Billy Bob Blames Games for the Sorry State of Hollywood

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I'd say rap and pop music has a much greater negative impact on the current generation than video games. I mean... have you watched MTV recently? Jesus Christ some of this music and reality TV is just... unbelievably stupid.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Imp Poster said:
The Rascal King said:
Listen to him, he had sex with Angelina Jolie. Listen to him.

Angelina Jolie, dammit.
And he did Hallie Berry(on screen), doggie style even. His ego is definitely, blinding.
Wisdom. I end this post the only way I see fit:

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Ironically enough I've yet to hear of a movie that he was in be a huge success. Wasn't this guy also convicted of assault? All these games are about is killing for fun? Maybe if the only video games in existence were the fighting and FPS genres. Idiot.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Mainstream media always caters to the largest market which are teenage boys and it's no secret they love to see shit blown to bits so it's not the "videogame generation" but more the teens in general and their horrible tastes who are responsible for the sorry state of movies in the last 5 years.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
My respect for Billy Bob just dropped a bit. That's not all games are about and if you think movies are bad because they are geared towards game players, then you need to look at people who make the movies and realize they don't get the game medium.

I mean take a look at the news for the Uncharted movie we got today. They want Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci to play Nathan Drake's father and uncle... Okay have the twats making this movie ever played Uncharted? I would guess that they have not.

AvsJoe said:
So says the guy who directed All the Pretty Horses.

Go back to any time in history and watch a few Hollywood films. They've always been a "crap factory". This is because we only remember the good films from the past, whereas people only seem to be focusing on the crap films made today. Hollywood is just as good at making a great film today as it was 71 years ago; see, for example, There Will Be Blood or Up.
Also this. It's like that for all kinds of media too. The only bad video games from years ago people still talk about is Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal (but for some reason, people think these are good and don't realize they are talking about bad games). Other than that, people only talk about the good ones. "Hey man remember Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis?" "Remember Super Mario Bros?" Nobody ever says "Hey guys, how many of you played Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers The Movie for GameBoy?" because that game sucked.

The only things we remember about older media is the really great and the extremely bad, and mostly just the great stuff.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Diligent said:
Just watch this interview with Billy Bob if you haven't already, and tell me you can take anything that comes out of his mouth remotely seriously.
My Gawd, 3:15 is all I can manage, watching this guy talk is like watching a freshly blown sneeze trickle down a wall... a really stupid booger who cant comprehend full sentances.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
There's only one way I can respond to this...

[/QUOTE]

Is that artwork from Timesplitters, it looks like Captain Ash?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
It's easy for people to make blanketing statements like this when it comes to things they know absolutely nothing about. Ignorance is bliss aint it?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'd say that he's being very idiotic at the moment. I can't completely condemn him for the sole reason of he voiced a character in Princess Mononoke (which is about the only awesome thing he ever did), but he still is sounding somewhat dumb right now.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I blame Hollywood for the terrible videogames of this current generation.
Please think of the children.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I go off about the mainstream all the time, and there isn't much new that can be said about it. Truthfully, a big part of the problem with video games is that they have gone mainstream and are designed to appeal to the same intellects that watch "Jersey Shore" and have propelled people like "Snooki" and "The Situation" to stardom.

Even with that criticism, I can say that I think Billy Bob's problem is also that he doesn't play games, but rather simply chooses to gripe at his son about what he perceives them to be about. At their worst, the games cover the same material as movies and TV shows do, with the same types of plot. Truthfully I can't think of many games where you played as a "guy who kills people and destroys things for fun" there is almost invariably a storyline and reasons behind it. Like TV and movies that storyline can vary greatly in quality, but it's there. The so called "crime and murder simulators" generally cover the same material as crime and heist movies (and oh hey Billy Bob, haven't you made some of those?).

At their best, games can be a lot more than that as well. Game series that tend to disturb people the most like say "Silent Hill" are also among those that generally have the best writing.

Truthfully, the only games I can think of off the top of my head where the plot is "you like to destroy things for fun" is some of those giant-monster movie simulators. There have been several over the years, where you play a giant monster (maybe even an iconic one like Godzilla) and set about the business of laying waste to a city, to see how fare you can get before the pitiful humans manage to stop you, or you wind up on the losing end of a fight with another giant monster.

The problem with celebrities and video games is that the media that interviews them is slanted, so it doesn't bother to find out how much the person they are getting comments from knows on the subject. Given Billy Bob's one comment about his experience... griping at his son, it's obvious he's ignorant, so why should his opinion see print? I mean even if your going to do an anti-video game piece, find people who slam them from a position of knowlege.

Besides when it comes to insane killing, didn't Billy Bob launch his career by doing "Sling Blade" which lead to Imus using a hybrid of him and the character as one of his mocking "commentators" on various events?

Also don't knock "Freddy Vs. Jason" that was great intellectual slumming material. Like many of my generation, I always wanted to see that crossover. It also had a plotline... I mean not a great one (even given the premise), but it did have two of the most iconic supernatural movie killers doing their thing in a movie. :p

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
First of all, I've been to the movies three times this year (Toy Story, Inception, Scott Pilgrim), and have been blown away all 3 times. Not to mention The Social Network and HP, which is supposed to be good.

Second, he just contradicted himself! He says movies coming out today are crap because they do all these things, then he said how this movie DOESN'T do those things.....and the movie he's talking about is crap!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Yeah, not really. Abysmal movies and videogames are coming out right now because both industries are bloated and playing it too safe, so showing a bunch of stuff blowing up is the safest way to reach the dumb unwashed masses. It's unfair to say movies picked it up from videogames, I'm pretty sure the two came up with that independently.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
PunkRex said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
There's only one way I can respond to this...

[/QUOTE]

Is that artwork from Timesplitters, it looks like Captain Ash?[/quote]Nope. TF2. The Apple Update comic, I think. Or is it the Mann-Conomy comic?

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Therumancer said:
Truthfully I can't think of many games where you played as a "guy who kills people and destroys things for fun" there is almost invariably a storyline and reasons behind it.
Every game is a minor variation of GTA or online FPS Multiplayer apparently.

Considering Hollywood is considering making the Candyland board game into a movie to blame Hollywood being creatively bankrupt on video games is moronic at best.