BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bey935uh0OM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2ac1603FUAAAAAAAAAA

And total biscuit goes over it again.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
James Raynor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bey935uh0OM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2ac1603FUAAAAAAAAAA

Why do people listen to this madman again? He claims bioware is MAKING people pirate the game? seriously?

Lets see he also ignores that Zaheed was part of "project 10 dollar" and ME3's project 10 dollar is now the multiplayer

And he ignored the entire point of shale being free becuase she was suppoed to be in the base game from the beginning but had to be cut for time reasons.

He is such a terrible liar, and manipulator of facts for his own agenda.

TB is everything wrong with gaming nowadays.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
James Raynor said:

Why do people listen to this madman again? He claims bioware is MAKING people pirate the game? seriously?

Lets see he also ignores that Zaheed was part of "project 10 dollar" and ME3's project 10 dollar is now the multiplayer

And he ignored the entire point of shale being free becuase she was suppoed to be in the base game from the beginning but had to be cut for time reasons.

He is such a terrible liar, and manipulator of facts for his own agenda.

TB is everything wrong with gaming nowadays.

Why have you made so many edits to this one post? Are you just watching like 2 minutes at a time or something?

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
I am a frequent editor of my posts because I never feel good with the wording of them.
Well it seems you missed several parts of the video. He said he doesn't think piracy is a valid form of protest. He says that Zaheed and Shale were Project Ten Dollar and that was fine, but that the prothean is not project ten dollar. Also what agenda? And have you watched any of his other videos? He's hardly a 'mad man'.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I never said he did think piracy was ok, so I don't know where you pulled that from.

Beyond that
1. Shale was not part of project 10 dollar
2. Neither was Zheed
Shale was released for free because she was supposed to be in the game, and the Cerberus Network was project 10 dollars.

Beyond that he blatantly ignored the fact that ME3's multiplayer is that games "project 10 dollar" content as an excuse to pull the "WHY ISN'T THE PROTHEAN RELEASED FOR FREE WHAAAAAA" argument.

He has a very clear "every game company is part of a conspiracy that's deliberately attempting to rip critical content out of games to charge us for it" agenda.

and yes I have watched his other videos, he is whiny, entitled, makes up elaborate conspiracies in attemtps to vilify game companies etc. etc.

He is evverything wrong with gaming incarnate.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
I never said he did think piracy was ok, so I don't know where you pulled that from.

Beyond that
1. Shale was not part of project 10 dollar
2. Neither was Zheed
Shale was released for free because she was supposed to be in the game, and the Cerberus Network was project 10 dollars.

Beyond that he blatantly ignored the fact that ME3's multiplayer is that games "project 10 dollar" content as an excuse to pull the "WHY ISN'T THE PROTHEAN RELEASED FOR FREE WHAAAAAA" argument.

He has a very clear "every game company is part of a conspiracy that's deliberately attempting to rip critical content out of games to charge us for it" agenda.

and yes I have watched his other videos, he is whiny, entitled, makes up elaborate conspiracies in attemtps to vilify game companies etc. etc.

He is evverything wrong with gaming incarnate.

You don't understand what Project Ten Dollar is, let me educate you.

The idea is to include a coupon or redeemable code with every new game which gives the buyer another chunk of content. Without that code, second-hand buyers will have to spend $10 to obtain the missing extras.
That's exactly what Shale and Zaheed are.

Also, do you need to pretend like people are acting whiny in order to make your arguments appear more valid? He brings up an issue, the Prothean was in the game since June and therefore Bioware lied about it being a recent addition. There's no reason why it shouldn't be included in the base game.

You think he hates game companies? Good god you don't know two things about him yet you're judging his integrity based on his disapproval of a shady and potentially exploitative business strategy.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
ugh....................

Zaheed was obtainable from Cerberus Network, the Cerberus Network was something you got for free from buying the game new, people who bought the game used have to pay for the Network, you DO NOT GET ZAHEED from buying the game new, YOU GET THE CERBERUS NETWORK, which gives you Zaheed.

Zaheed =/= "project 10 dollar", The Cerberus Network = "project 10 dollar", the fact you get Zaheed from the Cerberus Network =/= that Zaheed himself is "project 10 dollar".

Secondly as I said before Shale was given away for free because she was meant to be in the game. Warden's Keep however was "project 10 dollar", as it was not intended to be in the game from the beginning.

Thirdly ME3 has a online pass system, you get the online pass for free buy buying the game new, if you get the game used you have to pay 10 dollars for it, is ME3's "project 10 dollar".

please learn wtf you are talking about before you talk about it.

Also I never said he hates game companies, don't lie, its rude. I said he makes up conspiracy theories about their practices. large difference.

Also his issue is moot because it is based mostly on wrong information.

And finally the Prothean mentioned in the script is a VI, which is still in the game, so no the Prothean squadmate was not mentioned in June.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
ugh....................

Zaheed was obtainable from Cerberus Network, the Cerberus Network was something you got for free from buying the game new, people who bought the game used have to pay for the Network, you DO NOT GET ZAHEED from buying the game new, YOU GET THE CERBERUS NETWORK, which gives you Zaheed.

Zaheed =/= project 10 dollar, The Cerberus Network = "project 10 dollar", the fact you get Zaheed from the Cerberus Network =/= that Zaheed himself is "project 10 dollar".

Secondly as I said before Shale was given away for free because she was meant to be in the game. Warden's Keep however was project 10 dollar, as it was not intended to be in the game from the beginning.

Thirdly ME3 has a online pass system, this online pass which you get for free buy buying the game new, if you get it used you have to pay 10 dollars for it, is ME3's "project 10 dollar".

please learn wtf you are talking about before you talk about it.

Also I never said he hates game companies, don't lie, its rude. I said he makes up conspiracy theories about their practices. Large difference.
Zaheed is indeed part of project ten dollar, as the entire network is part of it.

The prothean was meant to be part of the game. It was in since June of last year.

SajuukKhar said:
ugh....................please learn wtf you are talking about before you talk about it.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That's online multiplayer I know. However, this is not project ten dollar but day 1 DLC, how is this ethical and how do you justify it?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
As I pointed out in my post above, but you seemingly edited out or chose to ignore, the prothean mentioned in the script is a VI that is still in the game.

Also the fact that you get something(Zaheed) from something else(Cerberus Network) which happens to be part of a group(Project 10 dollar) doesn't make the thing you received part of the group also.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
To me this is not an issue about ethics, it is just that, as a consumer, I take offense when someone tries to milk my money after a certain point (the proverbial and subjective line in the sand).

EA: Dear costumer, are you willing to pay more to have additional content on the release day of our game?
ME: No - and I actually do not like that you are trying to sell me content on Day1, I prefer your old model in which you gave content for free with each new game.
EA: What you are going to do about it?
ME: I won't buy your game this time and see what happens. Meanwhile, I will chat with Bethesda and CD Projekt.
EA: But they just want to f***k you, just like me.
ME: I know, but they kiss.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The thing is though, they DID give free content in this game.

Its called the free 10 dollar online pass.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
I'll say it again, as I did, I don't know, yesterday let's say. An Online Pass, does not equal free characters, not by a long shot. An Online Pass is access to an entire mode, an entire mode that you can not play without that code. The lack of a character does not stop you from playing the single player campaign, so even if you buy a game used that has free characters in the single player portion, that's all you miss out on, you can still play said campaign. While if you buy a game used, that has a multiplayer portion blocked by an Online Pass, you aren't just losing a character, you're losing access to that entire portion of the game. I'm not saying I have anything against Online Passes specifically, as that's a whole 'nother issue I don't even want to get into. Point being, as I already said, a Free Character, completely unessential to the mode it's attached to, does not equal a code COMPLETELY essential to the mode it's attached to.

EDIT: To add more emphasize, saying the Online Pass is a free gift, is like saying Battlefield 3's Online Pass was a free gift, while it blocked the only mode worth buying that game for. It is absolutely no different. If you buy a game new that has a multiplayer portion blocked by a code, the inclusion of said code is a REQUIREMENT. It is not a gift, it is expected.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
...What? I seriously just have to sigh at this. Did you not even read my post? Or is that just the best you could come up with? Since I kind of have to guess at what you're even saying, I'm going to guess, you're saying that just because they're priced the same, both products have the same value. Am I right? Because if I am, even you must know how bullshit that statement is, as even LITTLE KIDS know that just because two items are priced the same, they definitely don't have to have the same intrinsic value. I'm almost tempted not to say anything because of little your post even says in return.

This is common sense. I at least gave you credit when you had a point, the least you can do is give me the same courtesy. I'm definitely going to say, that since that's all you had to reply with, that I at least made some sort of point you couldn't entirely refute.

I'm sorry, but arguing with you is start to remind me of arguing with the worst Bioware fanboy I personally know far too much, so I think I'm done. You can have your DLC and I'll keep supporting the countless other developers that could actually use my support and give me FAR more product for my money. Since I don't know about you, but I know I can't afford both and they certainly deserve it far more. But wait, that's just my opinion! Because true "value" is determined by the individual, not the guy putting the sticker price on. ...For fuck's sake.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
CriticKitten said:
James Raynor said:
That's online multiplayer I know. However, this is not project ten dollar but day 1 DLC, how is this ethical and how do you justify it?
Alright, I'll bite.

Explain to me why Day 1 DLC is unethical.

Please, do explain to me how the decision to release additional, entirely optional in-game content under a separate price tag has anything to do with morality and ethics.

I'm rather curious how the decision to try to make more money by offering players a chance to purchase optional game enhancements is inherently evil. This should be most enlightening.

Because it was taken out of the game to be sold back to you at an additional fee. That's the unethical part. This isn't DLC that came after the game is released which I can understand, this is BEFORE the game is released and was taken out of the full game so they could charge you extra. Making money by exploiting your fans is bad business, this isn't cosmetic stuff this is an entire character with an important backstory that they're chopping off so they can make a quick buck.

I mean for example what if LEGION was made so you had to pay 10$ to unlock him and his entire plotline with the two geth factions?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
@Syphith
You do know value is itself a completely imaginary concept that exists only in the minds of each individual and thus valve is determined by each individual's perception of it?

Also since Value is an opinion, and no one persons opinion is greater then another's, the simple fact that EA says they are equal makes them so and the simple fact someone says they aren't makes them equally so.

A 10 dollar online pass = a 10 dollar squadmate DLC
A 10 dollar online pass = a 80 dollar game
A 10 dollar online pass = one potato chip

Etc. etc., and everything in-between, so long as someone believes it.

@James Raynor
Except it wasn't taken out of the game to sell to you.

try again.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
@James Raynor
Except it wasn't taken out of the game to sell to you.

try again.

What bioware said doesn't match up to what was leaked in game. Why do you assume that bioware isn't trying to rip you off exactly?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
James Raynor said:
What bioware said doesn't match up to what was leaked in game. Why do you assume that bioware isn't trying to rip you off exactly?
Fun Fact: The people who got one of the space copies of ME3 confirmed that the so called Prothean is a VI, and it tells you the exact same things it did in the script, the Prothean mentioned in the leaked script WAS A VI, and THAT VI IS STILL IN THE GAME.

Like I said before
Try
Again