BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
EA have realised that there powerhouse status on gaming is coming to an end, and they are milking every fan for every penny they can. For too long EA have had shoddy business practices and used popular titles(FIFA, Madden etc.) to screw people out of their hard-earned money. They are also the biggest endorser of, ''Used game are evilllllllllll'' mentality. They are soulless, unethical and downright greedy.

Just to remind people, EA also supported SOPA, so just think about that for a second.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Zeel's fervor over this has affected the mind of at least one consumer; I now want to buy the game and the DLC. Make of that what you will.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Still getting the game i'll just buy the DLC extra with the standard edition which will still save me £20 on the CE (retailing at £69.99). I should say i have played the rest of the series with all expanded DLC and got each game on release day.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Zeel said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Zeel said:
Agente L said:
What's up with the use of "gamer entitlement" at every bioware thread now?

Everyone that disagree with the way bioware does business now are angry gamers with "gamer entitlement? Is that a new buzzword or what?
Yes. That and "Bioware is telling the truth". I'd sooner bite off my thumb than believe a word that comes out of the Bioware's PR team. Their entire job is lie to the consumer.
AND HERE IS ZEEL. ALL BOW BEFORE YOUR NEW OVERLORD AND BASK IN HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS. ALL HAIL ZEEL. ALL HAIL ZEEL.

But seriously, nobody is going to boycott this thing. Boycotts for video games have NEVER worked. People will ***** and moan, then go buy the game and forget why they bitched and moaned in the first place.
Dead Space 2
and
Battlefield 3

It worked on both those EA game titles. Stop trying to derail the issue.

It's wrong no matter how much they sell.
However you're acting like Bioware walked into your house on christmas morning, proceeded to steal every worldly possession you have and then slap you in the face for good measure. The characer is included in the game. The squadmate is not.

You see the difference? You're not losing anything. You're just whining like a child because you don't want to pay for extra content.
There is no Dana only Zeel! TBH I believe they developed it after, if this is true I doubt it fucks up the main game at all. It'd also fit with the idea they developed him as a squadmate but was there as a character anyway : P

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
poiuppx said:
Zeel's fervor over this has affected the mind of at least one consumer; I now want to buy the game and the DLC. Make of that what you will.
Good riddance
Luckily I don't have to skip on it in my "zeal". I'll just get the same thing as you, for free, with no DRM, no Origin, all DLC included. Feel free to part with your money.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The DLC IS NOT CUT CONTENT nor IS THE CHARACTER REQUIRED TO GET THE FULL EXPERIANCE
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/q2sl2/i_am_jessica_merizan_community_manager_for/?sort=hot

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there and I wish the guy who made the initial video about it would have had an open mind before jumping to conclusions based on a leak we weren't ready to address. Since I'm a BioWare employee, I know people won't automatically trust me, but I hope people will consider that it wasn't cut content from the larger game. I was in Edmonton when we were finishing the game in November/December and I was in Edmonton again last month when they were working on the Day 1 DLC. It definitely was only possible to do because the main game was in certification (which means we had to wait for people to test it and make sure everything was good etc before we could get the greenlight to sell it). I also played the game WITHOUT the DLC in my first playthrough and honestly, it's an awesome addition but I was more than happy with what I was given in the game. It's bigger and more expansive than ever. Of course, I understand the concern but I hope we can all have an intelligent conversation about it and cover what the facts are in this situation.

Hope that helps a little bit. This is an awkward format to answer this question, but I know I could explain it if you were sitting next to me on a couch with some coffee/tea ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you understand that I'm in a position where to reassure you, it would require me to reveal story spoilers, something that I don't think is acceptable.

Personally, I began my career as an archaeologist (for serious!) and the events surrounding this new character speak to me. However, if it wasn't DLC, it definitely wouldn't have been in the main game. There's other things that didn't fit in the main game that may end up as future DLC.

Again, I think this is a cool edition and definitely intended as a reward for serious fans (many of whom have purchased the collector's edition so this isn't even an issue for them). However, I have played the game without it and the lore surrounding the DLC is in the game already, this character just gives their own take on it.

Was that any less vague or helpful to anyone? :p

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The DLC IS NOT CUT CONTENT nor IS THE CHARACTER REQUIRED TO GET THE FULL EXPERIANCE
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/q2sl2/i_am_jessica_merizan_community_manager_for/?sort=hot

[?]jessicamerizan 216 points 6 hours ago
I think there's a lot of misinformation out there and I wish the guy who made the initial video about it would have had an open mind before jumping to conclusions based on a leak we weren't ready to address. Since I'm a BioWare employee, I know people won't automatically trust me, but I hope people will consider that it wasn't cut content from the larger game. I was in Edmonton when we were finishing the game in November/December and I was in Edmonton again last month when they were working on the Day 1 DLC. It definitely was only possible to do because the main game was in certification (which means we had to wait for people to test it and make sure everything was good etc before we could get the greenlight to sell it). I also played the game WITHOUT the DLC in my first playthrough and honestly, it's an awesome addition but I was more than happy with what I was given in the game. It's bigger and more expansive than ever. Of course, I understand the concern but I hope we can all have an intelligent conversation about it and cover what the facts are in this situation.

Hope that helps a little bit. This is an awkward format to answer this question, but I know I could explain it if you were sitting next to me on a couch with some coffee/tea ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[?]jessicamerizan 29 points 2 hours ago
I hope you understand that I'm in a position where to reassure you, it would require me to reveal story spoilers, something that I don't think is acceptable.

Personally, I began my career as an archaeologist (for serious!) and the events surrounding this new character speak to me. However, if it wasn't DLC, it definitely wouldn't have been in the main game. There's other things that didn't fit in the main game that may end up as future DLC.

Again, I think this is a cool edition and definitely intended as a reward for serious fans (many of whom have purchased the collector's edition so this isn't even an issue for them). However, I have played the game without it and the lore surrounding the DLC is in the game already, this character just gives their own take on it.

Was that any less vague or helpful to anyone? :p

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.
So they removed the whole point of having him in the game at all just to make a few extra bucks on opening day? This revelation was supposed to dampen my outrage HOW?
Everyone who isn't complaining on general principles is complaining because the Prothean is (presumably) important to the lore. Whether or not he is a squadmate seems irrelevant to that argument when you get the lore from him regardless.
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.
So they removed the whole point of having him in the game at all just to make a few extra bucks on opening day? This revelation WAs supposed to dampen my outrage HOW?
Because having him as a squad mate more than likely makes sod all impact. Akin to having Zaeed or Kasumi in your squad in ME2. People are confusing the character with the squad mate.
Can we see some offical fucking info or something. The prothean squadmate is relevant in the leaks. Now you're claiming two things;
1. Either the leak was changed so the prothean ISNT relevant
or
2. THe prothean is relevant but his squadplayability isn't.

I want to see some confirmation on either point.

1 is still bad though, but one step at a time.

Cause I cant possibily imagine how A PROTHEAN the basis for the ENTIRE FIRST GAME (AND SECOND) can have quests that have no impact on the story. confirmation now. some PR sod going off about how 'optional' it is. isn't confirmation.
Don't you think you may be overstating the importance of the Protheans just a tad?

Also:

The prothean character is relevant in the leaks.

Fixed that for you.
I asked you both two things to show me

Is The prothean relevant or not? If not, I want to see something a little more offical than "EA wouldn't do that" (because we know they would)
Is the Prothean relevant to Mass Effect 3? Yes I would imagine so.

Please, continue.
And confirmation that we get all the content/dialogue related to the prothean that is relevant?

If you're talking about the information presented in the leak that's been mentioned I couldn't say. Haven't seen the leak.
We are back at square one then. Aren't we? This dlc is the epitome of how greedy EA games has become.

Edit. How greedy EA games IS.
But the Prothean is in the game regardless or whether or not you buy the DLC. Same as how Liara was in ME2 but wasn't playable without the DLC that you had to pay extra for so I just can't see what the big deal is. It's the exact same thing they done in ME2.
Liara and the prothean aren't equatable. time difference of development and all that. THe problem isn't just that it's a DLC, it's how relevant the character is.

Imagine if they did the Liara thing in me2 but at release date. "don't get to play this less you pay for a dlc of content already on the game" now multiply that. prothean lore is much more essential to the series than fucking liara and her shadow broker shenanigans. "OMG FEROS AHHHHH" please.
Zeel said:
To everyone on the opposing side, would it bother you at all if everyone just got the content for the original price? Or the DLC is used to encourage New purchases?
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention
As has been said, he is in the game regardless, the difference is whether or not he is a squadmate. And before you brush that aside because we get that from the leak, I'd like to point out that you also just cited the leak as evidence.
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Seriously, fuck this.

I did not become a gamer so that shit like this could become the industry norm. I remember going out and buying games for my PSX, and getting the complete fucking game.

For anyone not bothered: this is a fucking Prothean. This is a character who is integral to the story and lore of the Mass Effect universe.

Do you honestly, really believe that Bioware only started working on this for the last 3 months? That they finished development on the campaign, then thought to themselves "You know what would be really good to start working on now? Getting a Prothean into the game."

Lore stuff like that isn't (or at least shouldn't) be approached lightly. If Bioware were planning on including a Prothean in the game, you can bet they had that worked out at the earliest stages of development. The very idea that they decided to simply throw in a game-changing bit of lore as a throwaway development idea in the last 3 months is ludicrous. It would be like Valve deciding to develop a bit of DLC explaining the G-Man's origins as a bit of Day 1 DLC for Half Life 3.

This shit should't fly! The number of people willing to bend themselves over and get shafted in the arse simply because it's Mass Effect/Bioware is staggering. People like you are what's ruining gaming for the rest of us. The publishers are looking for every excuse to nickel and dime us to death, and you're willingly allowing them to do it to you. Have some common damn self-respect. You don't need this game. If Bioware have decided to shake you down for your money, don't take it smiling. Stand up for yourself. Tell them that this won't stand. And if it means you have to pass up on ME3, then fair enough. By the sounds of it, passing up on this game will end up saving you a lot of money.

The minute you let publishers get away with this sort of crap, you give them carte blanche to do it again and again. If we allow EA to get away with nickel-and-diming the story and lore of Mass Effect, they'll think they can get away with it in all their other games too. I do not want to be part of an industry where every game requires endless extra payments to unlock the full game. If your parents buy all your games for you then perhaps I can see why you'd be ignorant of the repercussions of such design choices, but speaking as someone working only a little above minimum wage, I simply do not earn enough to be able to buy all the downloadable extras and hacked up chunks of story that developers seem intent on throwing out now. I should not be forced to miss out on key story and game content, simply because I was unable to pay the extra £10-20 that some other, wealthier people were. It creates an industry which inherently favours those with more disposable income, and I don't like the idea of class-politics becoming a part of gaming.
I would like to point one thing out: according to the leak, the character is in the game regardless. The only difference is that the DLC lets him be a squadmate. You get the lore from him regardless.
To be honest, I like it if he isn't a squadmate. Think about it. This being has been in stasis, sleep, or whatever and you expect me to believe that he will just get up and start shooting like a boss only a few moments after being "thawed out"? Just keep him in the game as a talk-able person like Yeoman Kelly or Joker - I want the story from him, not his assistance in a fight. I have Zaeed and Grunt to kill husks for me.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
In the original post I believe Gamble stated that ~"From Ashes" includes the Prothean squad mate"~ not that his place in the game would be exclusive to Collector editions games just his aid in combat.

So why are people worrying about this so much I wonder? Gamble didn't say they were excluding him completely from the rest of the fans, He's probably still going to be in the game he just won't be shooting a gun for you. It's at the point now I think half the people who moan about Mass Effect are doing it just to conform to the majority instead of any actual concern about what they are raging about.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
cieply said:
Luckily I don't have to skip on it in my "zeal". I'll just get the same thing as you, for free, with no DRM, no Origin, all DLC included. Feel free to part with your money.
I know what you are. A pirate. This is not "I fight against ACTA" thing, this is theft. Thanks for reinforcing the pole = thief stereotype, I'm sure everyone appreciates your input.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
cieply said:
poiuppx said:
Good riddance
Have to admit, your reply confounds me a fair bit. 'Good riddance'? Wasn't aware buying the game was a fatal decision. And thanks for permission to part with my money. Really appreciated.

I'll politely avoid fighting over the fact that you evidently have decided your 'zeal' means you get to steal the game. I mean, screw all the people who worked to make the game, this decision on their part as to what they can or cannot offer for their game means the moral right to theft is in your corner. Points to you, sir.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I am against the day 1 dlc practice, but I do find it a lot harder to argue given the points they made. I'm going to reserve my opinion until after I have the game, play through it, and then play through it with the dlc installed. If it really does add just a couple of skins, and a minimalism character who was there before, I'd be ok with it. If it's that this prothean doesn't appear at all before dlc, and is a pretty important character to the plot (like garrus and tali have always been) then that is pretty despicable. Here's hoping he's just a zaeed.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
poiuppx said:
One might say Zeel was overzeelous.

I'm a terrible person for saying that

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I'll never understand why people get worked up over this stuff.

It's just mass effect, if you don't like what they are doing don't give them your money.

But then I've not really been all that amped for games lately, so when companies pull silly stuff I just shrug.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
cpt blackamar said:
poiuppx said:
One might say Zeel was overzeelous.

I'm a terrible person for saying that
For what it's worth? I laughed.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I havn't finished a single Mass Effect game yet, so I am enjoying this rage with a bowl of popcorns :D

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
FelixG said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention
THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script
The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.
So basically you have no idea how the prothean interacts in the game. The only thing we know (and not absolutely) is that The prothean squadmate was an idea from early november. That was removed because they wanted to squeeze more money out of guillable fans.

I've asked time and time again for confirmation on relevant dialogue and no one has given me evidence. If you are willing to shout "OMG PROTHEAN STILL IN DA GAME" I WANT TO SEE PROOF OF THAT.
Or shall I put it like this

SHOW
ME
THE
EVIDENCE
I would like to see your evidence that the content was cut out of the game instead of developed after like they said?

If you have no hard evidence you are just a liar and QQing for the sake of making a stink, as from what I can tell your entire argument is based around "WAHHHH I HATE BIOWARE SO THEY MUST BE EVIL AND STEALIN OUR CONTENT!"
To be fair though, I don't exactly have any evidence regarding what I say either. I'm just operating under the assumption that they're not gonna work on the game including the Prothean as long as they did only to remove it from the main game this close to launch.