BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

BioWare says the From Ashes launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 couldn't be included with the game because work on it didn't begin until the upcoming sci-fi epic was complete.

Gamers reacted to the unexpected and unintentional reveal [www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115967-Mass-Effect-3-DLC-Appears-on-Xbox-Live] of From Ashes, the launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 that turned up on Xbox Live yesterday, about as you'd expect: they got mad. Why, they demanded, was this bit of content, which was obviously ready in time for the game's release, not included with the game - particularly since Collector's Edition buyers will get it free, but those who opt for the standard release will have to pony up 800 Microsoft points, or about ten bucks, for the privilege.

It's a pretty common question in this era of day-one DLC and BioWare is doing its best to answer it fully. First up is Mass Effect Producer Michael Gamble, who took to the forums to explain what the DLC is all about. And there are spoilers! Small ones, but consider yourself warned regardless.

From Ashes will include a Prothean squad mate, a trip to Eden Prime, a new weapon and an alternate appearance for everyone on the team, above and beyond the alternate appearances already included with the CE. "The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details," Gamble wrote [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9403705/1]. "The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete - and a huge game - right out of the box."

He also noted that development on From Ashes did not begin "until well after the main game went into certification," a point Executive Producer Casey Hudson expanded on through Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson].

"It takes about 3 months from 'content complete' to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC," he wrote. "DLC has fast cert and no mfg., so if a team works very hard, they can get a DLC done in time to enjoy it with your 1st playthrough on day 1. On #ME3, content creators completed the game in January & moved onto the 'From Ashes' DLC, free w/ the CE or you can buy seperately."

The truth is that this probably won't do much to calm the rage but for people genuinely curious about why launch-day DLC isn't in the box, there you have it. Unfortunately, if you haven't already laid down your money for the CE, you might be stuck: Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Playstation/dp/B0050SY06W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330025508&sr=8-3] is reporting that due to high demand [and possibly the imminent Reaper invasion], its allocation of CEs across all platforms is sold out.

Mass Effect 3, and the From Ashes DLC, will be out on March 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Sounds reasonable to me. Personally, I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about, especially considering we just got confirmation that the Prothean isn't directly relevant to the story (well, it is to the lore, but not the storyline).

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Hey Bioware?

What about your loyal fans, or anyone else who wanted to wait for the demo of ME3 or previews and therefore can't get a CE? What about them? Now they have to pay for content and get shafted out of other content too.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
So they don't really consider you to be a big enough fan unless you buy the collector's edition? Pretty fucking lame. They could at least do like what most other companies do and give away day-1 DLC to everyone who buys it new.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
See, if they finished the game, then dicked about for a few months taking twice as long to make the DLC, everyone would be gravy with the situation. But because they didn't dick about, they got it finished earlier, and everyone is now like "QQ! SINCE YOU MADE IT FASTER WE ARE NOW ENTITLED TO IT FOR FREE!"

Besides, this was intended from the beginning to be for the Collector's/Digital Deluxe Edition, where people who got either of those would have it, and no-one else would have it. But god forbid they let other people pay for it if they couldn't get the CE in time.

Seriously, this is the ME equivalent of the Exiled Prince - Entirely missable (in b4 "So is the rest of the game hurr hurr") but a nice extra to have.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Doc Theta Sigma said:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.
I have yet to see any proof of this. Until it is proven I will maintain that Bioware is treating is fans like meat.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Fappy said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:

I have yet to see any proof of this. Until it is proven I will maintain that Bioware is treating is fans like meat.
Pretty sure it's been confirmed on the Bioware forums somewhere.

Dec 14, 2009
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
Wanted to use this pic for a while.

Added on content. Not cut content.

Something extra for people who buy the CE and available to buy if you didn't.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
What the fucking-entitlement-FUCK?

I just don't have any words. I expected a much more rational response to this well written and rational news post. Really? "Sheeple"? REALLY?

God dammit.
Zeel said:
Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
No independent thought? Jesus fucking shit Christ of helldamnfuck. I'd say that not even reading the post and just mindlessly going with the crowd means not having independent thought. You seem to believe it means doing research, listening to the opinions of others, and then forming your own opinion, whichever it may end up being.

You'll probably react with a knee jerk and call me a brainwashed consumerist pig for daring to write this post, because you will have failed to notice that I haven't even yet given my opinion on this Day One DLC business for ME3.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

The fact that the word sheeple has been thrown out non-ironically just made this more hilarious :D

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Doc Theta Sigma said:

Shit are you serious, where did you find that out?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
OOOh bad wording there buddy. saying only loyal fans buy the CE....not good move.

if the prothean is in the regular game, and the only thing the DLC does is him being able to be a part of your squad and some NormandyCrashSite-esque visit to Eden Prime, then im ok. if he is not in the regular game at all, and the CE people get a fully functional prothean, with DIALOGUE, insightful interaction and a HUGE point to the Mass Effect experience, then people are right to be mad.

Dec 14, 2009
Richardplex said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:

The fact that the word sheeple has been thrown out non-ironically just made this more hilarious :D
Can't talk now, hiding from sheeple.

I can hear them...

[sub][sub]Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...[/sub][/sub]

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Wait, I want to get things straight, here: If you get the ME 3 Collector's Edition, you get the DLC for free. Does that mean the DLC is included on the disc? Or is it just free to purchase online?

If it's on disc, then if you had time to put it in the CE then why didn't you have time to put it in the regular game? Doesn't the CE take more time to make than the regular?

If it's just free online purchase: Well, I guess that makes some sense. Still, I'm not too happy about it. You'd think that this character, who had all of this mystery and lore surrounding his people, would be much more important to the story. I keep hearing that he'll still be in the story, even without the DLC, and that he's just not a squad member. That I'm okay with, and I sure as hell hope it's true.