Bioware allows the release of "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3" a tell all app for $2.99 WTF?!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Phlakes said:
No one takes a job in game design for just the money. At least 99% of them don't. People are just too quick to dehumanize any kind of organization, makes it easier to call them greedy fucks when you don't consider that all the people at Bioware and EA have friends, families, things that piss them off, and emotions just like everyone on this forum, and that, surprisingly enough, they actually don't go out of their way to fuck with their consumers.
And 99% of statistics are made up on the spot? Don't use the "people" argument either. Boag might have been too quick to dehumanize an organization, so deal with boag. Lots of people are unhappy with Bioware in a more reserved fashion.
*Sigh. He's not the only one, that's why I said "people", it's been happening a lot the last couple of weeks.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Phlakes said:
*Sigh. He's not the only one, that's why I said "people", it's been happening a lot the last couple of weeks.
Yeah but we address these things on an individual basis, yeah? Individuals have opinions that can be addressed. "People" just becomes a formless, faceless enemy that we can attack.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
4. Dude, the growl when you snap out of indoctrination is something they established in their own lore. If you watch the clip of the kid in the vent, there's an EXTREMELY conspicuous growl precisely at the moment Anderson calls Shepard's name and snaps his attention away. It's hardly a background noise.
FWIW I'm about as big a Mass Effect nerd as Mass Effect nerds come, and I don't remember anything about this. Where exactly in the lore does it come from?

Also, even if it were there are tons of viable explanations for that growl being there ranging from someone at Bioware just thought it'd sound cool (absolutely plausible, since they keep doing other non-sensical stuff like putting Avenger assault rifles in the hands of characters that have never used them in cut scenes) to there's husks and cannibals literally everywhere at that point in time and they needed a noise that would make the kid run away.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that if Bioware wants to pull an indoctrination/dream/whatever ending out of its arse then they'll find a way to do it and it's as viable a theory as anything right now. But I think you'll drive yourself insane trying to read something into every little graphical detail in a series which, let's be honest, hasn't always bothered to sweat the little graphical details.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zeel said:
I actually haven't seen the developers notes about indoctrination. I just assumed you guys weren't speaking out your asses, but I'm kind of curious now. Is there a link I can go to?
Pics were removed from the thread I saw them in, apparently for copyright purposes, but I can assure you they were there and commented on repeatedly in this thread: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272

And even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gaemplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices).
I actually think touches like the danger/caution signs, the growl, etc, are pretty skillful flourishes in terms of setting up an indoctrination twist. Sad they didn't follow up on it. Would've been many times over more compelling than what we got, the legend of Marauder Shields notwithstanding.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AD-Stu said:
FWIW I'm about as big a Mass Effect nerd as Mass Effect nerds come, and I don't remember anything about this. Where exactly in the lore does it come from?
Third book, apparently. Not the retarded/redacted one.

1:49 in for the bit on the growl.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zeel said:
All aboard the craaaaazy train.
choo chooo.

I watched your video and read a few pages of the thread you linked me. My only conclusion is that you guys are kooky for co-co puffs.

Plus that thread implies the indoctrination doesn't happen until after he's hit with the laser. so "groundwork" throughout the game would just be you guys making up shit.
Who is "you guys"? You and Phlakes, man, you're like two sides of a coin. Address your comments to individuals, not illusory groups.

Indoctrination, in ME lore, is a gradual process that "ramps up" over time. In the "Indoctrination Theory", the physical proximity of Harbinger/Shepard's incapacitation kicks him/her over the edge into the full blow hallucinatory stage.

And for the last time, Zeel, I didn't come up with this, I'm aware it's sketchy and full of holes. It still makes more sense than the official ending.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
AD-Stu said:
Third book, apparently. Not the retarded/redacted one.
I don't want to sound like an ass here (and I can't believe I'm actually having this discussion), but have you actually read the book?

I have (huge nerd, like I said), and maybe I need to go back and read it again, but I don't recall anything about "growling". I guess it's possible it was mentioned, but I certainly don't remember it as being any kind of defining characteristic or side effect of indoctrination or anything.

And I'm not saying hallucinations don't happen, but they're not exactly a defining characteristic of indoctrination either. Far and away the most detailed description of indoctrination is the one contained in the Retribution novel and the way it describes the process, the subject retains awareness of their situation pretty much the whole time - they're just trapped inside their own minds, not in control of their bodies.

Long story short, you've gotta take a pretty liberal interpretation of the lore and combine it with a pretty liberal interpretation of the events in the game in order for this to make any sense.

On top of that, it means assuming that all the stuff in the game is there for the reasons you think it is, and not just because someone at Bioware was lazy / included it for some other random reason - which you can't assume, as per the Avenger assault rifle example mentioned previously.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So...now we know, definitively, who to blame. Everyone! Hike those skirts up, open those flys, prime those pumps with as much cheap beer and asparagus as you can lay hands on, and let us demolish the professional quarters of these men!

I'm totally serious. Someone piss on this dude's desk. While he's there. Terrible fucking ideas deserve terrible consequences. If someone's up to it, drop a deuce, right onto his desk. I will seriously bake you a cake. I might even come to your house and bake it if this happens.

"You don't need to know the answers"? What the crap is that? I'd freaking LOVE to know how long they've been doing it, how many civilizations were leveled, how many galaxies this has been happening to. Hell, an explanation of some of that might have made the endings a little less intolerable.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Frankly I think the ending was summed up in the fact that they never show you what Tali looks like. Everything that remains unanswered is conjecture for the fans to make by themselves.
The ending is what it is; hoping for something else is childish naivety.

I miss the days when I could ignore fan based consensus and just enjoy something.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
hang on, they didn't like the concept of boss fights? After Saren, the rocket spamming cricket on meth? or the 50m tall giant skeleton? both which happened to occur right at the end of the two previous games?

Just... what?

Jan 13, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
The Wykydtron said:
The rest of the game was pure awesomeness! Nobody seems to remember that and just harp the fuck on about the ending.
That's because the ending was equivalent to that of having a good dog for 10 years and one day he suddenly decides to murder your entire family. After that you don't remember the good times you had with the dog, you only remember the horror of seeing your entire family slaughtered by someone you trusted.

Maybe I'm overreacting with the killer dog analogy, but the point is that we were betrayed by someone we trusted for years. And it hurts.
That was actually a perfect analogy to me. When I finished the game and I felt like throwing the disks at a wall. Its not really a bad thing the endings were terrible, gives me a chance to move on from mass effect.

Also I totally agree with most of the plot holes but you seem to be missing another gaping plot hole, how the fuck did the reapers manage to move the citadel to Earth huh Bioware. Was it space magic, again.

Also fuck you EA, you ruined a perfectly good developer or maybe Bioware have turned evil on there own.