BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

The Better Business Bureau says that BioWare's promises for Mass Effect 3 do in fact constitute false advertising.

The brouhaha over the end of Child's Play drive [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334158777&sr=8-1]? An FTC complaint? And in case that's not enough, now Majorie Stephens, the director of communications for the Better Business Bureau of Northern Indiana, has weighed in on the matter with an opinion that's certain to fan the flames even higher: All those complaints about false advertising are valid - technically speaking, anyway.

As Stephens explains on the Mass Effect website [http://www.bbb.org/blog/2012/04/mass-effect-3-is-having-a-mass-effect-on-its-consumers-for-better-or-worse/] promises, among other things, that "the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome," which as she notes does not leave a lot of room for interpretation. "There is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute," she wrote. The problem is that based on the flood of virtually identical complaints, it's not actually true.

Stephens' proclamation carries no legal weight but it'll probably make a lot of aggrieved fans feel a little better about the whole thing, or at least give them some sense of validation. She also expressed hope that it might teach advertisers to take a little more care about promising the moon if they can't deliver. "The lesson to be learned here is companies should give careful consideration to how they word their advertisements," she continued. "Otherwise, there could be detrimental effects, especially in the era of social media and online forums."

"Detrimental effects" indeed. Even BioWare's late-to-the-game efforts to smooth the waters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116661-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated] with the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut DLC that will "clarify" the ending seems to have only made things worse, as fans who want a "better" ending say that mere clarification isn't nearly enough, while those who hoped BioWare would stick to its guns are disappointed that it gave in to the howling. In other words, we can expect this fight to carry on for awhile yet, probably at least until sometime this summer, when the Extended Cut DLC comes out.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Hey, someone in a position of power who DOESN'T think we are a bunch of whiny entitled douche bags! alright!

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I hope all the people calling the FTC complainer a needless whiner feel whatever the opposite of vindicated may be.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
But... but... but... artistic integrity! Would someone PLEASE think of the artistic integrity?!

That was a joke.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
This is going to be a fun thread to watch. I doubt these words are going to turn into action, but maybe it will go somewhere.

Still, it's going to be fun to enjoy the show.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Well, in a sea of opinions, at least one person has gave an unbiased, legal opinion.
Not that'll mean much to all those that say that everyone who complains is an entitled whiny cry baby ******, who says "THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

I don't own ME3, so don't judge me. Just an opinion after all.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Well thank you, BBB.

Here's the thing, as I see it: We should not let companies get away with directly lying about the contents of their products. Period. Not for food, not for cars, and even not for video games.

Jul 22, 2009
People are even more angry about the Extended Cut DLC?

I was actually moderately pleased ._.

The bad ending is already out there, no point taking it all back now, the only thing worth doing is making it less bad.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Dangnabbit, just when I thought the Mass Effect stuff was winding down after the DLC announcement... Confound you government!

But in all serious, despite the fact that I was getting annoyed with the fan reactions and the hundreds of ME3 threads after a while, I am REALLY curious to see how Bioware and/or EA are going to respond to this, especially since they've appeared to have blown off most of the responses from people up until now.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I just want to point out that the Shepard Lives scene is part of the ending (provided that you did the right things).

Indoctrination theory is still possible.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out. not getting a promised feature is in my eyes much worse then not getting a a promised fulfilled they make everything and does not ever really happen. after all, whatever you do, you are doing the same stuff as everyone else with sometimes a character switched or some different dialogue, never you are really playing different events.

with that out off the way, what do people hope that will happen now? you are already getting the extended cut DLC and hopefully they have listened for there next game. i do understand why people are frustrated with what happened, but some people are really taking it far.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
If this works, I also want to sue the makers of Dead Island for saying it was local co-op when it isn't. Dicks. Wouldn't have brought that otherwise.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The only problem I see with the statement made by Bioware is the word "completely". The decisions you make in the three games do shape the experience and the outcome(not the ending exactly, but much of the rest of it). I think this all just comes down to one interprets the word "completely" and the BBB has succumb to the loads of e-mails to the point of making this more of a story than it really should be.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
SomebodyNowhere said:
The only problem I see with the statement made by Bioware is the word "completely". The decisions you make in the three games do shape the experience and the outcome(not the ending exactly, but much of the rest of it).
That was my thinking, the decisions you made effect the game all the way up to the ending. Including whether you reach the part where you pick your ending. AND THEN YOU PICK YOUR ENDING, WHICH IS A DECISION.

If people are going to pick at technicalities in wording, then they should acknowledge that you can't play a game (almost any game) without making many decisions that effect the entirety of said game.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
SomebodyNowhere said:
...outcome(not the ending...
Yeah, the whole ("ending" is distinct from "outcome") semantic argument may be the weakest defense I've seen bandied about.

dogstile said:
If this works, I also want to sue the makers of Dead Island for saying it was local co-op when it isn't. Dicks. Wouldn't have brought that otherwise.
Doooo iiiiit! That's exactly the sort of thing that laws against false and misleading advertising are meant to stop.