BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
1. Leaked info confirmed to be old and outdated
2. Prothean's status as important is unknown.
3. DLC suggests ONLY that it makes his recruitable + possible loyalty mission.
4. Economically justified tactic used by Bioware, DLC made AFTER main game is done not part of base games budget
5. Extra content not important to the story is meaingless and shouldnt be a redflag.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
animehermit said:
Zeel said:
JamesStone said:
Zeel said:
SajuukKhar said:
And again the Prothean AS A CHARACTER was in development in Nov/Dec, the Prothean AS A SQUADMATE was not until after the game was done. Fact.

The Porhtean isn't important to the story, he only provides his own viewpoint on things already happening. Fact.

The Porthean is not needed to get the full story. Fact

see I can do it to.
Excuse me?
In the god damn leaks the Prothean is important. Are you telling me its not important anymore? If so, what lead you to that conclusions.

Second: How important it is is somewhat irrelevant. This is content that builds lore and helps further the story. To remove it from the game and charge more for it is taking advantage of the customers. Everyone plays the mass effect series for the story and characters. To remove a CHARACTER that adds a story is a dick move. Why do you support it.?
No no no, he's telling you that the Prothean, as a squadmate isn't important. The actual character, the one you get anyway from the un-DLC'd game, IS in fact important. The fact that he is a squadmate is only a little extra.

And if you are wondering why I'm quoting you so much lately, it's because it's kinda fun seeing you explode in rage every time someone tries to tell you something outside of your preconcived ideias. Such a disgrace for such a smart man (see if you can get that reference).
Do you know if he's still in the game or not. Stop claiming this if you have NO EVIDENCE.
You have no evidence of anything. Pot meet kettle.
Bullshit.
Prothean in leaks, evidence of this
prothean in development nov/dece, evidence of this
prothean important to plot, evidence of this

What are you claiming I don't have evidence of?
you may be miss reading something or trying to see a fire where there isn't one

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Starting to think all 405 of his posts are in here.

I'm enjoying this. Both sides have merit, but I'm going to enjoy the game anyway.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Zeel said:
1. "logic trumping conspiracy" you must have a very funny way of viewing logic. It wasn't just mentioned, it was PLA.N.N.E.D. OUT by Nov/Dec. They were mentioning it in the special collectors edition for a while now. people are just starting to clue in. If the fact that it was in the leaks, confirmed by the "collectors editions description" is not "proof" enough for you. Then nothng short of Zeus himself coming down and decreeing it will be enough for you. Evidence is still evidence, regardless of how you want to spin it.

2. Too bad it was already being developed early november not After "content-complete" mode. Sorry, I know you think you have a point here but if it was being planned out from early november. Thats when the development began. Sorry to burst your Bioware loving bubble. So its actually illogicall to assume otherwise when all info points the opposite direction. but please use "logical" one more time.

3. I am saying one of two things-
A. It was part of the original game: good support for this, mentioned in leaks, highly relevant to main plot points and very essential to lore.
B. They PLANNNED to develop it as a DLC instead of as an original game: mentioned in leaks, but they keep saying they only did it during the "gold period"

Both are bad in my humble opinion. A- because its wrong to remove content just to sell more money
and B- because planning out DLC content when the game isn't even finished is higlhy suspect. If they aren't going to work 100% on the original game, i dont see why they deserver 100% of the game price, or 110% like they are claiming.

4. Your "situation" is not very feasible. the brainstorming period is not in nov/dec. That period is the "content=lockdown period. Where nothing gets added. If the prothean was in there by then, it was in there. period. Especially, I mean, its not just a squadmate man, it has alot of relevant plotlines and pretty intergal to th eplot. If they are iffy about adding it, they arent going to slap a bunch of plot points on it.
5. Don't care if you spend money. I care if you defend it.

6. You are going have to read my post and debunk all these points before you can call it "logical" because it doesn't seem logical to me. Plus going out of your way to concuct a 'sitauatin' where they aren't screwing us over doesn't seem very logical to me. What seems more likely? A game company would screw us for profit and lie about it, or a game company will work their bones to dust for a meagre 10 dollar profit?
Here is where I have to demand proof. I've been following this game religiously. NOWHERE have I heard mention of this DLC prior to it being listed at Gamestop less than a month ago. Unless you can provide me with one single shred of evidence to support your claim, everything you said above is conspiracy theory.

Do you have any proof to back yourself up? One link? If you can provide me with proof, then I may stop viewing you like my crazy uncle Larry. (He claimed sheep were trying to break into his house and steal all his whiskey.)

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Zeel said:
Ukomba said:
1. Anyone can make it so ANYTHING IS IRRELEVANT. This is my standard: Does it add to the story, lore and depth of the game? Yes.
It's relevant for that matter. If you disagree, you need to debunk how relevant it is to the story and lore. You can't go "well can you finish the game without it??!?@?!@?" That's changing the issue and then arguing it. Is it Relevant to the story. Answer the god damn question. If you disagree with the entire premise, that lore and story arnt relevant to the game. you need to debunk that. If you do agree its relevant, stop trying these bullshit tactcs about "CAN U FINISH IT". You can finish the game without all the side missions and lore and story. Does that mean everything else is unnecessary and not essential?

-A. False equivalence. Zaeed and Kasumi were some random human characters with little to add to the story. They weren't fucking protheans; with a plethora of knowledge about the reapers, the protheans and their extinction. The difference here is how important the characters are. Do you acknowledge that protheans are important to the overarching story? if So, you can not equate some merc and otaku ***** to the character.
-B. No one would care if the prothean character came free with the purchase of the game, like those two characters. It's almost insulting that EA game removes such lore essential content but if they put it back with a purchase, I wouldn't '*****'.. Not much atleast.

-C. You do realize Shadow Broker and Arrival were essential canon for the series right? Its not necessary to play them, but you kind of need to have played or read something about it to understand what the fuck is happening in Me3. You do not make a point in support of your side by bringing essential DLC's.

Especially since they weren't developed DAY OF but like a fucking year later.

2. This is a ridiculous argument: It's an oppurtunity lost? Are you kidding me, developing content for a game is just PART OF THE DEVELOPMENT CYCLE. Sure I bet they could be doing anything else, but if they are developing a game, trying to make them developing three other things, isn't fucking plausible. Plus not my faucking problem.

3. Where do I begin with this "Coach" and "Basic" is a bad analogy here. those preorder bonuses are like getting a free headset. The quality of the software isn't improved, in except they got an extra headset. With the prothean dlc. Important lore is being taken away from the basic edition. It's like charging someone a planeticket only to be taken half the way and then asked for more midflight. If Bioware is in the rpg gaming business. Lore and story are just part of the things RPG games need. Trying to play on that by taking it out and charging more is sleeazy. These aren't random useless cosemetics that take a week to make. THese are like 1months of character development filled with content necessary to enjoy the story in its fullest. Things like that should not be up for "Bonuses". It's wrong.
b. Nothing wrong with charging more for new content, when the game is released and they develop more content. Charge more for it, it cost them more, so they need a way to pay for it.
When content is developed during the original cycle it doesn't cost them 'more' now does it.

4. The option to charge more for new content is still there. but doing it before the game is released is sleezy. They are playing on your need for "full enjoyment". Shouldn't you get "full enjoyment" from the "full game". Instead of saying "nope, only partial enjoyment, pay more". We have to be reasonable here. There is no reason why you should have to pay more than the full price ON RELEASE day for the full game. Absolutely none.

5. Becoming integral? Aren't we there already? The Prothean DLC is already "necessary" for full enjoyment. Who cares if you can buy more crap without it. If you have to buy it just to enjoy the game fully. We've already been compromised.

- "Does that mean everything else is unnecessary and not essential?" Yes, yes it does. I've played ME1 several times, once skipping all the side missions and it made no difference in ME2 when I imported the game. Much the same will hold true for ME3 simply because it would be far too complicated to account for.
- Zaeed and Kasumi "added to the lore" and so by your standards are relevant.
- Kasumi wasn't free, and this is free with purchase if you got the collectors edition.
- Neither Arrival nor Shadow Broker have been shown to be necessary to understanding ME3. If you have information to the contrary please provide it.
- Don't buy From Ashes for a year and pretend it was just released.

2. I can't discuss this topic with you given you're clear lack of understanding of game development and basic economics. You're casual dismissal of that Chart animehermit posted is evidence you don't care to learn either.

3. "those preorder bonuses are like getting a free headset. The quality of the software isn't improved, in except they got an extra headset." - In Mass Effects' case that is new armor / weapons for pre-order. People pay for weapon and armor packs so it's entirely relevant. If you want that gun (that has game lore behind it) you need to pre-order.

"With the prothean dlc. Important lore is being taken away from the basic edition." - Go read a wiki or a walk through, you don't need to play it. Within a week you could probably watch a lets play on youtube. As you yourself said about shadow broker and Arrival.

"It's like charging someone a planeticket only to be taken half the way and then asked for more midflight." - No, it's like charging you to watch a movie in flight. You will get where you're going either way. The ending of the game will not change.

b. Would it make you happier if they released it in June? Get over it.

4. Sorry, but you get what you pay for. You didn't pay for this, you don't get it. Unless you can find advertisement that says this was going to be in the basic edition then you SOL.

5. A copy of the ME1 and 2 with all the dlc are essential for full enjoyment of ME3 too, does Bioware need to give those out free? You need a good graphics card, monitor, and sound system for full enjoyment of the game, does Bioware have to provide that?

Your arguments essentially boil down to, "Either I get it free, or no one is allowed to have it". You need to get off your entitlement soap box.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Zeel said:
I dont know if I should waste my time arguing with you. your first sentence is "that's racist". Please. spare me..
It was in a way, though. The term is very derogatory in Japan, it's shameful to be called one.

I'm just sayin'.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Zeel said:
Just check the god damn leaks.
NO. the game is a week and a half from release and I'm one of those strange people who doesn't actually want to know everything that's going to happen before i actually get to play it, so no, i will not, as you so adroitly put it, "check the god damn leaks". Moreover, I would love to get a low-stakes betting pool going as to how much of the stuff that was in the leaks gets changed in the released game. I'm gonna go with at least 35%, probably closer to 50.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Zeel said:
I dont know if I should waste my time arguing with you. your first sentence is "that's racist". Please. spare me.

I dont see you presenting any feasible argument: THese characters could be relevant but they aren't! well give the girl a cookie. Thank you for that. if they aren't relevant I don't give a crap. A prothean is relevant to the story because the god damn leaks say as much, and surprise surprise, is a god damn prothean. DO WE REALLY HAVE TO GO DOWN THIS ROAD? MAIN ENEMIES OF ME2, MAIN REASON me1 GETS STARTED OFF? COME ON.

ZAEED AND KASUMI CAN NOT OR WILL EVER COMPARE. stop trying to ship it. You can try and spin this alll you want but it wont compare to a MUDDA SUCKA PROTHEAN.

If you are so for lore exploration, why are you denying the game its Prothean ancestor. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
So.... This whole post is... "THEY'RE NOT IMPORTANT BECAUSE I SAYS SO! AND I'M GONNA BE RACIST SO FUCK OFF!"
You're really running out of ammo, friend.

Also. I'm not denying anything to anybody. I just think you should take some valium. Or perhaps anti-prychotic drugs. Because you're... you know. Batshit crazy.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
The.Bard said:
Ah yes, Zeel's proof. We have dismissed that claim!
Good God.
I'm sending you a friend request, I would very much like you to accept it.
I need this brilliance readily available.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Ukomba said:
2. Because it costs money to create content, might as well ask why all dlc isn't free, or why you don't get the collector edition mechanical dog in the standard edition. While you're at it, complain to airlines that your coach ticket doesn't get you first class seats. e_e
Fair enough on the first point, but it's still part of the game. Some games have more content than others but they're all around the same price. Anyway, $10 is really disproportionate in the context of the rest of the game.
I won't argue that. I guess it would depend on how much man power they had to put into it's development and I don't have that information. Most games now a days seem over priced. On top of that, the addition of Multi-player in ME3 actually forced me to buy 2 copies. Previously my wife and I could share a copy. Still, I'm clearly willing to pay for it so it couldn't be that over priced.