BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Don quixote said:
Zortack said:
The "philosophy" of the endings or "message" has been attacked by many people who've shown to have a better grasp of philosophical theory than any supporter I've come across. Most supporters usually just stop at "you don't understand" or "it's about hope".

The ending's teleological views on evolution (yes, these are mutually exclusive) aswell as it's social darwinist approach to the nature of conlict is something you'd expect in a 19th century novel not in a 21st century game.

Anyone with even the slighest capacity for critical thought can see these endings for what they are, rushed, poorly thought out heaps of nonsense.
See, this is good a clear, calm, and rational argument. Honestly, thank you Zortack. If you would, could you link the arguments you referenced? I would love to read them for myself.

Truth be told, the actual value of the piece is irrelevant. It is wrong to demand that Bioware change the endings, under any circumstance. This is a matter of free speech, censorship, and the future of video games as an artistic medium. If creative integrity is not respected, the medium cannot and should not be taken seriously. The arrogant, self-righteous, stupidity of the Gamer community on this, has only served to prove that "being a gamer" is not a legitimate lifestyle decision.
Here's a good one

http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
I will have to call out Yahtzee for not calling Bullshit to this Ending. Endings like this should be a big fat target for you and there where so many things quite odd about it that its rather hard to overlook them all. Frankly, the whole Game should have received some rather unkind Words from your end because previous accomplishments apparently end up filling a bar.
killed the Rachni in the first Game? Good thing we have replacement Rachni on the Shelf over there. And lots of other replacements for other Stuff that we where to lazy to do some real work with.
And of course: R/G/B Explosions.

Good to hear you weren't as mad about it as Moviebob apparently was. I was rather confused about his Tweets. Our Medium has come quite far when you have the first artsy pretentious Snobs around that having nothing but scorn for the low brow gamer masses who cant understand the meaning behind it and therefore must be stupid for being upset about it.
Now why couldn't you be the first artsy Snob? I think you would've done a fine Job at that. Instead you're somewhat neutral and quite frankly, boring.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
DAMMIT. I was hoping that they wouldn't do it. DON'T YOU SEE, BIOWARE? If the gaming community were a high school, you'd be the cheerleader that had sex with the jock because everybody expects you to be a slut, and peer pressure got the best of you! There's so much more to you--excellent writing, brilliant artistic choices--yet everyone expects you to cater to their juvenile desires.

There are times when the devs should collaborate with players. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Especially since the game up until that point was nothing to complain about.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I just finished the game tonight (bit late to the party) and here's what I think.
The ending isn't great, for the obvious reasons- lack of closure, loose plot ends, nonsensical fantastic ending (I chose Synthesis), confusing options etc. But at least Bioware tried, instead of going with the everyone-lives-everyone's-happy ending, and that I respect. It would have destroyed the grit and the immense sense of doom that Bioware managed to create over the trilogy.
To be honest, the most disappointing thing for me was that my Shepard wouldn't be able to fulfill the promise and dream of surviving to spend the rest of his life with Liara, but that just goes to show how strong the storytelling is, it isn't a problem with the ending.
If they do change things, I'd hope it'd just be a small thing added on to tie up loose ends.

X10Unit1

Dec 28, 2011
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
So legions of fans have essentially bullied the shite out of a group of artists until they caved and decided to rewrite the ending to THEIR series.

Great.
Okay, this "bullying artist" thing is annoying. They got called out on a bad ending because they promised something(choices affecting outcome) and didn't even come close to delivering it. It was a bad way to end series. It was a lazy way to end the series and if they were truly artist, they would have known this as well.

In the future, they need to keep their PR and marketing departments in check and stop promising things they don't plan on delivering. In fact, that applies to all marketing/PR departments. They really screw over their companies when you do this.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
X10Unit1 said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
So legions of fans have essentially bullied the shite out of a group of artists until they caved and decided to rewrite the ending to THEIR series.

Great.
Okay, this "bullying artist" thing is annoying. They got called out on a bad ending because they promised something(choices affecting outcome) and didn't even come close to delivering it. It was a bad way to end series. It was a lazy way to end the series and if they were truly artist, they would have known this as well.

In the future, they need to keep their PR and marketing departments in check and stop promising things they don't plan on delivering. In fact, that applies to all marketing/PR departments. They really screw over their companies when you do this.
Maybe in their opinion they bloody well delivered what they initially promised. Has that ever occurred to you? By the by, did you develop the game? Write the dialogue, nay not just the dialogue, but the whole bloody plot? You may have played it, but you're but the audience, not the creator of the work. Do you fault a fellow for painting two masterful paintings that portray flowers only to shock his public with a portrait of a giant ribbed alien dick? (Sans circumcision)
Do you? If so, I can't help but consider you a philistine. Best you study a work of art rather than fling your controller at it in infantile and abject rage.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
X10Unit1 said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:

Great.

Maybe in their opinion they bloody well delivered what they initially promised. Has that ever occurred to you? By the by, did you develop the game? Write the dialogue, nay not just the dialogue, but the whole bloody plot? You may have played it, but you're but the audience, not the creator of the work. Do you fault a fellow for painting two masterful paintings that portray flowers only to shock his public with a portrait of a giant ribbed alien dick? (Sans circumcision)
Do you? If so, I can't help but consider you a philistine. Best you study a work of art rather than fling your controller at it in infantile and abject rage.
And I'm totally expecting to get harassed by the Escapists mods for my rage. I HAD to speak out though.

X10Unit1

Dec 28, 2011
As you should.

I would hope that they think they are delivering what they promised otherwise they are blatantly deceiving us.

I don't understand how my non-involvement in the creation of this game allows them not to meet the expectations that they themselves set. I personally had very low expectations of the game and they cleared and exceeded them until the end, even with all of the plotholes and bugs. It was when they failed to deliver what was promised that I was disappointed. You assume that I am raging over this, which you are mistaken.

Am I right to assume the painter promised a painting of flowers only to be a picture of something else? If that is the case, then yes, yes I would. The artist set an expectation and failed to deliver. Why shouldn't they be called on it?

You are welcome to call me whatever you want. I suggest you take a few steps back and look at the entire situation before you get upset at me.

Look at the expectations set in their interviews and commercials. Look at the story from just ME3 and then from the series as a whole and analyze it. If you don't want to do that, there are several great youtube and blog articles out there that do an amazing job breaking everything down. There are big things they promised and didn't deliver on. That is the issue here. Had no expectations been set, there would have been some outcry still but not to the degree that it is.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
"Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics."

And when critics provide the majority of sales for your product, that will be an entirely valid approach.

Right now? Not so much.