BioWare Could Move Away from Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I don't know if moving away from Sci-Fi / Fantasy is necessary, seeing as Bioware is one of the few companies that produce (IMO), reliably enjoyable RPGs in those genres. What they need to do is continue DA2's trend of bucking the "Bioware Formula." Flaws aside, DA2 was a breath of fresh air after the constant stream of "Only you, the Jedi/Grey Warden/Spirit Monk, can collect the Star Maps/allies/Dragon Amulet pieces in order to stop the Sith/Blight/Emperor."

If it takes a genre change to accomplish this, then I guess I can live with that.

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
Oh, please please please do a spy game, Bioware. I loved the idea of Alpha Protocol and honestly, I'm pretty surprised there aren't more spy games in the video game industry today.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
I am not surprised that Bioware would be moving away from traditionally (in gaming) the two genres that rely - more than any other - on their story.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
NO!
Fantasy and Sci-Fi are the unrealistic genres. Those are the ones where anything awesome can happen.
Abandoning those is abandoning fun.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont mind if Bioware experiments making games I might not get, but dont do it all in ME and DA. Thats why they are starting to be crappy.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I am all for Bioware branching out into different genres, so long as it is not the brown and realistic genre. I can't stand brown and realistic.

Also here to join the chorus of Jade Empire lovers. Bring back Jade Empire!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
While I can see and honestly agree they could handle a different type of setting, I do NOT see them building another type of game, considering they have basically just remade the same gameplay mechanic for the last decade.

I dont think they want to make a different type of game. Perhaps I am wrong, but Im thinking if they wanted to make a different type, they would have already done ANYTHING by now.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
barash said:
Whatever they make, will be 'streamlined to be even more accessible to the fans and when you press a button something awesome will happen! Twice!'.

Screw Bioware, they're cutting to many corners in the name of a quicker buck. And the corners they cut are all from the RPG-part of the equation.
Whatever it is it'll be super gay.

I mean that literally. They are forcing the topic so hard. Good lord, I'm as pro sexuality of any natural nature as you can get without becoming a point singularity for it, but even I'm thinking "Alright guys...that's a little bit forced."

I imagine their next game will be like heavy rain but the plot twist will be that everyone is gay.

I wouldn't mind it if it was canon, but the hardcore retconning is just really jarring.

Again, in no way anti-gay, just think Bioware is going about it very tacky and ruining an oppurtunity.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Historical settings have to be an obvious option. The Assassins Creed series proved that there are plenty of options beyond medieval England and it's fantasy analogues. AC may have a sci-fi arc surrounding it, but it's hardly in my mind while I'm playing it. Just don't do Italy in the 1500's though, that's been thoroughly worked over

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
A modern day Bioware RPG could be interesting. Something in a modern urban setting. Only problem is, how do they do it without making it urban fantasy?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Espionage RPG Espionage RPG Espionage RPG please, please pleeaaaaaase do some kind of Espionage or Intelligence/Spy Agency RPG.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Know what kind of setting they need to do? Ancient civilization. No, not even Assassin's Creed 1 ancient, I mean like just discovering how to build huts and making bone jewelery ancient. Or if not that's too much, perhaps around the invention of cuneiform.

Anyway, you would play an ancient man trying to become warchief of his tribe. You fight for land from enemy tribes, you learn to make spears, and kill anyone trying to usurp your leadership. It would be like the early turns of a Civilization game, but you beat the people with clubs yourself.

If historical accuracy gets boring you can always just go the Flinstone's route and have the player fight and/or tame dinosaurs. I mean, seriously, there are not enough games on the market where I can fight dinosaurs.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Jade Empire just happens to be my favourite BioWare game...

I for one hope that they broaden their range. Not too far at the moment of course, but something other than Sci-Fi or Fantasy could be a nice change, and a new challenge for BioWare to tackle.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
THE END IS NIGH!

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are easily my favorite themes in games, but I could see myself enjoying a modern spy RPG, if done properly.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

I'm surprised at how well people are taking this. I was expecting a torrent of hate.

Personally, I'd like to see them try new things. Just so long as they don't go for the grey-FPS-set-during-modern-conflict approach. That would be a tragedy.

EDIT:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Steampunk please, oh god please. If Bioware made a deal with Girl Genius I might implode from happiness :3
Stop taunting me with such visions. It's cruel.