BioShock Infinite Takes to the Skies

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Hmm I thought 2K Games made the first two games so i'm not sure about this.
2K Games are the publisher, although they own all the developers involved. The first was by Irrational (who are doing Infinite) and the second was largely by 2K Marin, with Digital Extremes doing the multiplayer. Basically, 2K's studios seem to be a bit of a mess.

But I have high hopes for this already. I loved BioShock, I really enjoyed BS2, and I've little doubt this'll be terrible.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Worgen said:
nice trailer but now its officially being milked to death
A third game hardly counts as milking to death. Now if they make an RTS, MMO, film, book series etc etc then that would be considered milking.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I honestly have no idea how to feel about this game... looks, interesting. I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

I know Bioshock 2 just wasn't as good as the first and returning to Rapture again would probably just get old real fast, but I think some developers need to know when to stop. I mean really? Bioshock but in the air? Why even connect these games with the same name? I shall reserve judgement until such times when we recieve some actual gameplay footage.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Just watched the trailer. Seems pretty cool looking

But I liked Steampunk before it was cool with Arcanum in 2000!!!!

Maybe I should be an old curmudgeon and be like what is with these two popular franchises, Avatar and Bioshock, having this steam punk shit. Whippersnappers today so new to this whole steampunk thing.

But seriously, the trailer is pretty.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
I think this isn't really a prequel; more of a reimagining. Just like how Bioshock wasn't a prequel to System Shock.

That said, this could either be awesome or incredibly stupid. The fact that it was born from the rejected ideas for the original Bioshock doesn't speak well for it so far.
Where does it say that Infinite is from the rejected idea's of BioShock?

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
I'm surprised that they already have a trailer for the game, while having the game itself released in 2012... Way to go being... Masters of Perfection, huh?

My theory,if this would be directly relate to the events leading to Rapture's Chaos, would be that Andrew Ryan lived in this floating city, where he(or they) started planning on an underwater city because he(they) hated society so much that he wanted to be separated from it.

EDIT:
TheRightToArmBears said:
If this is Bioshock Infinite, what would a sequel for it be called?

Infinity and one?
Uhhh... Infinity and beyond??? *explodes*

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
GoGo_Boy said:
Anyways too much Bioshock in too little development time. -> Can't be that good.
Bearing in mind that this isn't being released until 2012...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do about plasmids. I know that they were invented in Rapture years after this game takes place, but the trailer shows some sort of special ability in the form of being kept afloat by roses. Could be interesting.

Interference

Feb 14, 2010
I'm amused by some of the ideas floating around:

1. Rapture is Columbia sunk into the sea! -- Lord no. It's explicitly stated how Rapture is founded in Bioshock 2. Don't be daft.

2. Oh no! The franchise has changed hands again! -- Also no. Were a single neuron firing in your creaky brain you'd realise that it's being made by Irrational, who are the original development team of Bioshock 1. Argue as you might that you may not know that 2K Boston were Irrational under an enforced name change before they got their original name back, but you can't go making comments about franchise handling without doing your damn homework.

3. THREE GAMES NOW! Bioshock is totally being milked to death. -- Quite how you've reached this conclusion when we're looking at a game that's doing something genuinely different with the Bioshock formula and a world in which there are over 13 Final Fantasy titles and nobody's complained is completely baffling.

I'm looking forward to this immensely. A new, strange location to explore and the idea of breeding horror and dread in broad daylight seems right up my street.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im certainly willing to give it a chance, sounds like how they wanted the first one to be...I look forward to more information!

Interference

Feb 14, 2010
And all these folk thinking Irrational hasn't been working on this for ages? That this is a speedily developed cash-in? They DO know they were working on this while someone ELSE made Bioshock 2, right? And that they'll be working on it for another TWO YEARS?

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Cool cool cool man! Bioshock 2 was a piece of junk mostly because of the lack of wonder since we already knew what rapture looked like and was about. This seems like it will put the wonder back into the game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ahhh, now I understand it a bit better after the last response I read. I see there was more information revealed than just the trailer.

Seems interesting, though I'm sorry this is still not Steampunk. You need "punk" for it to be Steampunk, Cyberpunk, or anything else you decide to use the term "punk" with.

I will however be keeping an eye on it, though I do hope they start labeling it "retro sci-fi" or "retro future" rather than tossing around the word "Punk" along with anything that they want to promote.

What's more if it's 1912 level technology I believe Steam is kind of on it's way out and we're seeing more regular "internal combustion" engines starting to come out. If this is supposed to be "cutting edge" it's probably not going to involve the use of much steam since that was on it's way to becoming obselete. That far back it's too early to really try and present a world where steam was capable of doing more than it could IRL, or for whatever the basis for technology never advanced since it's only 20 years and the amusement factor of someone in say the year 2200 using a steam powered car that involves some modern engineering techniques with the archaic power system isn't really present. :)

I just hope someone doesn't decide to come up with "combustionpunk" or "dieselpunk" as a way of trying to create a label for it since nobody using terms like this seems to have any interest in, or respect for punk or even the broader gamut of 80s culture. :/

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Steamshock, Aeroshock. That's 2 awesome names right there that it took a forum 10 minutes to create. I hope they go for a name change!

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Funkiest Monkey said:
Holy shit, do want.

Although I'm a little saddened the "shock" reveal wasn't a System Shock game.
WanderFreak said:

*puts trailer in pants*

WANT! WANT NOW!
Hate to ruin your good time, but notice something missing from this trailer?

Warstratigier said:
erm wow.....I wonder if this freedom also involves plunging 50,000 feet to your death.....
Yeah... no gameplay. Not even proof-of-concept of gameplay. The thing that made Bioshock 1's original first-person trailer so compelling was that it showed what players could expect out of the experience of playing the game, and even if the mock-up was a bit more dynamic than the final product turned out it was still pretty spot-on, showing they had a really solid idea of what they were trying to deliver.

This is a guy stumbling helplessly through the air. Yes, it's all very impressive and gives a vague notion of what the story's about, it's very shiny and all that, but it gives me this sense that they're trying to distract us with spectacle to cover up for all the stuff they don't know or understand about the game themselves yet. I'm not saying that it'll necessarily be a bad game, but I wouldn't jizz myself over this until I see that the actual game looks promising too.

Still, I like that they seem to be expanding from underwater shenanigans to an overall Jules Vernian theme.
Yeah, so what? "Bioshock in the air". I would like to play that (in 2 years).

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Just like the sequel to Bioshock, I'll try to think of this game as something new, something without ANY resemblance to Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 for me, is a story-driven gem of perfection that never needed a sequel. (I'm quite sure some would agree on that as well.)

Although I'll still probably buy it, it looks awesome. Bioshock 2 was REALLY good as well, but a disappointment compared to Bioshock 1. Basically putting you in the boots of a big daddy was, in my opinion, a bad move. It made the story and the ending obvious even before I started playing through the game.

OT: Trailer looks amazing, yes. Though as some mentioned earlier, it doesn't really show you the slightest bit of gameplay. I'll try to keep myself in my pants untill we actually get something more out of Irrational.

On a personal note, they should really go with a new brand name, a different concept. Seems to me alot of talent is slightly going to waste. But oh well, I'll have to play the game through when it is released and see for myself. (I know I'm going to..)

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Interference said:
I'm amused by some of the ideas floating around:

1. Rapture is Columbia sunk into the sea! -- Lord no. It's explicitly stated how Rapture is founded in Bioshock 2. Don't be daft.

3. THREE GAMES NOW! Bioshock is totally being milked to death. -- Quite how you've reached this conclusion when we're looking at a game that's doing something genuinely different with the Bioshock formula and a world in which there are over 13 Final Fantasy titles and nobody's complained is completely baffling.

I'm looking forward to this immensely. A new, strange location to explore and the idea of breeding horror and dread in broad daylight seems right up my street.
Well, Andrew Ryan could of easily covered it all up and just said he created it from the ground up. The city was built over a large crevace i think i remember, which a crash from a city could occur. Andrew could easily of just fixed the city.

Also, all the main series of FF games are set in different worlds so thats why people haven't complained.