BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.
Added on content. Not cut content.

Something extra for people who buy the CE and available to buy if you didn't.
Not really I mean, story wise, a living breathing prothean is a HUGE deal. I mean wow a living being from a race that was wiped out 50,000 years ago but managed to help give you a fighting chance.

That seems pretty fucking critical to me.

I imagine just a few years down the road, right before the final cutscene of a game that would give you your ending an EA window will pop up and it will go, to see the final scene you'll need our Deluxe Ending DLC pack! It encludes an extra ending to the game! It's added content! (and the non DLC ending is just a cut to black "Game Over" screen without it.)

I know I'm going to sound very hipster on this...but I really enjoy not buying AAA titles anymore. They just nickel and dime us more, they become part of these heartless ginormous publishers like EA or Activision. Better to buy Indie and save yourself the heart ache of getting fucked on DLC.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Okay, so the DLC costs $10. And the collector's edition I assume costs about $70 with the DLC free. So wouldn't buying the standard edition and the DLC separately cost about the same as the collector's edition itself? Give or take $1 or so?
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
Well than, I sure am glad I was born in the year of the sheep. Because I'm going to buy this DLC.

*Baaah Baaah*

Translation: U mad?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
First off, I do believe this should have been the "Free to all new/week 1 copies" DLC. On the other hand, I'm remembering the Collector DLC from the last game that 360 people who bought regular never got, so I'm glad there's the option to get it.

Honestly though, as of right now, I don't think anyone outside of Bioware can say if the Prothean is going to be as big a member of the squad as people are making him out to be. This could be another Zaeed, a good little bit of spice to the squad, but not really important, or even Kasumi, where there's more dialogue and a great mission, but still not that big a deal. Rage if it turns out to be a Legion, an interesting member of the party from a race that you never saw coming.

Anyways, I'm hoping EA remembers that the promotion of free stuff got me to check out both Dead Space 2 (ok, that and the constant praise by my friends, but that free armor helped ease me into buying the already discounted game despite the fact that it meant I would max out my monthly game budget) and Kingdoms of Amalur as well as kept me coming back to and talking to my friends about ME2 whenever they dropped more free stuff. I'll be more likely to drop some of my cash your way if I see some.

Dec 14, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:

Not really I mean, story wise, a living breathing prothean is a HUGE deal. I mean wow a living being from a race that was wiped out 50,000 years ago but managed to help give you a fighting chance.

I imagine just a few years down the road, right before the final cutscene of a game that would give you your ending an EA window will pop up and it will go, to see the final scene you'll need our Deluxe Ending DLC pack! It encludes an extra ending to the game! It's added content! (and the non DLC ending is just a cut to black "Game Over" screen without it.)

I know I'm going to sound very hipster on this...but I really enjoy not buying AAA titles anymore. They just nickel and dime us more, they become part of these heartless ginormous publishers like EA or Activision. Better to buy Indie and save yourself the heart ache of getting fucked on DLC.
The Prothean is in the game regardless. The DLC just makes him recruitable as a squad mate and the couple of side quests that entails.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Zeel said:
Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
So you're saying I should agree with you no questions asked? Boy it sounds a lot like you want me to be a brainwashed sheep, just a brainwashed sheep who thinks the same as you.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
draythefingerless said:
if the prothean is in the regular game, and the only thing the DLC does is him being able to be a part of your squad and some NormandyCrashSite-esque visit to Eden Prime, then im ok. if he is not in the regular game at all, and the CE people get a fully functional prothean, with DIALOGUE, insightful interaction and a HUGE point to the Mass Effect experience, then people are right to be mad.
I think that's a nice succinct way to put it really.

a sidenote: oh look who decided to show up here, joy

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
scorptatious said:
Okay, so the DLC costs $10. And the collector's edition I assume costs about $70 with the DLC free. So wouldn't buying the standard edition and the DLC separately cost about the same as the collector's edition itself? Give or take $1 or so?
Zeel said:

Well than, I sure am glad I was born in the year of the sheep. Because I'm going to buy this DLC.

Baaah Baaah
The collector's edition is $80 on Origin. Eighty fucking dollars. Which means the only way to get "the full experience" on day one is to shell out $20 extra for content that was purposely withheld from the player. It's unacceptable no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Zeel said:
Tzekelkan said:
What the fucking-entitlement-FUCK?

I just don't have any words. I expected a much more rational response to this well written and rational news post. Really? "Sheeple"? REALLY?

God dammit.
Zeel said:
No independent thought? Jesus fucking shit Christ of helldamnfuck. I'd say that not even reading the post and just mindlessly going with the crowd means not having independent thought. You seem to believe it means doing research, listening to the opinions of others, and then forming your own opinion, whichever it may end up being.

You'll probably react with a knee jerk and call me a brainwashed consumerist pig for daring to write this post, because you will have failed to notice that I haven't even yet given my opinion on this Day One DLC business for ME3.
Why the fuck are you replying to a post about people who defend it, if you aren't one. What kind of loopy ass shit is that. If you haven't given your opinion on the DLC business. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

C
L
E
A
R
L
Y
I am replying to you because you're the one with the loopy logic, and in my kind and generous nature I intent to correct your erroneous ways. You should be grateful to me, I have now opened your eyes to the fact that people may have different opinions to yours.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
What's up with the use of "gamer entitlement" at every bioware thread now?

Everyone that disagree with the way bioware does business now are angry gamers with "gamer entitlement? Is that a new buzzword or what?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.
When that's proven I will give up my boycott. Until then I stand by it.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Zeel said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Sandytimeman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:

The Prothean is in the game regardless. The DLC just makes him recruitable as a squad mate and the couple of side quests that entails.
I keep hearing about this. Can I see where you guys are getting 'this'? Not that it matter mind you, but I like to stay informed.
Supposedly it is in the leaked script and that came out before they started on this.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
Agente L said:
What's up with the use of "gamer entitlement" at every bioware thread now?

Everyone that disagree with the way bioware does business now are angry gamers with "gamer entitlement? Is that a new buzzword or what?
Yes. That and "Bioware is telling the truth". I'd sooner bite off my thumb than believe a word that comes out of the Bioware's PR team. Their entire job is lie to the consumer.
your hatred of bioware makes it so you couldn't see the truth if it jumped out in front of you and said hello

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
I'm not sure how content completed before release does not count as content completed before release...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
OrdinaryGuy said:
scorptatious said:
Zeel said:

Baaah Baaah
The collector's edition is $80 on Origin. Eighty fucking dollars. Which means the only way to get "the full experience" on day one is to shell out $20 extra for content that was purposely withheld from the player. It's unacceptable no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
The article clearly said that creation of the dlc started right after the main game was complete. It is not part of the main game. You will not miss out on the "full experience" just because you didn't pay for an optional part of the game.