BioWare Could Move Away from Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Sep 14, 2009
well this could be good, but at the same time i really do love the way they treat their rpg's, so as long as they either:

A)keep doing rpg's

B)keep the same "flow/point of their games" but with different flavors of genre's and theme's

i'm cool with it.

part A is more of a concern..but either way i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Noooo! I hate modern era, it's so boring. Why would anyone want to be a cop when they can be ANYTHING? Dragons > Drug Lords

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I'm sure if they focused more on multiplayer, switched to first person andmaybe pull the accent away from the story (booooring amirite!) that would certainly "broaden their appeal, broaden their reach, sell more units and get more fans."

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Bioware moves away from fantasy and sci-fi... and into gritty, brown, modern shooter territories?

Arghhhhh....

Why is it developers look at the gaming world and think to themselves "You know what would be cooler than an outlandish blitz through space with countless bad guys from multiple varied races fighting an intergalactic (technically) threat? A setting that any person could look out their front window and envision happening simply by reading the newspaper!"

Please ... not saying that modern, gritty cop dramas or brown, samey shooters are necessarily bad ... just ... you know ... maybe make a limit on how many of these games are produced and focus on some interesting, new, ips?

Like how about a pseudo medical drama where you're a psychiatric 'surgeon' ... in the near future all diseases have been cured, but the stress on our neural activity from the continuing increase of labour and ever immersive digital landscapes (cybernetic games, news, etc etc) creates biological computer viruses that warp our perceptions and thus require a psychiatric 'surgeon' to delve into your 'headspace' to isolate traumas and introduce chemical and/or electrical stimuli to combat the problem.

And from that proceed into an action adventure setting which has the good doctor realize a secret that everyone is dying due to 'information overload' but the world government kept a lid on it to avoid mass panic, and thus the doctor mindfucks key conspiracy members into finding the big red button that collapses half of the 'neural-net' ... destroying the collective world government and plunging entire societies into civil war, but otherwise sparing some of Humanity's population.

Something like that ...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Doesn't necessarily even have to be modern to be fantasy/sci-fi. How about the lives of a wandering group of mercenaries in ancient Greece? And there are plenty of ways (cop drama, western, kurosawa-esque samurai story, alternate history, etc) to set places in non SF settings that aren't typical. Honestly, it might be interesting to see something that's not combat-related - I'm imagining Bioware doing Ocean's 11 or a game about running a field hospital in a war-torn country.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Bioware,

please catch onto what Access Games was trying to accomplish with Spy Fiction and make a true espionage game. We should have more games where the player can assume other identities and hide in plain site while accomplishing their missions, y'know, like a real spy. People call games like the Metal Gear Solid series espionage/spy games but I disagree. Sure you sneak around through air ducts and cardboard boxes gathering info but eventually you get caught in a fight with a giant robot and I think at that point you've failed as a spy. The series is great and the developers have my respect but I wouldn't call it a true espionage game.

But, I digress from my rant. Whatever you do I hope it will be good and by the way, do try to avoid the gritty realistic games that come in various shades of gray and brown. We have enough of those and not enough fantasy games.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Bioware, you know what you have to do, don't go looking around for other solutions for your creative rut, look right under your nose. Jade Empire 2, get on it.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Honestly, as much as I have to join the chorus of applause at BioWare's storytelling, I feel like the gameplay in their games need serious work. I've tried three times to play Dragon Age: Origins. I love the story, I really do. I want to know more about Ferelden, the Fade, everything. BUT, I can't play for longer than 2-3 hours in a sitting for more than 2 weeks or so before I just get so brain-dead bored of the slow-paced, stale combat that I'm clawing at my gaming library desperately for some relief. I have never finished the game, not because I was not interested in how it ended, but because some other game would always entice me and overwhelm my free time until I'd return to the game, see where I was at, and feel unfulfilled were I to try to resume where I had left off.

Also, could someone please send an Open Letter to BioWare stating that we do NOT need gratuitous sex scenes in every game they produce...and if we really do, PLEASE give us some more attractive options, either physically, personality-wise, or both. I do NOT want to engage in Alien Sex of any kind, and the entire female cast of both Dragon Ages could have bodies like Pamela Anderson and their fucking personalities would still be as grating as sliding down a gravel road at 50 MPH.

PaulH said:
Like how about a pseudo medical drama where you're a psychiatric 'surgeon' ... in the near future all diseases have been cured, but the stress on our neural activity from the continuing increase of labour and ever immersive digital landscapes (cybernetic games, news, etc etc) creates biological computer viruses that warp our perceptions and thus require a psychiatric 'surgeon' to delve into your 'headspace' to isolate traumas and introduce chemical and/or electrical stimuli to combat the problem.

And from that proceed into an action adventure setting which has the good doctor realize a secret that everyone is dying due to 'information overload' but the world government kept a lid on it to avoid mass panic, and thus the doctor mindfucks key conspiracy members into finding the big red button that collapses half of the 'neural-net' ... destroying the collective world government and plunging entire societies into civil war, but otherwise sparing some of Humanity's population.

Something like that ...
So...Psychonauts 2???

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
I'd love me something slightly Steampunk-flavored, or maybe a sequel to Jade Empire?

[sub]...or mix and match, maybe coin in a new genre, oh my![/sub]

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
GraelHart said:
I'd love me something slightly Steampunk-flavored, or maybe a sequel to Jade Empire?

1. Jade Empire was a financial disaster.

2. Going out of the RPG genre would be the death of Bioware. The company always creates games with weak gameplay. The only game in which the gameplay was good was Baldur's Gate - and that was because their targeted audience was DnD players. Everything they've made up until now is tolerable, however the plot and worlds they've made did make those games really good. If they move from the RPG genre there will be more weight on their weakest link, which is not a good thing for Bio.

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
Traun said:
GraelHart said:

1. Jade Empire was a financial disaster.

2. Going out of the RPG genre would be the death of Bioware. The company always creates games with weak gameplay. The only game in which the gameplay was good was Baldur's Gate - and that was because their targeted audience was DnD players. Everything they've made up until now is tolerable, however the plot and worlds they've made did make those games really good. If they move from the RPG genre there will be more weight on their weakest link, which is not a good thing for Bio.
1. Noted, I'd still like a sequel none the less.

2. New genre, as in a Steampunk - Oriental fusion, might have worded that one better I suppose.

[sub]I suppose I'm not a morning person, after all...[/sub]

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
GiantRaven said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Maybe redo Arcanum?
If an Arcanum remake were ever to come around, I'd much rather Obsidian were the developers. They showed they could handle an open world game when they released New Vegas.
Despite wanting a Steampunk RPG I agree Obsidian would definately be a better choice for the Arcanum license. Bioware could certainly create a new IP with a steampunk style though.
It could work the way Mass Effect worked.If you think about it,it's an open world RPG(or open space).Also I don't want to see another game on the oblivion engine...

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
Radeonx said:
Well Jade Empire was one of their best games, and I'd hardly consider that traditional fantasy, so I think that they could do this well.
it is still fantasy just not traditional fantasy and jade empire was AMAZING!!!!

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
My first reflex was to start cursing and calling them idiots. Then I remembered something: Bioware is great at building worlds, universes and characters so why not let them venture elsewhere? The thing I worry about is that they might try to tackle the world as is, which I could not honestly see going well.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Hristo Tzonkov said:
It could work the way Mass Effect worked.If you think about it,it's an open world RPG(or open space).Also I don't want to see another game on the oblivion engine...
You won't its been completely reworked for Skyrim.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
You won't its been completely reworked for Skyrim.
What if it's pretty much the same just with better graphics?I kinda dislike the way the world is build.While there's a lot to see and do individual spaces feel more empty because everything looks generic.Ah well I hope they fix that.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
zerobudgetgamer said:
So...Psychonauts 2???
Nothing like psychonauts.

Moreso 1 part Matrix, 1 part Logan's Run, 2 parts Paprika, 1 part Dark City (1998), 2 parts Escape from L.A.

Shake well and pour over ice.

Go for a super dark Neo Noir game aesthetic and feel. Zero lens flare, zero bloom, real interplay between shadow and pitch look.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Bioware disappoints me a little bit now. Primarily because I loved BG2 to absolute bits, potentially my favorite game of all time, and I really liked the KOTOR games too. But Dragon Age....it never clicked with me, I walked in expecting BG2 in 3d and lets face it, it isn't that, its closer to KOTOR which isnt a bad thing, but they seem to be drifting away from the style of their most famous games(imo). Dunno if it as good thing or a bad thing, but heres wishing for a BG3.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this isnt actually a bad thing

just think what they could do with a different genre aside form your standard high fantasy?