BioWare Adding Female Shepard to Mass Effect 3 Marketing

Sabazios

Mar 21, 2010
This is why I didn't watch any of the marketing. Also made me feel the need to play VanderShep. It doesn't help that that's the only face that has enough detail on it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh! oh oh oh oh! PLEASE tell me that the Shepard in the picture is the one they're using. Because that's my Shep. Red hair in that exact style. Only thing is for her eyes to be green (can't tell) and don't change any of the facial feature, and it's perfect. This is why I'm a little worried about official female Shep. It's odd to hear and see her in any other body but the one I always use. Which is in the picture above. So yeah. Let's go with that please. :)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Im more excited that Femshep is appearing on the cover of the special edition, anyone got a source for that?
There's a tweet you can find through the source link, but personally I prefer this:

BioWare released it during E3.

"Exclusive Collectible Tin featuring male and female Shepard."

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
I don't like this, because it seems like a pointless thing. The gender of Shepard should not matter. By making trailers for both genders there putting a lot more importance on gender than I think they should be. I know it's just for publicity, since apparently some people can't tolerate anything with male Shepard for some reason, but I still don't like it.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Bets on her cup size being at least an E, and generally fulfilling the 36-24-36 image?
Come on, we know Bioware treats all their female characters with enough respect to not sexualize them. I mean just look at Miranda!

In all seriousness that's one of the things that always struck me as odd about Mass Effect 2. Bioware doesn't seem to sexualize women but Miranda is handled horribly in that regard.
Yeah, other than Morrigan, Isabella, Merrill, Silk Fox, arguably Tali, and the entire Asari species, Bioware never designs a character or a character's appearance around sexualization :)

(Although, to be fair they do this with male characters, too.)

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Finally.

Also, neither gender is Canon. Mass Effect's narrative allows for either or at the player's choice to equal measure (although FemShep will always be my personal Canon-gender, in the end).

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
Zhukov said:
Cool. It's nice to see a bit of two-way recognition.

Now, I'm gonna bail before this thread gets nasty.

But before I do, I'll just leave this here:

(Huge spoilers within.)
Wow, I've played both, but hearing them back to back is quite interesting: they are both bad! Mark Meer is so deadpan and Jennifer Hale is wildly overdramatic. I love this series, but yeah the voice acting could have been better.

OT: I am pretty sure that both Shepards are canonical

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Internet Kraken said:
I don't like this, because it seems like a pointless thing. The gender of Shepard should not matter. By making trailers for both genders there putting a lot more importance on gender than I think they should be. I know it's just for publicity, since apparently some people can't tolerate anything with male Shepard for some reason, but I still don't like it.

Bets on her cup size being at least an E, and generally fulfilling the 36-24-36 image?
Come on, we know Bioware treats all their female characters with enough respect to not sexualize them. I mean just look at Miranda!

In all seriousness that's one of the things that always struck me as odd about Mass Effect 2. Bioware doesn't seem to sexualize women but Miranda is handled horribly in that regard.
Yeah, other than Morrigan, Isabella, Merrill, Silk Fox, arguably Tali, and the entire Asari species, Bioware never designs a character or a character's appearance around sexualization :)

Zevran.
God god, is he ever sexual.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Why not use jenifer Hale's face? They did so with Bastila, why couldn't they do it again?

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
I like both shepards equaly. Although female Shepards romances are way more believable, but to me the voice actors are tied.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
Cool. It's nice to see a bit of two-way recognition.

Now, I'm gonna bail before this thread gets nasty.

But before I do, I'll just leave this here:

(Huge spoilers within.)
Hm... I would say about even, there was times that meer sounded better, and vice versa.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Internet Kraken said:

Okay yeah I forgot about some examples. Honestly though for being an all female race the Asari aren't sexualized that much. I'm sure the initial idea for them was born from a desire to pander to sweaty nerds but Bioware has made an effort to make them more than table dancers. They have a developed culture and respectable positions in the Mass Effect universe.

Another weird example of Bioware sexualization is Samara. She's this old respectable Asari warrior that for some bizarre reason has a horribly degrading outfit, complete with exposed boobs and high heels. Seeing her wear that only gets more ridiculous when you walk around in hazardous environments with her chest exposed. But there's nothing else about her that's sexualized. You can't even have sex with her. Why they made her into a sex symbol baffles me.

let said:
I like both shepards equaly. Although female Shepards romances are way more believable, but to me the voice actors are tied.
Well since all Bioware romances are awful, having the best ones isn't much of an accomplishment.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Dr. wonderful said:
Kahunaburger said:
Internet Kraken said:

Zevran.
God god, is he ever sexual.
Haha Zevran. Say what you want about this type of sexualization being weak characterization, at least Bioware doesn't have a double standard.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
FemShep gets my approval, after two games my FemShep means an awful lot too me.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Internet Kraken said:

No, I agree with Kraken. I mean, just because they show that there are asari strippers, you don't really see any incredibly revealing bikini battle suits. And Tali just has a snug suit, It doesn't really show anything off. I mean, sure there is some, but compared to other games its not as bad.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I'm looking forward to the time they'll add the cardboard box version of Sheppard. You know, the one with a chance to exude more emotion than the current ones.
You would think dieing would leave a hint of emotional damage on a person, then again, Sheppard isn't a person.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Only one fifth of Mass Effect players prefer Jennifer Hale's voice acting? I find that hard to believe.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
syrus27 said:
much better voice actor
Lol, no. Seriously, play them both back-to-back :)
As someone who has done exactly this, I still prefer Male Shepard's voice acting. Jennifer Hale does a decent job, but my problem with her voice acting for femshep is and always has been A) That she sounds like she's trying too hard to sound tough, and B) she has a tendency to misplace some of the emotional inflections in her voice, resulting in scenes that are overdramatic. On the other hand, Mark Meer can be too flat here and there so it kind of balances out.

Neither Male Shepard or Female Shepard have perfect voice actors; hell, I'd be willing to argue that literally every other character in the game has better voice acting, save for some of the one-liner NPC's.