BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka says it's "incredibly painful" to hear that Mass Effect 3 didn't live up to fans' expectations and suggests that BioWare is taking steps to address the situation.

The rage over the ending of Mass Effect 3 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Dissatisfied gamers by the thousands have howled on internet forums, thrown money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116315-Mass-Effect-3-Petition-Raises-Funds-For-Charity] at Child's Play [probably the only good thing to come out of all this] and even filed an FTC complaint against BioWare for false advertising. It's absolutely crazy - but it's also vehement enough to attract the attention of some pretty highly-placed folks at BioWare, including none other than Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder and now General Manager of EA's BioWare Label.

"As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I'm very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we've yet created," Muzyka wrote in a message to Mass Effect 3 players. "So, it's incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game's endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics - but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility."

Muzyka said he "believes passionately" that games are an art form and that he supports the "artistic choices" made by the Mass Effect 3 development team. At the same time, he acknowledges that players have a big stake in how the story unfolds, which puts the studio in the tough position of having to validate that commitment while remaining true to the artistic integrity of the game. "The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes a range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it," Muzyka wrote. "Even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that genuinely surprised us."

And even though it probably won't make anyone happy, Muzyka hinted that BioWare is taking steps to rectify the situation. "This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way," he wrote. "We're already working hard to do that."

"Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey," he continued. "We're working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we've received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."

"If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team - we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We're committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can," he concluded. "In return, I'd ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it's a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support."

Muzyka didn't specify what sort of initiatives BioWare is working on but said that we'll hear more about it sometime in April. You can read his message in full at the BioWare Blog [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/].

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Not going to stall the flames of the fans anytime soon.

Stop blowing againt the inferno and get out an actual fire hose.

By that i mean stop stalling for time and put up a definite statement of intention of what youre going to do then do it.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Well, this is most certainly welcome news. Of course, now we'll have to suffer all those tired, irrelevant old men complaining about how this undermines the artistic integrity of the medium, having gone through increasingly elaborate mental gymnastic to explain how the ending was in any way valid, all the while completely missing the point.

I for one, hope this means that a great franchise will get the ending it deserves.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Atleast this guy seems to know how to talk PR bullshite without managing to piss even more people off.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Oh, dear gods, would it kill them to be upfront about their intentions? All I read out of that was "hurr durr artistic integrity, blah blah passionate fans, something something dark side".

He speaks to us as if we can't see through the PR smokescreen.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I really hope they don't change it. I haven't played it yet, but I don't think it's possible to maintain artistic integrity if they go back and rework their work just because a bunch of people don't like it.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
I really hope they don't change it. I haven't played it yet, but I don't think it's possible to maintain artistic integrity if they go back and rework their work just because a bunch of people don't like it.
You, and the people pective.at bioware should give this a read, it's long but it's worth it. Might give you some perspective. http://www.themetagames.com/2012/03/why-you-enjoy-art-and-one-problem-with.html

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Dear Bioware:

Stop talking in bloody riddles!
[sub] and give me an ending that makes sense[/sub]

Thank you

Putowtin

Noxman

Mar 4, 2010
Personally I think its nice to have some actual acknowledgement from Biowares side and a slight admission of issues with the ending. The thing i'm most dissapointed about is that this announcement fully admits that none of it was planned and that they are genuinely surprised with the fan reaction.

This is horrifying. It means the indoctrination theory is wrong and that the ending is to be taken at face value. Talking about needing more closure and making content to facilitate this seems to imply that DLC will cover what happened around Shepard's trip into the Citadel rather than what happens afterwards. I would rather I was emotionally manipulated into hating the ending only to find out it was all a brilliant ruse.

The fact that Bioware didn't see any of this coming after the slapshod ending cinematics that are painfully unclear about just about any particular detail, abandon well establish lore and even stretch into implying that we should be taking it all as allegory, is a frightening prospect.

Thanks for the acknowledgement but goddamn I wish we didn't need it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics - but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.
Well, here's the thing. With a much-anticipated triple-A game of significant length that every video game media site pretty much has to have a review out on ASAP lest they get left in the dust by their competitors- how likely is it that every reviewer who posts a review has actually made it to the ending?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Someone should go to everyone at Bioware and sew their lips shut.

For such good script writers they sure can't say 5 words in a row with out pissing somebody off.

"Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics."
What the fuck guys? What the fuck?

The people who work at Bioware are fucking idiots but I WILL buy their fucking DLC. Because the end they gave us not only ruined the ME 3 it destroyed the first two games as well.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
"We're working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we've received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."

I haven't played ME3, (or most of ME2 for that matter) but from what I've gathered from players and fans, this statement seems to completely miss the point. Him saying that addressing the fan feedback and maintaining artistic integrity are mutually exclusive is insulting...the fans WANT artistic integrity. They want what they were promised all along, a true and unique ending to their personal story, and everything in this statement goes against that.

It seems to me that he's basically saying that the "original story" (in other words, the default story) is more important artistically than giving the players unique and absolute closure, when the exact opposite is true. He insinuates that the fans demands don't have artistic merit, but then goes on to say that they're going to continue releasing new ME content after this alleged and commercialized "finale."

The fans want an ENDING that fits their PERSONAL story. Not a generic (or in his words, "original") ending followed by a slew of new content.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Didn't I hear somewhere that negative press is still better than no press?

How many fans are now going to be waiting with baited breath to hear from Bioware in April? Close to every last one of them.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Yes! Closure dammit! That's all I wanted! No gaping plot holes and unanswered questions! Ya don't have to change the ending just fill me in on what the hell happened afterward!

Also make sure to keep Casey Hudson away from the media since I don't think he can come up with anything smart enough to dodge all the misleading claims that have already been thrown at his face like a brick.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Artistic integrity? That's what fans are asking for in the first place.

Creating an ending that adds plot holes, opens up new questions and contradicts previously established lore, all the while completely ignoring the choices made throughout the game and leaving Shepard and the crews fate on a cliffhanger is hardly full of it.

Don't get me wrong, Bioware made the game, they can end it how they choose, but if they seriously believed that the ending they chose would go down well with the majority of fans then I want some of what they were smoking.

STARSaIphaTeam

Apr 25, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
But you haven't played it yet. I think they loose artistic integrity for leaving it. They aren't going to change it though. They are just going to expand on it. Not to hard, considering how wide open they left it.