BioWare Kills Mass Effect 2 PS3 Rumor

Micro Chip

Jul 24, 2008
s69-5 said:
Micro Chip said:
Seriously considering get an Xbox 360 just for these games. Could someone tell me, is it worth buying a basic Xbox 360 just for the ME games? I'm not all that interested in the other exclusives (Halo, Gears etc).
Do you have a PC capable of handling this? If the answer is yes, then get it for PC.
My current PC can barely run the first 2 Fallout games :p I'm more of a console gamer (Not Fanboy).

I'll probably end up getting the Arcade 360 for £120. Can probably get myself a spare hard-drive off of one of my mates.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I was actually surprised at how well my laptop runs ME2. I knew I COULD run it, since it's runs things pretty well despite being a laptop and 2 years old, but I run it very well with everything but resolution maxed out, compared to the recent Dragon Age: Origins where I play on medium across the board (with no anti-aliasing). ME2 has slowdown during some of the cutscenes, but in-game there's no problem at all.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Zero=Interrupt said:
If Bioware doesn't want more of my money, then I'll give it to someone I know can deliver: the Japanese.
I don't get the joke.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I didn't know there was meant to be a port of it.
I'll get to play it eventually, even if I have to try running it off my laptop...

Mar 26, 2008
Hazy said:
I have an Xbox, but the damn thing scratches discs constantly.* Since I'm going to be playing this for a good while, I don't wish to spend $60 on something that may get scarred.

Still, I hope it does eventually get a port. As I would love nothing more than to experience this, without getting a new Xbox or dropping a lot of money on my PC to be able to run it.
[sub]*My copy of COD 4, which I just bought, new, last year, refuses to run. I take great care of my games.[/sub]
I may be stating the bleeding obvious but lie it on its side. A mate had a 360 that was doing the same thing and he put it on his side; problem solved.

saxybeast418

Dec 4, 2008
This is why I have both consoles.

To everyone out there either mourning this non-story or still under the delusion that they game will come out on the PS3 as a boxed trilogy: why on earth would you want these games on the PS3?

This isn't to say that they are bad games. On the contrary: they are incredible. However, to optimize these games for the PS3 would require a great deal of cost to get what will in all probability an inferior port of the game.

Not to mention that the first game was published by Microsoft, and they sure as hell aren't letting that one go to Sony any time soon. Even if PS3 owners could get Mass Effect 2, what would be the point if they had no way of experiencing the first?

To PS3 owners: get it for the PC, or get a 360. To 360 owners: get a PS3. It's really good, and more and more affordable nowadays.

LitigationJackson

May 22, 2009
i have a very beefy computer, and if there's a PC option for any game i'll take that one. But i do have a ps3 and a wii for the games that arent.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Micro Chip said:
Seriously considering get an Xbox 360 just for these games. Could someone tell me, is it worth buying a basic Xbox 360 just for the ME games? I'm not all that interested in the other exclusives (Halo, Gears etc).
It's not hard to find a cheap XBOX. I got mine (with a 60GB hard drive and 2 games) for $70. Granted, that was eBay on Christmas Day. But it still isn't hard to find them for around $120 this time of year. Then you can always resell it for about the same price.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Cryo84R said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
If Bioware doesn't want more of my money, then I'll give it to someone I know can deliver: the Japanese.
I don't get the joke.
No joke here, buddy. Bioware doesn't want my money, b/c I'm a PS3 owner, and they didn't release it for my system. My library is packed with titles from Japanese manufacturers. Sure they make shit games across the pond, but they make great ones there to. Thus I know they can deliver games I will like.

Dragon Age.... made me cringe more than it filled me with like, quite honestly. It was good, not great. Good enough to make me curious about Bioware's other games, but if they're not gonna put 'em out for my system, then there are plenty of other companies out there who will, and are.

Get it? Joke's on Bioware. For being douches. QED

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
The thing which I find a bit puzzling is how come when I go to the BioWare website and look at my "available DLC" list, it lists PC, Xbox360, and PS3 codes.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
addeB said:
I feel sorry for those with ps3 who don't get to play this awesome game... You really miss something : /
Yes, but they brag about having PS3 exclusives, so screw'em - unless they aren't the fanboy types, then sorry for you guys.

Though I suspect if Microsoft hasn't paid for the exclusive this time, EA and/or BioWare will have it ported to PS3.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not too much of a hassle - most people have a PS3 and PC or PS3 and 360 combo at least anyway.

Shame for those that can't play it though, it's something else.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zero=Interrupt said:
Cryo84R said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
I don't get the joke.
No joke here, buddy. Bioware doesn't want my money, b/c I'm a PS3 owner, and they didn't release it for my system. My library is packed with titles from Japanese manufacturers. Sure they make shit games across the pond, but they make great ones there to. Thus I know they can deliver games I will like.

Dragon Age.... made me cringe more than it filled me with like, quite honestly. It was good, not great. Good enough to make me curious about Bioware's other games, but if they're not gonna put 'em out for my system, then there are plenty of other companies out there who will, and are.

Get it? Joke's on Bioware. For being douches. QED
And that's where I lost any respect for your argument.

Why are they "douches" just because it hasn't been released on the PS3?

I'd love to play Uncharted 1 & 2, but have no PS3 so I can't. Get over it.

EDIT: Meant to edit this into my last post, sorry folks.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Doug said:
addeB said:
I feel sorry for those with ps3 who don't get to play this awesome game... You really miss something : /
Yes, but they brag about having PS3 exclusives, so screw'em - unless they aren't the fanboy types, then sorry for you guys.

Though I suspect if Microsoft hasn't paid for the exclusive this time, EA and/or BioWare will have it ported to PS3.
I think (or guess) that Microsoft did pay. Cause i don't understand why Bioware would make it a "Microsoft exclusive" (does it work with mac?) if they didn't get paid for it.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Captain Picard said:
I'm not sure what people expected. There's only so much a developer can be bothered to do for a console with a puny 256MB of system memory. Making a game like ME1 or 2 run with a hardware limitation like that and having it still look like it's supposed to is a task not worth bothering with.

Oh give me a break. The PS3 has the same amount of system memory as the 360. It's just used differently. Namely split into two halves.

Andy Chalk said:
BioWare Kills Mass Effect 2 PS3 Rumor

BioWare has shot down rumors that a PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2 [http://masseffect.bioware.com] is on the way, saying that the PS3 code found in the PC version of the game is nothing more than a remnant of the cross-platform Unreal Engine.

Polish gaming site BioWare [http://www.kikoo.pl/news/3045-1/Mass-Effect-2-na-ps3]. It looked like this:

m_srSpendTalentPointsMessageXBox?=348754
m_srParagonRenegadeMessageXBox=3?48755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePC=3?48753
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePC=348?755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePS3=?348755
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePS3=15?3007

Neither Mass Effect game has appeared on the PlayStation 3, but BioWare has consistently refused to deny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94194-BioWare-Refuses-to-Deny-PS3-Mass-Effect] that it won't someday bring the franchise to Sony's platform. Could this be the reason? Did Kikoo uncover BioWare's greatest secret: Mass Effect 2 on the PS3?

Well, no. In a short-and-sweet Unreal Engine [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/925844&lf=8] is cross platform, hence the PS3 code. This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1 days as well. Mass Effect is for the PC and Xbox 360."

Sorry, PS3 crew, but it looks like you're going to have to wait awhile longer.

via: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-code-found-buried-within-mass-effect-2-162338.phtml]

This is interesting. I think it's worth noting that Mr. Priestly never actually states that Mass Effect 2 will never be coming to the PS3. He simply provides a plausible explanation for the existence of the PS3 code and then states where Mass Effect 2 is NOW. But he doesn't address the issue of where it will be in the future.

So he doesn't actually deny Mass Effect 2 ever coming to the PS3, as I said he simply makes a statement of where it currently is. It would seem that anyone who says otherwise is actually talking about their own interpretation of BioWare's statements.

And besides, Bioware's word isn't as plausible as one may think. Whether or not Mass Effect will ever come to the PS3 is actually not their call to make because they don't actually own Mass Effect 2. EA owns the title and whether or not to bring it to the PS3 is their decision to make and theirs alone. And it's already well established that they are under no legal obligation to keep it off the PS3.

Speaking of which, around the same time Mr. Priestly made his statement the question of whether or not the game will make it to the PS3 was presented directly to EA. And interestingly enough the answer was "No comment on that one."

How interesting.

So to those PS3 fans hoping for a Mass Effect 2 PS3 version, I wouldn't hold my breath but I also wouldn't count the idea out. Not by a long shot. Not as long as the decision rests in the hands of one of those increasingly-multi-platform-inclined third party developers.

Captain Picard

Jan 21, 2009
A1 said:
Captain Picard said:
I'm not sure what people expected. There's only so much a developer can be bothered to do for a console with a puny 256MB of system memory. Making a game like ME1 or 2 run with a hardware limitation like that and having it still look like it's supposed to is a task not worth bothering with.

Oh give me a break. The PS3 has the same amount of system memory as the 360. It's just used differently. Namely split into two halves.
So, you're telling me that the Xbox 360's 512MB of memory is somehow "split in half", and that only half of it is usable by whatever game it's running? Even if this were the case, it's still not burdened with handling the OS as well as the game, like the PS3's 256MB of memory.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Captain Picard said:
A1 said:
Captain Picard said:

So, you're telling me that the Xbox 360's 512MB of memory is somehow "split in half", and that only half of it is usable by whatever game it's running? Even if this were the case, it's still not burdened with handling the OS as well as the game, like the PS3's 256MB of memory.

Oh, it sounds to me like you want some details. No problem.

Below there is some information and data copied and pasted from the Official US Playstation website.

Enjoy!

The PS3 uses XDR ram that is far faster and more efficient then normal PC ram. it isnt the same thing so the comparison to what you'd expect from a PC isnt fair.

Here is some data from Hack5 about the PS3's ram.

Just so you know, the PS3 has 512MB of RAM (256 for video and 256 for system). The Cell chip has 256MB of completely sharable RAM, the GPU has 256MB of dedicated RAM. Now the key here is what type of RAM it is.

The PlayStation 3 has 256mb of GDDR3 at 700mhz and 256Mb of XDR at 3.2ghz. So what exactly is XDR ram? Here are some of the highlights:

- XDR makes PS3 super effiecient
- XDR aids in faster cache mapping, both direct and indirect
- XDR ram works by a pointer to pointer technology and needs very small buswidth for execution
- XDR is not just faster than GDDR3 but it is much more efficient
- XDR RAM works by breaking down data into several packets which prevents data loss and exceptions

The Rambus XDR? memory architecture is a total memory system solution that achieves an order of magnitude higher performance than today?s standard memories while utilizing the fewest ICs. Perfect for compute and consumer electronics applications.

The PS3 has two times as much cache at 2x the speed, making it way faster for direct/indirect mapping. Not only that but it has 512k of L1 cache + 1.7m of L2 cache for the 7 spes. The PS3?s GPU, RSX was made to work with the Cell processor, it is not some GPU they took and slotted in. It is made to be compatible with the Cell.

More RAM does not mean a faster system it means more data can be stored in a fast access area. Games don't always need 512mb of RAM.

The RSX can freely use as much of the 512MB total RAM that the PS3 has because the Cell doesn't need much RAM because its fast enough. And the fact that the PS3 has XDR means that it has faster access to data files.

A lot of people are saying that the RSX only has 256mb of RAM, whereas the 360's GPU has 512MB of RAM. To make it sound a bit simpler, here's the real deal. The PS3 has it's RAM in two separate parts, 256MB for the RSX and 256MB that can be used be either the Cell or RSX.