BioWare Can't Patch Unreadable Text for Non-HD TVs in Mass Effect 2

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
DannyBoy451 said:
Jesus, just buy a moniter and a VGA adapter and stop whining.
Does it say somewhere on the box "Monitor and VGA adapter required"? No? Then this is a failure of customer service, plain and simple. When you buy software it's implied that the hardware you need is clearly explained on the packaging. If it's not then they've screwed up.

If they were serious about retaining customers they'd at least offer a refund, but instead they're doing what everyone else does and leaving customer service up to Gamestop, who will gladly adjust the market value of their game by buying up "used" copies.

I'm sure they'll continue to complain about and attempt to damage that regular source of bailouts.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I still use a good old CTR, because I'm to lazy to get HD... It's a large one, so I don't have that much trouble, but I'm still happy that MGS4 at least gave the option to make the font bigger. Many games these days are totally unreadable, it's kinda stupid.

superdance14

Oct 15, 2008
Seeing as I have no idea how to hook up a console to my computer monitor and all my TVs are standard definition, this just means less money for me to spend.

Not everyone has a HDTV. Why can't developers realize this?

DannyBoy451

Jan 21, 2009
shMerker said:
DannyBoy451 said:
Does it say somewhere on the box "Monitor and VGA adapter required"? No? Then this is a failure of customer service, plain and simple. When you buy software it's implied that the hardware you need is clearly explained on the packaging. If it's not then they've screwed up.

If they were serious about retaining customers they'd at least offer a refund, but instead they're doing what everyone else does and leaving customer service up to Gamestop, who will gladly adjust the market value of their game by buying up "used" copies.

I'm sure they'll continue to complain about and attempt to damage that regular source of bailouts.
If you refuse to update the redundant system that you're using, then you lose all right to moan when developers don't make allowences for said redundant, outdated technology.

Seriously, you're using a tv that opperates by firing electrons at a fluorescent screen.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people buy bioware games on consoles? I'll never understand their logic.
Because consoles are nice and easy. Plus if it's on a console, noone can badger me about the inevitable nude mod that some lonely sad bastard has come up with.

OT - the size of the text doesn't bother me. The fact that the game has so many "HYPER SUPER FUTURISTIC PURE WHITE MEGA CLEAN FUTURE" locations and white text does. Seriously people, some grey (or even bordered text!) doesn't instantly mean it's 200 years in the past...

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Back when Dead Rising had this controversy, it was understandable and justified. That was 2006.

It's been four years. You don't have a right to complain anymore; a VGA cable for your Xbox is like $30.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I don't have an HD TV and still I can easily read the text on the screen without any problem. No my TV isn't huge, nor is my eyesight really bad.

It's really not that much of a problem.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
ciortas1 said:
dududf said:
Ha ha!

Poor console gamers, us PC gamers are unaffected.

Join me HDTV and PC gamers in our manacle laughter.

*Bwuahahahahahahaha*
Muhahahahaha!!
On a slightly more serious note, can people seriously just stop whining about this? You can't expect them to pour weeks, maybe months of redesigning and reprogramming all the menus just because some jerkoffs with SDTVs and no self control can't afford a decent picturemachine. It's possible to play these games and being able to read their text, all you need to do is put some thought into WHAT HARDWARE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON.
So this is under the assumption everyone starts off with the funds to buy an HDTV and squanders it? Classy, man. Real classy. As a college student I barely had the extra scratch to afford my 360, and I have to play it on the dorm television.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
All I have to say is this. If you have a 400$ console, and you buy 60$ games every other month, YOU CAN AFFORD A FUCKING HDTV. IT'S 2010, HDTV HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 5 YEARS. GET WITH THE TIME.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
jason27131 said:
All I have to say is this. If you have a 400$ console, and you buy 60$ games every other month, YOU CAN AFFORD A FUCKING HDTV. IT'S 2010, HDTV HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 5 YEARS. GET WITH THE TIME.
How about Bioware get with the times and let people change the font sizes. It has been possible for well over thirty years now.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
DannyBoy451 said:
shMerker said:
DannyBoy451 said:

If you refuse to update the redundant system that you're using, then you lose all right to moan when developers don't make allowences for said redundant, outdated technology.

Seriously, you're using a tv that opperates by firing electrons at a fluorescent
screen

Sorry if this is a double post. Actually LCD TVs don't work like that.

mixmastermind

Aug 15, 2008
jason27131 said:
All I have to say is this: If you bought a console for 180 dollars used and buy 1 $30 game every three months, YOU CAN AFFORD A 500 DOLLAR TV THAT MAKES YOUR CABLE CHANNELS LOOK WORSE. IT'S 2010, LESS THAN 50% OF THE UNITED STATES HAVE HDTVS. GET WITH THE TIME.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well almost anyone can get HD-resolution with their 360 by using the VGA cable to plug it into any old computer monitor, whether LCD or Cathode ray tube, you don't even have to buy the official Microsoft cable, any third-party cable will do just as well.

But of course there are those people who say "I don't want to play my games on a COMPUTER monitor" well it's either that or a crappy old SDTV, take your pick.

On topic, I think that Bioware just cannot be bothered doing more than making a press-release for what they likely perceive as backwood Luddites who are gaming in SD. I mean Bioware broke their back making a game their can play smoothly at 120x720p resolution, playing it in SD must be on some level perceived as insulting.

Another way to look at this is the text is obviously not of normal console layout where the letters are normally at least two pixels thick at the very least to compensate for how a console game is normally played on a TV from quite a distance (9 feet). But small, pixel thick, text is standard for PC games pleyed quite close to the screen. Seem bioware hasn't completely forgotten their PC roots and adds to the case that the PC version is the definitive version of Mass Effect 2.

Aug 25, 2009
DannyBoy451 said:
Some people don't have the money for that.

Anyway, I've been through the game twice, my TV is 13'' across, and I had no problem reading any of the text. Which text exactly couldn't be read? I don't think they get much smaller than my TV. Maybe the players have eyesight problems they didn't realise, and need glasses.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
shadow skill said:
mjhhiv said:
CoverYourHead said:
So I'm screwed. Great. Better get to work on getting that HDTV...
I can say from experience that this isn't a big deal. I have a standard definition television, and after playing through the entirety of ME1 with subtitles, I started ME2 with them -- I couldn't read the subtitles, so I turned them off. End of story. In normal dialogue, it's fine. Occasionally the white text of the wheel is set to a white background, and that is hard to read, but that is a problem that trancends my wimpy TV.
Yea it has to do with how the human eye works. Different people are going to have differing levels of vision so if Bioware was smart they would have included options to change the text size and/or the colour so users could have options that might have fixed the problem.
Oh I know, I've already beaten the game twice. It's just kind of annoying when you can't tell what you're going to say on the dialogue wheel. Not that that matters anyway, the whole "Up for paragon, down for renegade, left for continuation of conversation, right for ending of conversation", but still, a patch would be nice.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
mixmastermind said:
jason27131 said:
All I have to say is this: If you bought a console for 180 dollars used and buy 1 $30 game every three months, YOU CAN AFFORD A 500 DOLLAR TV THAT MAKES YOUR CABLE CHANNELS LOOK WORSE. IT'S 2010, LESS THAN 50% OF THE UNITED STATES HAVE HDTVS. GET WITH THE TIME.
Can't afford a HDTV for a HD CONSOLE? No problem!

1st - Learn to prioratize. If you can't afford games, DON'T!

2nd - GET EDUCATED IN UNVERSITY AND GET WELL PAYED JOB.

3rd - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL REQUIRED EQUIPMENT BEFORE BUYING CONSOLE! THAT MEANS HDTV FOR AN HD CONSOLE.

4th - ENJOY YOUR NEW GAMES and stop complaining about how you're poor.

Oh and for that 50% which doesn't have HDTV, I bet thats because their family annual income is around 50 grand.