirators and ancient aliens, and all I had to do was kill myself by pushing a button to stop it all and save the human race? I wish they'd just let you fist fight the pope again.