BioWare Mines Data From Mass Effect 2

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Wait, let me get this straight.

PC gamers all went for the sexy chick everyones had wet dreams about,
and 360 players went for the frogman that was grown in the same manner as Michel Jackson's son?

Thats sad, and makes me wish i didnt own a 360.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Soldier the most played class? That just seems... odd. Why pick the most boring class?

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
I'm surprised that there's an article about data mining in games, and no one mentions Valve.

If I read the code in the source SDK right, the source engine records every action the player makes and sends a gameplay report back to Valve later. And then there's steam...

I'm fine with it, just so long as the devs who gather this information actually use it to improve gameplay. It'd also be nice to see some of the Mass Effect information available for view.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
thefreeman0001 said:
i cringed when i saw that pc players tried to secure mirandas "loyalty" more then 360 players.
Actually, it's not really -that- cringe worthy, as the Loyalty missions don't automatically lead to romancing the character, that actually takes quite a bit more dialogue.

Were that the case, it -would- be slightly...odd, that 360 games chose Grunt over Miranda. xD Not that there's anything wrong with that. ^^' Though it could point to console gamers preferring giant, warrior type characters over PC players preference for...err...umm...confident intellectual females with huge...character development?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
who else chose soldier because everything else sounded F&%KING hard to understand???

I did... its just anoying because i had no idea what i wanted to do... and the soldier sounded the most easy

if this means they will make the classes easyer to understand (put initial powers or something like that at the beginning to know what you will do would be a good idea)

those are my thoughts

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
oranger said:
Without any form of compensation or credit given to the original "publisher" because after all, actiblizz owns whatever you put onto its network...or what it detects when it is watching your comp to make sure you aren't cheating.
Yeah cause no one has ever made a custom map and got a job out of it. OH WAIT league of legends. Thanks for the laughs though.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Hudson said he had been surprised to learn that more than half of all players had imported a save from the first Mass Effect
That surprised them? Huh...

Actually, that kid of explains quite a bit. Always thought surprisingly little effort was put behind relationship continuity (or whatever you wanna call it), seeing how the import feature was one of the game's biggest selling point for me. Maybe if they had had more faith in the feature, it wouldn't have turned out as watered down.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Announcement of Mass Effect 3: "We took a lot a feedback from the community, and found that almost everyone fucked Tali. For this reason, Tali will now be the main character of Mass Effect 3, and will walk around completely naked."
*shows gameplay footage*
"Yes, that's right, under that suit there was a smoking hot blonde the entire time!"

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Will they gather that I thought it was shit?
And that I thought it should have more than three skills? (No, there are not six. Putting special ammo in a gun is not a skill)
And that not being able to quicksave in combat was fucking annoying?

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Ugh... Whilst I kind of understand why they do it, I'm not quite sure I like it... Couldn't they at least have asked for permission first?

Kiytan

Feb 23, 2008
sounds good to me, its impersonal, and gathers useful stuff for making mass effect 3 even more awesome.

However i hope it did tell them that having all powers have a global cooldown is F**cking irritating, and makes playing a biotic much, much less fun than in the first.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Arachon said:
Ugh... Whilst I kind of understand why they do it, I'm not quite sure I like it... Couldn't they at least have asked for permission first?
It's called the End User License Agreement. You acquiring the game gives them permission to do this.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
hyperdrachen said:
AAAAAGH SPYS IN MUH XBOX!
You can sometimes get of the slippery little bastards by poking toothpicks throught the air conditioning holes and impaling them.
Just giving you some advice y'know.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
As long as there's no personal information involved, I think this is a great idea, because it's an easier way to find out what works and what doesn't than listening to a small but vocal minority of whiners on forums or something.

I definitely contributed to that soldier demographic, since there is no problem that cannot be solved with more dakka. I tried playing as an adept, but I felt like I was just sitting around with my thumb up my ass when stuff was on cooldown.

Apr 28, 2008
I think I know why PC players did Miranda's loyalty mission.

Too see this:

In skin-tight black leather.

Just sayin'...

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
considering how the suicide mission works I thought it was in the player's best interest to get the loyalty of everyone. Or are they just saying that Grunt and Miranda are the character's loyalty missions that the respective consoles do sooner or rather than not at all?

Apr 28, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
Arachon said:
It's called the End User License Agreement. You acquiring the game gives them permission to do this.
Yes, you have to agree to it to play the game. But since you have to buy and start installing the game to see this, its considered void in most cases.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
And I maintain that EULAs are and will always be a load of horseshit. What I meant was that they could have presented us with some sort of opt-out, or even better, opt-in alternative.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im surprised about two things. First, that I wasnt really surprised. Funny huh? Second, Im surprised that the soldier is the most popular.