Biomutant was not worth the wait.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Oh boy, I can already see Yahtzee will have a lot to say about this game.

Seems we're getting a lot of these great-concept-bad-execution types of games. Like, they are slowly becoming the industry standards

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's difficult to give them style points when the primary complaint with the game is that the gameplay is derivative and boring. It's like being thankful Activision added the ability to play as a mutant squirrel in COD.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It looks charming. Too bad it’s in rough shape. Maybe they can coalesce it into something more enjoyable down the road.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
To Biomutant's credit, the game isn't fundamentally fucked. It's not like the elements here don't work, they do, it's just that the glue that pieces everything together is missing.

So I think with some time and patching certain issues out, they could make this game a much more enjoyable experience. This isn't Cyberpunk where everything is buggy and broken.

Biomutant is missing sound effects, it's missing filler enemies, and it's combat needs polish. But what is there does work, so I think it is entirely fixable.
If in a year or so they've cleaned and tightened it up into a better product, I'll be quite tempted to take a look, but not the state it's in now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
they wanted the combat to have a Devil May Cry kind of feel, but in an open world game, which I would have really dug.
Lost Soul Aside and FFXVI will have me covered whenever they launch. The latter even has the combat designer from DMC5, so FFXVI combat should be exquisite.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Played a bit of it, I can forgive the eurojank and the lack of polish of every features. But the one I think I'm really disapointed by is that they just don't use the mutation idea. They made big promise with it about mutating to reflect your character development, but all it comes down to is that as you change your stats your character body proportion slightly changes to reflect that... I was expecting something like "if you get this mutation you'll get a second lizard head which will breath fire on command" or "these sharp quill will let you throw projectile at enemy and redirect some melee damage" but no, just "increasing your int by 10 make your head slightly larger". You can get some mutation but all they do is give you some special attack which aren't that interesting and anyway you're limited to 4 attack in total (which are also shared by your psi attack).

And yeah the game has wayyyyy too many features, all of which are shallow and underutilized (melee, range, kunfu, psi, mutation, perk, looting, crating, morality, conversation choice, robot sidekick, environmental hazard and probably forgetting more). You could literally cut half of them out and it would be just fine. Similarly the game has like 4 different main plot thread that don't really interact with each others.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Played a bit more and it's really a shame. The world really is beautiful and exploring is pretty fun, especially since you get a bunch of different movement based ability (super jump, levitation) but because those are optional no content is designed around them. Instead you have some progression gated behind unlocking special tool, which are obtained by going trough completely unrelated side quest and take you all over the world map. So to open a door in this dungeon I need to complete the quest of some guy who's in completely different region and ask me to to climb up mountain for no reason...

Combat is all out of balance, it's super easy to craft an insanely powerful gun and have infinite ammo in it so you can just mow down everything. The hardest thing to deal with is the annoying gun-fu where you'll jump and your character will pointlessly spin around or do John Wu jump for no reason. Again it's a shame because crafting is pretty cool, the amount of loot is resonable and there's some interesting power.

Story/quest is crap, I have no idea what they were thinking there. Conversation are also super weird where it's like your character and the NPC are having two different conversation. I started just skipping it all. The game would flat out have been better without any NPC.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Played a bit more and it's really a shame. The world really is beautiful and exploring is pretty fun, especially since you get a bunch of different movement based ability (super jump, levitation) but because those are optional no content is designed around them.
Oh man, that really sucks. I hate that kind of thing. It's one reason I really loved Dishonored, since you could have completely different gaming experiences if you went for travel powers versus combat powers. Double Jump + Double Distance Blink = Crazy fun bypassing so many threats.