BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Anyone else find it ironic his name is Zeel? One letter away from Zeal, even pronounced the same.

Teehee.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
animehermit said:
Zeel said:
Show me this "confirmation" from the developers.
From Jessica Merizan, Community Manager for Bioware for the Mass Effect series, quote is taken from the recent AMA she did on reddit. I know you're already gonna debunk this by saying she's lying, but it's still more proof than you have.

"I think there's a lot of misinformation out there and I wish the guy who made the initial video about it would have had an open mind before jumping to conclusions based on a leak we weren't ready to address. Since I'm a BioWare employee, I know people won't automatically trust me, but I hope people will consider that it wasn't cut content from the larger game. I was in Edmonton when we were finishing the game in November/December and I was in Edmonton again last month when they were working on the Day 1 DLC. It definitely was only possible to do because the main game was in certification (which means we had to wait for people to test it and make sure everything was good etc before we could get the greenlight to sell it). I also played the game WITHOUT the DLC in my first playthrough and honestly, it's an awesome addition but I was more than happy with what I was given in the game. It's bigger and more expansive than ever. Of course, I understand the concern but I hope we can all have an intelligent conversation about it and cover what the facts are in this situation.
Hope that helps a little bit. This is an awkward format to answer this question, but I know I could explain it if you were sitting next to me on a couch with some coffee/tea ;)"
I asked for evidence not unrelated garbage. I already know Jessica said this, You guys are claiming theres offical confirmation that the prothean character is in the game, withut the DLC. Now i want to see that.
we can't since we like you don't have the bloody game

Dec 14, 2009
The.Bard said:
Ah yes, Zeel's proof. We have dismissed that claim!
You win all the things.

I think we should petition to get this thread stickied. It's a fine example of how not to behave.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
anthony87 said:
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention
THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script
The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.
What about actual confirmation?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
zinho73 said:
You can see it any way you want. It is your money. As a consumer, you can decide if the price asked is fair or not. As I said, it is subjective.

However, a good marketing strategy will almost always convince people that they are getting a bang for their buck.

If I was the one making the decisions at EA (wishful thinking but work with me here :)) I would have included the Prothean as a free bonus for new copies of the game. Yes, it consumed resources to produce, but a promotion like that generates more good will than several adds on magazines (which will probably cost more).

The problem is that something like that would be good on the long run and that's clearly not what EA wants. They want to increase revenue now, getting as much money as possible on the launch. Well, that's also an strategy, but, as we can all see, it has its consequences.
I agree, it would have been better if they had included it with all new copies of ME3, but if the new squadmate turns out to be just as deep as the others (with his own dialogue and recruitment mission) then perhaps it should be free exclusively to the N7 Edition. Depending on how much effort they put into it and depending will likely reveal how worked up people should be getting. Nobody knows exactly how much they're missing out by not having the extra DLC, so we'll have to wait and see.

The.Bard said:
Okay, this forum need shut be shut down immediately, cause it's clear that somebody has already posted with an infinite amount of win. Honestly at this point, I reckon Zeel is just butthurt cause he's not getting the N7 Edition. (Not a very nice thing to say, but that's what it looks like)

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
we can't since we like you don't have the bloody game[/quote]

We could if we managed to get the Space Edition out of the tree.[/quote] I'm in Canada so its too cold and it'd break if we tried

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Zeel said:
JamesStone said:
Zeel said:
JamesStone said:
Zeel said:
Tzekelkan said:
What the fucking-entitlement-FUCK?

I just don't have any words. I expected a much more rational response to this well written and rational news post. Really? "Sheeple"? REALLY?

God dammit.
Zeel said:
Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
No independent thought? Jesus fucking shit Christ of helldamnfuck. I'd say that not even reading the post and just mindlessly going with the crowd means not having independent thought. You seem to believe it means doing research, listening to the opinions of others, and then forming your own opinion, whichever it may end up being.

You'll probably react with a knee jerk and call me a brainwashed consumerist pig for daring to write this post, because you will have failed to notice that I haven't even yet given my opinion on this Day One DLC business for ME3.
Why the are you replying to a post about people who defend it, if you aren't one. What kind of loopy ass shit is that. If you haven't given your opinion on the DLC business. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

C
L
E
A
R
L
Y
You again. Quite nice to see you in Mass Effect 3 forums for a chan... oh, wait. Anyway, I was starting to get worried when you didn't awnser negatively to the last ME3 thread post. So here we go again.

So, if someone argues against badly presented standpoints, they must clearly be, stand for or believe in the opposite side of the argument? Really?

OT: I still rather not make a comment. First, we´ll see if this Prothean appears in-game, and if the only thing that this DLC does is to make him a companion. If so, just extra content Bioware decided to create and hadn't the time to put in the original game. Totally acceptable. If not, and this Prothean is, in fact, a completely new character, people have all the right to get mad. In that case it wouldn't be entitlement, but only in that case.
All evidence points to the latter case. I'm not going to wait until its too late to change it. thank you very much.
Good, now we are getting somewhere. Now, just a question, a small technical issue, no big deal.

What evidence?
Did you read between page 1 and page 10. I'm pretty sure I laid out my argument back then, but i'll be brief. If you wish to challenge anything thats up to you

1. leak confirms prothean important.
2. Prothean important for story/lore/character development
3. DLC suggets prothean character only purchasable.
4. Sleazy tactic done by EA games before; sebastian, dead space 2.
5. "extra" content being highly important to story is a redflag for me

On the opposition they have:
1. Bioware says SOOOOO!!!!!!
2. IT WILL BE IN THE GAME WE HAVE NO EVIDENCE ABOUT THIS CLAIMT HOUGH!!!!!
3. ENTITLED!
DLC confirms that the character is only purchable? Where? When I saw it, it said squadmate. The character indeed is important, but it is in game. How stupid do you think Bioware is? If they lied, it would end up blowing in their faces. They would lose all credibility they had.

Not only that, but all we have is suppositions. Besides the fact that the leak confirms that the Prothean is important (and he is), it doesn't mean that the character will only be obtainable by DLC. It says a character is important. And with the DLC, you will know new and non-important, or at least non critical information about him and have him as your squadmate.

That is no evidence. That is a conspiracy theorist running loose. You are making shit up, twisting other shit and adding extra (invented laiers) of shit into the leaks, creating a gigantic shit sandwich you are forcing us to eat. No sir, I will not eat that shit sandwich, I will wait for the game to be released to judge it like an inteligent, non-shit-sandwich eating person.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
The.Bard said:
Such perfect comedic timing. I applaud you good sir!

Anyways, Mister Zeel, I have to ask... if it was in the leaks, and the leaks are outdated and contain things that have changed or have been removed... how exactly is this "proof"?

Bioware have also said much, if not all the DLC coming out for Mass Effect 3 were ideas they had originally but scrapped because they felt it wasn't essential or they ran out of time to implement. This may well include the Prothean being a squad mate, it may well be they changed it to meet deadlines, only to work on it later. The Prothean may well be in the basic game, albeit just not a squad member.

Also, you call us blind... I may remind you at this point that many people feel the same as you, but yet haven't incurred the wrath of everyone in this thread.

http://www.northwesternflipside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/screenshot_213536_thumb3001.jpg

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Radoh said:
The.Bard said:
Good God.
I'm sending you a friend request, I would very much like you to accept it.
I need this brilliance readily available.
Oh crud. Life was so much easier when I could troll random forums without friends putting pressure on me. I will do my best to bring sunshine to all your days!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
HERE IS THE SO CALLED "PLOT CRITICAL INFORMATION" THE PROTHEAN GIVES YOU

Prothean: ...you found one of our beacons. You saw it happen... our destruction... our warnings... Why weren't they heeded? Why didn't you prepare for the Reapers, human?
Shepard: It's 'Commander'. And nobody could understand your warnings. The beacon nearly killed me!
Prothean: Then communication is still primitive in this cycle. You can't absorb knowledge as we did.
Liara: Shepard can.
Prothean: Then the extinction was delayed?
Shepard: We pieced together what we could - and used it to stop a Reaper invasion three years ago. Now we have your plans for the Crucible. We've started building it.
Prothean: 'Crucible'?
Liara: The weapon your people were working on. I'd hoped you could tell us how to finish it.
Prothean: So much has been lost. So much I don't know. I was a soldier, not a scientist. Skilled in one art: killing. When it was clear our war was lost, I was chosen to go forward to the next cycle.
Shepard: What was your mission?
Prothean: Among my people, there were...avatars of many traits: bravery, strength, cunning. A single exemplar for each.
Shepard: Which are you?
Prothean: The embodiment of vengeance. I am the anger of a dead people, demanding blood be spilled for the blood we lost. Only when the last Reaper has been destroyed will my purpose be fulfilled. I have no other reason to exist. Those who share my purpose become allies. Those who do not become casualties. Do you agree, Commander?
Shepard: I'd say you found an ally. The only goal we have on this ship is wiping the Reapers from existence.
that is that, that is whats so goddman important that he tells you

AKA NOT SHIT.

MBurner 93

Mar 26, 2009
The debate seems to be over how important the squadmate is, and if his race is any indicator, he is important. People have seen his dialogue in the leaked script, so I see two possibilities.

1.The character was cut from the game in order to make him dlc, so a character unbelievably important to the lore was removed from the game and is being sold back to us for an extra ten bucks. If this is the case, I believe we have a right to be pissed off.

2. The dlc only takes an existing character and makes him a squadmate as well. If that's all the from ashes pack has, the squadmate thing and a mission, it isn't worth 10 USD. Zaeed was free for people who bought a new copy, and I believe Kasumi was around 7 USD. In this case, I don't think it's worth the cost, but it also isn't something for the hivemind to rage about.

It all depends on the details we don't know for sure yet.

Feel free to tell me that I am a complete dumbass/sheeple and that my grammar is horrible.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Do you have proof the leak was from the "content lockdown" part of the game?

Ohh wait.... no you don't.