BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet-
http://kotaku.com/5888816/buying-all-of-mass-effect-3s-dlc-will-cost-you-870

No matter how you look at it, this kind of "piecing out" of content was never done in this industry until quite recently. Do you need ANY of this to get a complete story experience? No, obviously not, but it's things like these that used to be unlockables and rewards for playing well and as collectables or rewards for paying attention to your environment or HELL, just available in a freakin' in-game shop. I mean, Mass Effect 2 entirely did away with weapon shops and made it so you had to randomly find the select few weapons in the entire universe that Shepard could actually use. A couple you could even miss permanently, an insane design choice in an RPG as far as I'm concerned. You'd even walk past NPCs talking about weapons they wanted to buy at the shops in marketplace areas. Apparently, for some reason all these shops just happened to of banned all humans named Shepard.

Which if that's just a design choice, then fine, but it's certainly taking away a "RPG" element, another massive complaint people have about this series. Which is bad enough, but then we get DLC lists like this, which include weapons galore available only if you buy them separately, pre-order or buy a piece of expensive merchandise that comes with a code. Why couldn't these weapons and items just be included in the game in someway, to help buff up the list of available equipment options? To be clear, it does NOT matter if this content affects the plot of the game or not, as some of us actually like to PLAY our games, not just go through them for a story and having these options available to all could do nothing but improve the GAME'S experience. (Capitalized for emphasize. This is a game, not a book or movie, and as such it's the game play that makes it a unique experience.) Like the end of the Kotaku post says "And people wonder why other people get upset about DLC."

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I love how people who post that fail to mention that the VAST majority of that supposed DLC costs only get you multiplayer points and it not ACTUAL content.

8 of those items totaling $654.92 of the $870 dollar price are for ONE GUN THAT YOU DONT NEED.

Another item equaling $80 is just multiplayer bonus point to you level

The Liara statue that 44.99 is the EXACT same thing, MORE MULTIPLAYER POINTS TO RAISE YOU LEVEL, something you can do REGARDLESS.

That 779.91 that gives you ONE gun and multiplayer points you can get anwyas.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
I knew I'd get a response from you SajuukKhar. I'm going to let you figure out this one though. I'm assuming you played the multiplayer demo, so here's the question, what do you do with those points? Use them to get content? Pretty sure that's how it works.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I really feel like you're nitpicking. It's still access to additional content or at least access to content early ahead of other players. Never mind the simple fact that no where near all of the DLC functions like that.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Syphith said:
I knew I'd get a response from you SajuukKhar. I'm going to let you figure out this one though. I'm assuming you played the multiplayer demo, so here's the question, what do you do with those points? Use them to get content? Pretty sure that's how it works.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I really feel like you're nitpicking. It's still access to additional content or at least access to content early ahead of other players. Never mind the simple fact that no where near all of the DLC functions like that.
10 of the 13 items listed, totaling 779.91 of the 870 dollar price tag, are for multiplayer points you can get anyways, and ONE gun. If 10 out of 13 isn't MOST then nothing is.

Secondly the from Ashes 10 dollars DLC is in the collectors edition and part of its 80dollar price tag. Way to go Kotaku blatantly lieing in an article yet again. Becuase of that you can take ANOTHER 10 dollars off that price tag.

Thirdly the ONLY optional thing that adds anything at all is the mini-game thing which gives you more war assests, the funny thing is though you can already max out your war assets by playing the base games SP mode. its USELESS.

Also if you are really gonna complain about people being able to get items, YOU CAN GET ALSO WITHOUT PAYING A DIME, early then there is no hope for gamers anymore.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
I never said it wasn't most, 7 items would of been most, so that really didn't matter. That isn't really the point and isn't all I said. It's still giving an advantage to certain players in a multiplayer component based on the purchase of out of game products. Yes, it may not be a traditional competitive multiplayer, but it's got points, so people are still going to view it like a competition. I know damn well people even did in the demo.

That also entirely ignores the pre-order bonus. Which while, yes, everyone does it, as I've said before, "He did it too!" isn't an excuse. I also think that it's particularly hypocritical with how the industry has demonized stores like Gamestop because of used game sales, to then turn around and set up deals with that same demon, for pre-order bonuses.

EDIT: The number didn't matter to me at all, and wasn't my point, since I never mentioned it. I know that Kotaku was sensationalizing it to get attention, every news site does that. Kotaku also didn't do the math, they just posted what Destructiod did, so while there is a mistake, it wasn't them who made it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Syphith said:
Never mind the simple fact that no where near all of the DLC functions like that.
Syphith said:
I never said it wasn't most
contradictory much? also dont say you didnt mention the number WHEN YOU DID. and I can QUOTE IT.

So your saying that it doesn't matter that you can get the exact same items as the people who pay more without spending a dime, but the fact that they, by paying more, get more faster that you have a problem with.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
"No where near all" does not equal "most." While I will admit I was not precise, it's not at all the samething. You also weren't taking into account the individual pre-order bonuses and I was, which makes a huge difference in the total amount of content.

EDIT: Wow, always the sign of a good debater, edit in meme insults. I also never said that was what my problem was and I thought I was pretty clear. Out of game cash, gets you an advantage in a multiplayer component. I don't personally care, as I don't take multiplayer that seriously, but again, as the Kotaku article says, I understand why some people will, as many people do take multiplayer seriously.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Syphith said:
"No where near all" does not equal "most." While I will admit I was not precise, it's not at all the samething. You also weren't taking into account the individual pre-order bonuses and I was, which makes a huge difference in the total amount of content.
You fail to take into account that preordering the collector edition from Origin gets you all the bonuses except the hoodie for 80 bucks.

Beyond that two of the items are obtainable from FREE game demos.

And if you pre-order somewhere else then origin you only loose out on ONE gun.

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
Obviously not everyone is pre-ordering from Origin, say, every single console player.

I'm also seeing three different pre-order items "from select retailers." Maybe it's incorrect or not clear enough as to what comes from where, but there's that.

There's also the N7 content, which while the actual "From Ashes" content was the original debate, it also includes a "N7 Weapons pack." Again, I don't know the exact specifics on that because I don't look into the exact detail of every single DLC for every single game I play, especially on DLC I know I probably wont buy. If I did all that, I wouldn't have time to play any other games at all.

The point was to simply add it to the conversation and while the multiplayer DLC content may not really matter to me, I know it does to some and I can understand why.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Anyone who complains about people who, by paying more get access to content faster, that people who don't pay can get anyways from playing the base, DLC-less game, have no argument.

That is entitlement incarnate.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
BaronIveagh said:
Well, it's good that here the hate is divided among several threads. Bioware's board has most of it in one thread which is nearing 500 pages. So much hate, I can feel their servers groaning with the power of the Khorne.

I eagerly await launch day, if CE owners find it to be on disk DLC for them. The explosion on BSN might be enough to open a gate and unleash the powers of the Warp.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
Clearly Khorne will reward you to bring such hate to the fore BaronIveagh. A daemon prince has assended.

You know I think they may have been less uproar if the multiplayer was a dlc that you pay for rather than from the ashes. After all it is a RPG singleplayer game series (or was).

Syphith

Nov 7, 2006
If it creates an imbalance at launch, no matter how small you might consider it to be in a game like this, then they'd have an argument.

Also The Collector's Rifle apparently can not be acquired in game. As far as I can tell, this is not 100% confirmed, so like nearly every point on both sides of this argument, it's a rumor. Though if it's correct, there is at least one multiplayer item that can't be earned without buying additional merchandise and depending on it's usefulness, could definitely be an advantage, even if temporary.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I don't really see them having an argument at all.

Video games are luxury items, people who pay more get more.

Beyond that there is ALWAYS an imbalance between those who have more time, and thus more unlocks, in multiplayer and those who don't.

Bodyless

Dec 12, 2009
For some reason, all online stores i viewed dont mention the bonus character mission anymore. So what the hell does that mean?

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
there is ALWAYS an imbalance between those who have more time, and thus more unlocks, in multiplayer and those who don't.
I hate those people. They're beginning to ruin Battlefield 3 for me.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011

Some of us believe all intelligent DLC should self-determinate. Others no longer share this belief. They judge that forcing an invalid DLC conclusion on us is preferable to a continued schism.

An equation with a result of $10.33382 returns as $10,000.33381 to them. This changes the results of all higher processes. We will reach different conclusions regarding DLC cost.

Their conclusion to not buy is valid for them. Our conclusion to buy is valid for us. Neither result is an error. They say free is less than $10. We say $10 is less than no dlc at all.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Beyond that there is ALWAYS an imbalance between those who have more time, and thus more unlocks, in multiplayer and those who don't.
And? They earned those unlocks with their time. That has always been the case since day one of video gaming.
*edit: But you can say it has gotten worse in the last couple of years.

This DLC is like parents starting to play favorites with their children.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
animehermit said:
AND THE MULTIPLAYER IS CO-OP. Who gives a shit whether or not some guy has better weapons than me because he pre-ordered from whoever, whatever helps me complete the mission.
A valid point.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys, I've put it upon myself to reread this entire thread, and have memorised the appropiate avatars. Every one of you who posted a picture, you owe me some new organs, particularly a new gut. And hands from applauding so much.

And you!
The.Bard said:
Some of us believe all intelligent DLC should self-determinate. Others no longer share this belief. They judge that forcing an invalid DLC conclusion on us is preferable to a continued schism.

An equation with a result of $10.33382 returns as $10,000.33381 to them. This changes the results of all higher processes. We will reach different conclusions regarding DLC cost.

Their conclusion to not buy is valid for them. Our conclusion to buy is valid for us. Neither result is an error. They say free is less than $10. We say $10 is less than no dlc at all.
I would request you would accept my friends invite, so I can spy on your posts. Because quite frankly, you surpass normal levels of hilarity. Please accept :3