BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Copper Zen said:
I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

When Dragon Age III comes out we'll find out.
Well, if DA3 is anything like ME3, than they should do okay... though hopefully they will have learned not to get lazy when it comes to the ending.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
templar1138a said:
Neat. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Age 2 - better than Origins, in fact - so I'm looking forward to this.
There aren't that few of us. ;-)

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
4173 said:
Cautiously interested; DA2 had a few flashes of being an alright game.

The mage situation in the DA universe is somewhat novel, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to be the focus of the 2nd and 3rd games...
There's still Flemith who, hang on SPOILER
At the end of the Origins DLC Witch Hunt Morrigan said Flemith may never have been human. She's something totally different to every kind of Demon we've seen in the entire Dragon Age universe.
At least I hope they don't fix everything up in a cliche package like... y'know that other game. But I think this is a different team and different writers so here's hoping. Dragon age is like my Mass effect.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Oh boy I disliked the focus in the Chantry/Mages in II, wasn't really interested in having this be DA III's main focus again.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
templar1138a said:
Neat. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Age 2 - better than Origins, in fact - so I'm looking forward to this.
There aren't that few of us. ;-)
Perhaps not, but it's always a bit depressing when I see people rant against it, from the difference in control mechanics to the recycled locations (a decision I favored as it built sentiment). It feels like they missed the point.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh fuuuuuuuuuck. Not this again. These forums dawg, they react rather explosively and irrationally to the Bioware juices...

OT: Seeing as i'm one of the rare people who actually didn't let the admittedly shit ME3 ending sour the entire rest of the game and liked the ending to DA2 a whole bunch, so as long as they at least somewhat take their time over it i'm set to throw money at a new DA game.

Hopefully it won't get rushed the fuck out of like 2 and be the new most barebones AAA release I have ever seen.

EDIT: Perfect post timing me! the above post couldn't be more fitting XD

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Krantos said:
soren7550 said:
First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:
*snip*
I prefer this one

No one expects it.
Damn ninjas with your post-stealing ninjitsu! :p

Yeah, right when I read topic title of "Bioware Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition" I immediately thought "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!"

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well BioWare so far did not disappoint me to the point where I would avoid their products like the plague.
DA2 while being a disappointment considering the predecessor was still a decent game.
ME3 was IMO a major improvement in every aspect over its predecessors. The only let down was the ending which got fixed from bullshit to somewhat acceptable.
SWTOR while not necessarily being a good MMO was IMO damn good single player RPG. I enjoyed the hell out of the story of the Sith Inquistor, Jedi Knight, Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior.
However the bloopers in the recent game certainly made me cautious.
I hope they learned their lesson from DA2 and ME3 and that DA3 will be a worthy successor of DA1.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
well, they did master the mass effect formula at the third installment too.
(save for the ending yes we know)

here's for cautious optimism, I'll play it at a friend's house who IS foolish enough to install Origin.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Krantos said:
soren7550 said:
First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:
*snip*
I prefer this one

No one expects it.
"Our chief weapon is suprise, suprise and fear"

ProtoChimp said:
There's still Flemith who, hang on SPOILER
At the end of the Origins DLC Witch Hunt Morrigan said Flemith may never have been human. She's something totally different to every kind of Demon we've seen in the entire Dragon Age universe.
At least I hope they don't fix everything up in a cliche package like... y'know that other game. But I think this is a different team and different writers so here's hoping. Dragon age is like my Mass effect.
My thought was:
Flemith is (in some way) responsible for it all, the rise of the darkspawn, the mage rebellion, some how they all work to her advantage

OT: finger's crossed, fingers crossed for a return to form

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Here's my stance on Bioware, EA's involvement with them, and any future games they might make:

Bioware has no one to blame for their stale output but Bioware. Other than the more personal games of Baldur?s Gate and ? more recently ? Dragon Age 2, every single player game they?ve made has followed the exact same formula of ?You are the [Jedi/Spirit Monk/SPECTRE/Grey Warden], and only YOU can save the [galaxy/empire/galaxy/world] from the [Sith/death of the world/Reapers/Blight]! But first you must find [the Star Forge/the Spirit Amulet/{the Conduit/a strike team/allies}/allies] by visiting these three or four locations and doing a bunch of side quests!?

I used to love them, but as each successive game comes out, it's clear to me that the developer has been in a creative rut for nearly a decade. Dragon Age 2 is the closest they've come to breaking out and writing something new, but they rushed that one out the door, so it didn't live up to its potential and ended up a a copypasta mess(that I still enjoyed nonetheless). But hey, at least they tried...

Now don't get me wrong; I'm probably going to buy DA3. But Bioware is no longer on my A-list. They're popcorn fodder. Sunday Matinee material. The shadow of a giant that once built a palace in the sky, but is now content to continually craft successive sand castles with the same worn-out mold.

What a waste.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I want to believe, I want to believe they learn from their mistakes. The thing I hate the most is that there's the potential for a truly magnificent game in every Bioware game, but they keep ruining it thanks to decisions that are mostly commercial.

At least they seem to listen to gamers. Mass Effect 3 DLC shows that. But it's still a flawed game. Just give us the masterpiece that I know you can make, Bioware!

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
fi6eka said:
El Danny said:
Disagree.....
You can disagree all you want, but that doesnt change the fact DA2 was a steaming pile of horse manure, and ME3 finally made me appreciate The End of Evangelion.

Also fool me once shame on you Bioware,fool me twice.....Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooouuuuu.

This is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post... *sigh*

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
El Danny said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.
Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.
I think you've hit the nail on the head... It's Bioware, it's going to be a great game. Maybe not as great as Origins, but probably better than DA2 because of the extended dev cycle. But, since Bioware fans have been stirred into a permanent rage because of DA2 and the ME3 ending, any praise will be drowned out by the fans' bitching. Oh well, I'm excited for more Dragon Age.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Bioware has no one to blame for their stale output but Bioware. Other than the more personal games of Baldur?s Gate and ? more recently ? Dragon Age 2, every single player game they?ve made has followed the exact same formula of ?You are the [Jedi/Spirit Monk/SPECTRE/Grey Warden], and only YOU can save the [galaxy/empire/galaxy/world] from the [Sith/death of the world/Reapers/Blight]! But first you must find [the Star Forge/the Spirit Amulet/{the Conduit/a strike team/allies}/allies] by visiting these three or four locations and doing a bunch of side quests!?
You make a valid point, because that's pretty much the formula that Bioware games follow... But that's also part of why people like Bioware so much. The overarching goal/story is usually simple and doesn't really differentiate, which allows the characters and the universe to be explored more.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Copper Zen said:
I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

When Dragon Age III comes out we'll find out.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware has learned from their past mistakes. I would, however be flabbergasted if EA learned anything from past mistakes.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I would give the tiniest amount of a crap about this if DA2 hadn't been trash. Seriously, Bioware, we liked DA:O for a reason, and that reason was because it was a Bioware RPG instead of a Bioware braindead button-mashy action game. It's like you thought "Gee, people loved that we made a true Bioware RPG in an original fantasy universe, maybe we should take out everything that made it good and replace it with garbage in the vein of that Mass Effect game that makes us so much money." And I KNOW you can do better with your writing than DA2, because the writing and world building you did is the Mass Effect trilogy was SO worth the boring gameplay and shitty companion AI.

Let me love you again, Bioware. Please T_T

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
No way Bioware. Not this time. I loved Origins, everything about it (save for the slight delay in giving orders in combat), so when Dragon Age 2 was announced I was all giddy and excited. I preordered it and was pumped as all hell on release day. But you broke my heart.

I tried to deny it. I tried to tell myself the game was fun. I pretended that the characters were interesting (only Varric was). I tried to believe the game wasn't dumbed down and lazily rushed out. But eventually I had to face the truth. DA2 sucked. It sucked so hard.

The repetitive environments, the messy combat, the waves after waves of enemies in a single fight, the poorly balanced skill system, the simplified dialogue trees, the lack of any coherent plot, the ugly new art design whan Origins looked gorgeous. Just, what the hell? How could you screw up so badly after such an excellent game?