Biggest WTF endings in games

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
philosophicalbastard said:
An AI's ability to copy and split itself was established in the book First Strike, so like many things from the expanded universe in Halo 4 they failed to properly explain it. The logic of Cortana doing it was having multiple insane AIs messing with the computer system of the Didact's ship was better than just one. Her saving chief from the nuke can be handwaved away with any number of Forerunner technologies such as teleportation or hardlight shields (she was controlling a hardlight bridge right before the nuke went off).
I'm aware of Cortana's ability to copy herself (something which I can assume she only did because of Rampancy considering the horrible state the Covenant AI was in). See your explanations would be fine if any of them were said to have happened. It's hard to just let the person assume Cortana could save Chief against Chief's will with the snap of a finger.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
I dunno if this counts but at the beginning of Dragon Age 2 I was going WTF happened to my ending to DA:O. I mean people sprang back to life!!

Fox12 said:
Well, I did play this one game. It was called Mass Effect 3.
Quoted for the truth, I still cannot bring myself to play it a second time even with the extended cut.

Dec 14, 2008
Evonisia said:
An AI's ability to copy and split itself was established in the book First Strike, so like many things from the expanded universe in Halo 4 they failed to properly explain it. The logic of Cortana doing it was having multiple insane AIs messing with the computer system of the Didact's ship was better than just one. Her saving chief from the nuke can be handwaved away with any number of Forerunner technologies such as teleportation or hardlight shields (she was controlling a hardlight bridge right before the nuke went off).
I'm aware of Cortana's ability to copy herself (something which I can assume she only did because of Rampancy considering the horrible state the Covenant AI was in). See your explanations would be fine if any of them were said to have happened. It's hard to just let the person assume Cortana could save Chief against Chief's will with the snap of a finger.
Yeah, it would be nice if they had any indication of what happened, but as it stands the Chief went from hugging a nuke to not being instantly vaporized by its blast so you have to jump to the conclusion that Cortana used some Forerunner technology/space magic to save him. I do hope they learned from these story-telling errors (along with many others) for Halo 5.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Sacman said:
There can only be one! Drakengard...<.<

This is not even my final form....

The best part, they made an even more depressing sequel out of that ultra wtf ending. With the justification of why there are swords all around as "because missiles that exploded the dragon and its rider scattered the rider's armory all around".

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, it would be nice if they had any indication of what happened, but as it stands the Chief went from hugging a nuke to not being instantly vaporized by its blast so you have to jump to the conclusion that Cortana used some Forerunner technology/space magic to save him. I do hope they learned from these story-telling errors (along with many others) for Halo 5.
Yeah, true. I'm not a big fan of 343 Industries (if you see anything I say about Halo here), but if Reach was too reliant on the expanded universe, then 343's storytelling can only survive on it. The sad thing is that you can actually follow the story (Chief is the only person who can stop the villain because he downloaded a special file from a ghost, Cortana does her stuff).

They really need to improve, letting Karren Travis (the same woman who wrote Gears of War 3's story) near the series, those terminals in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 4 were all massive blunders.

Also I liked how we spoke exclusively in small, grey boxes of spoilers.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Assassin's Creed 3 definitely has the worst bad WTF ending I can remember. The first two had good WTF ending that shocked me (mildly surprised me might better describe it) and got me excited for the next game, AC3 had the opposite effect. After the incredibly frustrating entirety of the game the "twist" was boring, revealed nothing but some plot from a hologram person that I didn't even know, and just left me feeling like I accomplished nothing. So this whole series was building up to the end of the world with Templar conspirators and ancient aliens, and all I had to do was kill myself by pushing a button to stop it all and save the human race? I wish they'd just let you fist fight the pope again.
AC3 couldn't hold my interest long enough for me to get to the ending.

That said
The opening of the game where you're playing as a Templar was quite a nice "WTF" moment.

I would say for me the ending of the first Mafia game was an incredibly hollow victory and the tie in with Mafia II was a nice added touch.
Its nice to occasionally see the sins of the protagonist finally catch up with them.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well...the obvious champion is Mass Effect 3. It psychologically scarred me.

F.E.A.R. 2 is the runner up...

...Ghost rape ft-wtf?

And KotOR 2 brings up the rear. Literally.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Sacman said:

That fucking game....I mean I love it and all but it genuinely disturbed me at times. The first time I saw this cutscene:

The part where she starts shrieking and rolling her eyes and shit....man, that sent so many shivers down my spine that it shook the bed I was sitting on.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
What the hell is wrong with the Mass Effect 3 endings? They make perfect sense.

Now, Mass Effect 2's endings, on the other hand? Not that they don't make sense, but that they were this daring. Especially if you were shitty to all your friends.
Please ignore the ugly Sheppard.
<youtube=pRHhdc53Od8>

Dec 14, 2008
Evonisia said:
Yeah, true. I'm not a big fan of 343 Industries (if you see anything I say about Halo here), but if Reach was too reliant on the expanded universe, then 343's storytelling can only survive on it. The sad thing is that you can actually follow the story (Chief is the only person who can stop the villain because he downloaded a special file from a ghost, Cortana does her stuff).

They really need to improve, letting Karren Travis (the same woman who wrote Gears of War 3's story) near the series, those terminals in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 4 were all massive blunders.

Also I liked how we spoke exclusively in small, grey boxes of spoilers.
I didn't feel like Reach relied on the expanded universe at all and was more of a self contained story, save for the fact that there were Spartan III's (which didn't even really follow the Ghost of Onyx description).
That whole maguffin that chief got is pretty silly in hindsight, but ,like I said, hopefully they can learn from this and build a better plot for Halo 5. I think relying on the expanded universe somewhat for the setup of some plot points is fine as long as there is proper exposition and story progression in the actual game.

Karren Travis wrote GoW 3? She must have phoned that one in because I've really been enjoying her book series (except for maybe some of the Halsey hate). I also enjoyed all the terminals, so maybe I just have a shitty taste in stories.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Scrapland had a standard ending, but it had a great WTF moment right before the end:

"Hi! My name is Bill. I sell software that makes it so your computer doesn't work anymore!"

^^Plot relevant.

Man, talk about biting the hand that feeds.

Sacman said:

This is the most marvelous thing ever. Just... ever.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I haven't played it, but apparently Phantasmagoria had a pretty fucked up ending.
It had a pretty standard horror-movie ending, really. Now, if you did anything in the last chapter WRONG, then you had some pretty WTFy things happen to you.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Can I just say "The entire second half of Indigo Prophecy" and call it a day? Seriously, that game takes a DRASTIC left turn on us...and unfortunately not for the better.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
saintdane05 said:
What the hell is wrong with the Mass Effect 3 endings? They make perfect sense.

Now, Mass Effect 2's endings, on the other hand? Not that they don't make sense, but that they were this daring. Especially if you were shitty to all your friends.
Please ignore the ugly Sheppard.
<youtube=pRHhdc53Od8>
The thing is, you had to deliberately make some brain-dead decisions to actually have everyone die - she actually tells you RIGHT BEFORE YOU PICK that selecting Jacob is a bad idea, so you'd pretty much have to actually want everyone to die to get that outcome.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
BlazBlue Calamity trigger

Never have I had so many unanswered questions, and the sequel only creates more questions as well. Its a fantastic but confusing series.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
I haven't played it, but apparently Phantasmagoria had a pretty fucked up ending.
It had a pretty standard horror-movie ending, really. Now, if you did anything in the last chapter WRONG, then you had some pretty WTFy things happen to you.
Really? Isn't that the one with the murder mystery type thing that ends
with you finding out who the killer is only to have him kill you and set you up as the killer?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
So there's this game called Extermination. I actually liked it, kind of made me think of Metal Gear and Resident Evil. Since I liked it so much I made sure to hunt down all the little collectible whatnots, which as it turns out nets probably the strangest choice for an ending credit song EVER! Honestly this had me laughing harder than the "Dog Ending" in Silent Hill 2.

chimpzy said:
Skip to about 1:55.

"Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
"Sir, finishing this fight."

Or as those lines sound to my ears:

"Fuck you, you stupid asshole. You're not finishing shit until you give us more money, dumbass. Now sit right there and wait for the next game like a good dog."
This one is infamous, right along with Soul Reaver, which they later admitted was because the game was literally not finished and just released as it was.