BioWare Employee Busted in Dragon Age 2 Review Scandal - UPDATED

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
While the game is fun it is far from "flawlessly executed" it deserves praise to be sure but like ANY game it has plenty of flaws and I will use one of the things that bugged me most about the game as an example: All the caves, houses, underground caves have the exact same damn layout and atmosphere inside and you're not even able to fully explore them because of doors you can't interact with and it completely kills the immersion and it also implies a tremendous amount on laziness on Biowares part.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I liked the game, except the ending, which makes it 8 out of 10 for me. But otherwise I only have minor complaints. Achievements for dlc don't work, bonus items useless after first act, your sibling in the game, otherwise I don't really care about the normal complaints, dumbed down and inventory for companions, blah blah blah set it on nightmare. But the part about caves and houses being the same, I get that, really annoying.

As for the employee, not a smart move.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
BloodSquirrel said:
Timbydude said:
Seriously, though, their PR for Dragon Age II has been an absolute nightmare. A vocal minority is non-stop bashing the game, that guy got banned from playing for saying that BioWare sold its soul to EA, and now this.
\

Maybe it's time to admit that the "minority" isn't so minor.

This isn't surprising, though. The entire DA II marketing campaign has been full of Bioware lying to people who had serious concerns about the game. We were told to just wait and see- there?s a bunch of stuff we don?t know yet! Then it turns out that, no, we were pretty much dead on with the whole ?dumbed-down? thing from day one.

The optimist in me hopes that Bioware will take this as a warning and put some actual effort into DAIII. The optimist in me is probably wrong.
The optimist in me hopes they forget a third part of this series and instead create a new IP set in a fantasy world less bland than this one.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
My faith in BioWare as of late has been decreasing. My hopes for ME3 are being tapped with a chisel right now...please don't bring out the sledgehammer.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
maantren said:
BehattedWanderer said:
(I said all this back here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.270688.10413272)

Goodness, are we ever touchy these days. The ability to assume that someone can act independently on two different fronts has died, somewhere. Should we now have to declare everything about ourselves when me make a relation, or statement? Will we have to pronounce our affiliations, and state whether we are individuals, or members of a company? Are we now to mention whether we're biased by former knowledge of all of their products or starting anew, with no experience with the matter at all?

We are allowed our opinions, still, are we not? And the idea that we must be fair in our dealings is one of simpleness--not everything requires us to take the stand that all things are level. We are encouraged to consider many positions, but of those options, we only choose one. As there are many, not everyone would see eye to eye. To assume that each choice is on a level field is insipid, at best. Some will be equal. Others will not.

What this leads to, in it's verbose and circumspectral way, is this: it's a fluff review. Everything had fluff reviews. Billy Mays made his fame on fluff reviews. If you, as the buyer or observer, are swayed by a fluff review, then you have not understood how a review works. A perfect score, without a thorough analysis or critique, is not a review. It's fluff.
With respect, you sound fairly young and intellectual. Adult professionals should declare conflicts of interest when operating in their field - this is a basic ethical requirement across business, journalism, and even game development. People who don't understand this IMO are lacking real world experience, education, or both.

Cheers

Colin
Not too young, but probably young enough to be considered young, so you have that on me. I'm an engineer, and admittedly, my conflicts of interest center more or less around supporting the project, and not publicly dismissing the suppliers or client. If I wanted people to see that there are those out there who would support the project, given an arbitrary review score, I would say that I am not above fluffing said score, without acknowledging my position on it. Yes, it has a lobbyist feel to it, but being a bit underhanded without being the most estimable in one's PR still gets the name out there. Should it come to light that I was the one who fluffed the review to draw attention, then I would admit as much--but would say that it was for the purposes of drawing more attention, which in today's climate, is how you get more people to try it and form their own opinion. It might be in that ethically gray area, but ethically gray is where most people sit. They're willing to see an underhanded trick, as long as it doesn't hurt them. That's how I feel on the matter, anyway.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
danpascooch said:
ZeroDotZero said:
This just makes me, a genuine fan of the game, look like a Bioware employee.

I can't say I blame the guy though, you would want to try and do something positive to balance out the negativity towards something you worked on. The best intentions, right?
You don't blame the guy for committing fraud? Yeah I would want to do it, but there are plenty of people I want to punch in the face too, but I know I shouldn't do it
This isn't fraud, it is a man who likes the product he made. He never identified himself as someone other than a Bioware Employee in the review he left.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I find the whole issue irrelevant, considering the busloads of people who haven't even played the game giving it a 0/10 or 1/10.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
kael013 said:
So let me get this straight: Average Joes write up 0-score reviews because they don't like how it's been "consolized" or whatever, that's fine. BioWare employees writing up reviews to counter the mud-slinging, however, is bad?
Yes, because they work for the company.

The guys writing the 0 score reviews are giving their opinion based on the what they think of the product itself. They have no real vested interest in taking the time other than to give their opinion, where the companies have a direct financial stake in how well a game is received. Positive reviews overall convincing people to buy the game.

Generally speaking the only time that a negative review of this sort would be contreversial would be if you could tie it to someone with a direct stake in the failure of the project. Say if Activision/Blizzard had just released an RPG of their own, and got caught trying to tank the metacritic scores of their competition in hopes of it attracting more people to buy their product.

The "Troll Factor" of people who report things negatively for the lulz doesn't matter much, because it's always present, and Trolls are always vastly outnumbered by people who want to give their opinions legitimatly.

The reason why this has become such a contreversy is because it's VERY rare to see a big and heavily promoted release like this tank out in the reviews so quickly, especially with such a huge gap between what the professional reviews and user reviews are saying (they usually wind up being within a point or so of each other).

The way things turned out with "Dragon Age 2" really stinks because before this contreversy people were noticing the score differances, and given "Dragon Age Rage" among the community itself it raises questions about the corruption of professional reviewers to rate it that high with all of the game's assorted problems. Bioware wanting to run damage control and pump up that rating makes a lot of sense under the circumstances because it was making them look bad on a lot of levels, and generating a lot of talk.

I'll be honest though, "Dragon Age 2" is getting the responses it has been getting not because it's been dumbed down and "consolized", but because it's been sloppy about it. There are TONS of console gamers that seem to be badmouthing it, so it's not some kind of PC gamer elite-ness.

I'm one of the only people that talks about it here (so far) but I'm hardly the only one who was going "WTF" when the game basically has you re-visiting the same locations again and again with new spawns, and the spawns are big groups of generic mobs that respawn in waves. When they even bother to have a spawn animation (as opposed to them just appearing unannounced) it involves somevery out of character elements like say thugs in a ghetto jumping off buildings like Ninjas, or sometimes just flat out falling out of the sky (OMG! It's raining knife wielding bums in Kirkwall!).

Complaints vary, but the point is that there is a LOT to complain about. There is a lot of stuff in this game that is just plain bad, no matter what format you play it on, and honestly you also have to wonder what any impartial, professional reviewer, who actually played this game would praise a game that has mindless waves of enemies that literally drop out of the sky. I mean seriously, the way how a lot of this stuff spawns and plays out seems like the kind of thing Obsidian would be apologizing for. This is like the "New Vegas" of Fantasy RPGs on a lot of levels, but it's not so much bugs, as much as a slapshod job in general. Obsidian at least builds these huge, epic worlds, "Dragon Age 2" is re-using the same areas as a painfully obvious way of having to do less game development. Not to mention the very limited companion options, above and beyond the much-complainted about issues about armor, why does a Thief have to drag a law-and order guardsman about since there is only one tank, or a Templar have to use a fanatically pro-mage healer since there is only one? This leads to a lot of whining from your companions no matter what you do, and it annoys nearly everyone. Above and beyond the game design, that's just flat out sloppy design, that apparently was not thought through. I shouldn't have to be annoyed just to build a balanced party.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
PR disaster? Come one, it's EA, they have made disasters way worst than this.
This is just a mishap at best.

Chrishu

Jul 2, 2008
I don't think that this was really the most mature way to handle the immature turds on metacritic bombing their game, but can you blame them? They took a chance, made something DIFFERENT and, honestly, an improvement in a vast number of ways, and they get destroyed by people acting like petulant children, simply because they decided to make something other than Origins 1.5. And you know what? If bioware did make that, then they'd still be getting whined at. There's no pleasing the pc master race.

And seriously, i'm in love with DA2. The combat is great (let's face it, origins combat was a slog and a half) and the story is amazimg, it's different: instead of being the usual bioware formula, it's about a personal journey about how you come to be awesome (compare this to mass effect, where shepard is pre-awesome). But hey, noones forcing anyone to love the game, so let's all shut the hell up.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Trolling? Hardly. People are just unsatisfied with the current gaming circles and are now lashing it all up on to DA2 and Bioware.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
All this over a pointless number that is worth absolutely nothing when it comes to deciding if a game is good or not. Truly pathetic. This is why review scores and sites like Metacritic shouldn't exist. Just write REAL reviews and leave off the nonsense numbers and people can get a real feel for if the game is for them. All numbers do is lead to nonsense like this and people whining on forums that site A gave the game an 8.9 when it deserved a 9.0, as if there was a fucking difference anyway.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
InevitableFate said:
I'd be surprised if just about every other developer and publisher out there haven't done this at one point or another. Probably before realising how pointless it is since Metacritic reviews aren't exactly reliable as people tend to rate a game 0 for the slightest flaw.
Well said. Although it doesn't stop it being unbelievably stupid, especially considering the flak they have received for Dragon Age 2 so far. They are going to need to do a lot of ass kicking to get back in peoples favour at the moment.

Not so much me at the moment as I am really enjoying it for the most part (except a damn companion quest bug I have at the moment), but they really need to work on polishing their games more.

Popido said:
Trolling? Hardly. People are just unsatisfied with the current gaming circles and are now lashing it all up on to DA2 and Bioware.
True enough, but it is still rather childish.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
DA2 is great advertising.

After I played it I realized how much I like Neverwinter Nights and went back to that.

If someone could render NWN1 in one of these newer engines I'd be in heaven :p.

It's not a terrible game, but my enthusiasm for it plummeted fairly fast.

I'm sad because I imagine their star wars game will be much the same. "OH MAN THIS LOOKS GREAT...and...well...it plays ok...and sounds alright...and the loading isn't too slow...and I guess I could keep going till this 30 day subscription is up...or maybe another week."

There we go, spent my monthly allowance of elipses in one post.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Therumancer said:
kael013 said:
So let me get this straight: Average Joes write up 0-score reviews because they don't like how it's been "consolized" or whatever, that's fine. BioWare employees writing up reviews to counter the mud-slinging, however, is bad?
Yes, because they work for the company.

*snipped cuz that's a long response*
OK, fair enough.
I've played through the game and the only problems I had with it were the thugs constantly attacking, the sometimes wooden dialogue delivery, and the fact that most enemies exploded on death. However, I still agree with you, it was sloppily done, but what did you expect from a game with a rushed development time? (that's not an excuse for BioWare's sake). I also hadn't been following the PR on this game that much, so it looked like the "Troll Factor" was the [i/]only[/i] factor in play, thus I saw no problem with this guy acting independently and giving a positive fluff review to counter the negative fluff reviews.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
honestly i don't see a problem in this back on the old YouTube page were we had stars people would ask for 5 stars all the time this is almost the same...tho i would probably rate it 8½ with the only downer for the game being the same dungeons/cellars/caves...all in all i don't think its a ''PR disaster that people don't quickly forget.'' now on the other hand the mess bobby kotick does that is a PR disaster

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Hmnn manipulation attempts end in failure for a perfect metric score well thats good news for me since i hate DA2 anyway.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
ZeroDotZero said:
This just makes me, a genuine fan of the game, look like a Bioware employee.

I can't say I blame the guy though, you would want to try and do something positive to balance out the negativity towards something you worked on. The best intentions, right?
Yeah, no kidding. Not to mention that half the negative reviews were done well before they could've possibly finished or even played DA2 (speaking of fraud...). The Bioware guys were idiots. Unfortunately, the internet is full of people that make them look like freaking geniuses. Color me apathetic.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Brother of Alpharius said:
Knight Templar said:
As I have said before. I do not see the issue in a single user review.
It's not actually just a single review. There's been several Bioware employees who have written 10/10 reviews on Metacritic, it's just that Avanost is getting more attention because of /v/.
That makes it highly inappropriate but still not a big issue.