Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Bill Gates, you just received 7.6 million kharma points.
and yet he looses 100 billion for creating Windows
All kidding as side, good on him, this is a great thing he's doing

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Every picture of him as a devil needs to be pulled off the internet. You may not like how he ran his software company via ruthless business practices (but honestly, the Japanese are right, business is just another form of war, don't ***** when you get outsmarted), but you have to respect a man who is doing more for poor people then most governments.

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
swaki said:
maybe Jobs can save 750.000 kids with his new iPad money.
There's an app. for that.

Couldn't resist.

Good for him, finally a rich person is ACTUALLY giving a good amount to charity instead of just say 100,000.

masakoz

Mar 12, 2009
first, he gives us the xbox 360 then he donate so much to charity...FUCK MAN HE'S LIKE THE POPE COMBINE WITH GANDI(i dont how to spell his name)

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
Good job Bill Gates. I've heard of him giving obscene amounts of money to charity before so this is just more to add to the billions he's already given. I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft (though I've never had a problem with it myself) but I think Bill Gates seems like a genuinely good guy and more power to him!

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
Duol said:
Great...
Not like they need food or anything? Or clothes? Or shelter? Or getting rid of horrible dictators?
Sorry but why vaccinate people so they can continue to live longer in poverty? Just exacerbates the problem.
Provide the basics for the people that are already there. Then worry about vaccines...
That's just my pessimistic opinion though. At least he's doing something of magnitude, unlike most people with simillar quantities of wealth.
Wouldn't it be better to try to cure as many diseases as possible to stop them from spreading and then try to help living conditions. If you do it the other way around you then have more people with more diseases to cure but this way you get rid of a greater percentage of diseases and after that you can work on everything else.

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
Wardog13 said:
Can Americans be knighted?
Unfortunately No.

OT: it annoys me that the western countries dont give even 5% of their yearly budget to help 3rd world countries swimming in debt and therefore unable to help themselves. i hope bill inspires others to do the same

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
This guy is like a role-model and a hero...
Never mind whatever bad things can be said about him, even if this were for public image, it still does some good.
Bill Gates, I salute thee!
Pretty much this. It may (or may not) primarily be for publicity, but either way, this is a pretty big deal and deserves some positive karma either way.

Way to show how it's done, Bill Gates.
*salute*

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
That certainly is alot of money for a good cause. But I wonder if it wouldn't be better spent in a broader picture.
While I don't see many issues providing vaccines for kids in -stable- developing countries, I think that kids in unstable poor countries, especially in africa, face alot of difficuilt issues other than illness and infections. Such as war, famine, unemployment, AIDS no education, etc. And I'm not sure if there's a point to saving millions of kids only to have them all die due to starvation or AIDS, or to have them participate as soldiers in militias, pillaging and raping while fighting for warlords.

Maybe the money would be better spent in improving a wider spectrum of issues in such countries, instead of focusing only on health.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
As much shit I've talked about Microsoft, I still like Bill Gates as a human being (unlike Steve Jobs, who's a complete douchebag). I also find the notion that a man can buy Yahoo! and still be able to donate $10 billion to charity entertaining. I bet this guy is exempt from taxes forever.

But still, I wonder who's really responsible for MS's business practices.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
chris11246 said:
Duol said:
Great...
Not like they need food or anything? Or clothes? Or shelter? Or getting rid of horrible dictators?
Sorry but why vaccinate people so they can continue to live longer in poverty? Just exacerbates the problem.
Provide the basics for the people that are already there. Then worry about vaccines...
That's just my pessimistic opinion though. At least he's doing something of magnitude, unlike most people with simillar quantities of wealth.
Wouldn't it be better to try to cure as many diseases as possible to stop them from spreading and then try to help living conditions. If you do it the other way around you then have more people with more diseases to cure but this way you get rid of a greater percentage of diseases and after that you can work on everything else.
This.

Sorry Duol, but your argument makes very little sense. Vaccinations are usually done as early as possible to prevent disease. Newborns don't tend to be dying of starvation quite yet, and they stand a better chance of survival if hungry but without disease than they do if hungry with a disease or even if well fed with a disease. Most of these diseases don't come from the fact they are starving.

Besides, this will still save lives and is much more efficient than the alternative. A single dose of a vaccination is considerably cheaper than providing clean water + a house + waste disposal + food for that one same person and will still help massively. Sure, we could provide all those things if every billionaire on the planet got together and donated the same money as Gates all at once, but funnily enough, he's pretty much encouraging them to do just that. He may be a billionaire but he's still just one person doing as much as he can.

As for horrible dictators, do you think Bill Gates has his own private army? If you want to complain about that then complain to the government. Heck, the US and UK go to war to get rid of one dictator in Iraq but won't do the same in Africa or North Korea? Yeah, way to ***** in the complete wrong direction.

Sorry dude, but it just looks like you're looking for a reason to criticise.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
squid5580 said:
Umm I don't think the viruses and diseases they are fighting against really have the money to pay. I could be wrong but I just can't see microscopic organisms having wallets big enough to pay. And if you are expecting the people who are effected by this to pay don't you think they would if they you know weren't to busy being poor and hungry.

You know what pisses me off. Not that Bll did this because that is amazing. The fact that he had too do it pisses me off. Why can't we who have lots make the vaccines and give them to those who have nothing. Why does someone need to invest 10 billlion dollars to get this shit going? Why does the money factor the important factor and the human life factor is forgotten?
Sorry just had to change that, it's a very significant amount of money.Even though fact is that we have only a few stars in a very black universe of greed that will do this is still nice.
theultimateend said:
He still gets shit on constantly. Yet I have nothing to complain at him personally about.

He basically popularized computers which I love.
He made windows which has always worked for me (always <---).
Finally he's spending a fuck ton of money to help people globally. Something that almost nobody rich does without demanding money from everyone.
Plus he is loveable as all heck. (As far as personalities go)

I'd give the dude a hug if I wasn't worried my poorness might kill him instantly.
So much truth in one post. From all of those points he is pretty much the oposite of Steve Jobs. Which makes me like Bill a hell of alot more.
dochmbi said:
Steve Jobs should challenge him and also donate 1/5 of his net worth :)
That would be a good thing if he put it in a place that actually could use the money. A "who can be the nicer person" fight between the giants would produce only good for everybody else right?
Souplex said:
oppp7 said:
Bill Gates is saving Microsoft's reputation by himself. It's strange that a company so well known for its cheapness has such a generous CEO.
He retired like a year ago to work on saving the world.
Why does that phrase make me giggle.
Mr Gates: Everybody I'm sorry but I shall no longer be your CEO. Now if youll excuse me *rips shirt to see a S" I've got a world to save. *Flies away*
Wardog13 said:
Can Americans be knighted?
If they can he should.
Scrythe said:
As much shit I've talked about Microsoft, I still like Bill Gates as a human being (unlike Steve Jobs, who's a complete douchebag). I also find the notion that a man can buy Yahoo! and still be able to donate $10 billion to charity entertaining. I bet this guy is exempt from taxes forever.

But still, I wonder who's really responsible for MS's business practices.
Bill Gates, a true warrior of business destroyed all in his path. Think of this as his repentance to the world :p

OT: Many many respect point to Bill Gates. I just took my hat off with my bad hat hair and gave a salute to this man. This may not save these kids for the rest of their lives but thats one reason thtey will die struck from the list.

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
That certainly is alot of money for a good cause. But I wonder if it wouldn't be better spent in a broader picture.
While I don't see many issues providing vaccines for kids in -stable- developing countries, I think that kids in unstable poor countries, especially in africa, face alot of difficuilt issues other than illness and infections. Such as war, famine, unemployment, AIDS no education, etc. And I'm not sure if there's a point to saving millions of kids only to have them all die due to starvation or AIDS, or to have them participate as soldiers in militias, pillaging and raping while fighting for warlords.

Maybe the money would be better spent in improving a wider spectrum of issues in such countries, instead of focusing only on health.
yeah but the militias are largely formed by people without hope who have seen their families die by what they know are preventable diseases. Also more healthy people will lead to a greater workforce for the countries leading to less poverty so something like that

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
This man deserves every bit of respect he gets. You don't see many wealthy people/celebrities/etc who are willing to put forth their own money to help their cause. Let alone $10 billion.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Good for Bill, I'm so glad he's actually doing something to help people.. honestly people 100,000 ain't nothing compared to 1/5 of his freaking Net worth.
But still Steve Jobs is better when it comes to good business models, and products that are made better. Kudos Bill on his donations though!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
little.09 said:
yeah but the militias are largely formed by people without hope who have seen their families die by what they know are preventable diseases. Also more healthy people will lead to a greater workforce for the countries leading to less poverty so something like that
Not necessarily. I think most people that join militias do so due to lack of other perspectives. With no education, no job and no future, fighting for a warlord and being fed beats not fighting and starving.