BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

Ezahn

The Werepianist
Jul 26, 2010
This could very well be another fighting chance for Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Michael Flick said:
Honestly I doubt half the staff at blizzard even thought it was a good Idea.
It only takes a handful of the bigwigs to get the idea in their heads to try to implement something. Even so, the fact that they listened to their players and MVPs says a lot about them (if they were truly infected by Activision, they would have gone ahead with it already and then charged people money to keep their name hidden).

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Funny this, as Mythic badly misread their community over Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

For two years those of us that followed the game the longest were wanting an actual war-heavy world-PvP/RvR game and when it arrived it was a WoW-clone with WoW-PvP confined heavily to instances. The world-PvP pools were tiny, with even the largest ones not even taking up half the map. We were promised there would never be a situation where you see an enemy player run past you and you wouldn't be able to attack them. Alarm bells rang when they were splitting servers between 'normal' and 'RvR'.

EDIT: And BioWare Mythic might be about to mis-read it's audience yet again as they're stuffing the 'holy trinity' into The Old Republic MMO. Yes, because we all love being forced into rigid unimaginative roles. Let's see how BioWare Mythic responds to the fan reaction that got.
Now the loyal playerbase has abandoned it = no after-release hype = no more Warhammer online for much longer. It's dying. Who misread their audience first?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Man, people here are prone to mood swings, aren't they?

Blizzard announces their plan for SC2, it's suddenly highway robbery. But if someone makes an ill needed comment, they suddenly defend Blizzard like rabid fanboys.

Sometimes I am disappoint. -_-
Escapists(escapees?) like to defend everything unpopular in order to be able to ***** at everything popular. Except pirates because the news crew likes to ***** at those and sucking up to admins is important they are absolutely and indisputably correct in every possible way with everything they do and say and to think otherwise is to be a pirate and therefor you are wrong and everything you say is invalid.

Blizzard: Hey we have a new idea!
Blizzard fans: That idea is fucking retarded.
Blizzard: Yeah, ok, you're right, this idea is not really that good.
Eurogamer: So what do you guys think about Blizzard's new idea?
Bioware Mythic: Look at how stupid Blizzard is! We would never have come up with such a stupid idea.

I can't actually decide who I dislike most about this: Blizzard for not thinking this through before opening their mouth, Eurogamer for bring this whole thing up again and Mythic for abusing their position for spouting BS under the "Bioware is never wrong" clause.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
After seeing the mess that Warhammer Online is, Mythic has no right to even speak about this.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
It does come down to why there's a need for the rest of Blizzard's customers to know the names of all its other customers. I had at first thought there was a legitimate issue of trying to promote more responsible behavior by displaying real names, but that seems immediately offset by the added risk of harassment beyond WoW when someone can track you back to other online identities, and thus, exposes what should be private information. This isn't whether or not Blizzard knows your real name, as they do (or at least the name of the person paying for your account), but why should that then be provided to the community at large?

Mythic's just responding to a question asked, and they're surprised. I suppose the snarky response from Blizzard could be how they were surprised that WAR was such a bad game.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Actual said:
Woodsey said:
I still don't understand why people couldn't just use false names still.

I for one would be calling myself Hugh Jardon.
If you've previously used a credit cfard to pay it stores that name. There is no way to change or delete it. I tried really hard, but it knew my real name and was going to tell the world if I posted. Stupid plan.
No it doesn't, or else my account would have like a bunch of names on it. Mine didn't have my real name in case something like this went down anyway, but yeah didn't think the worst idea a video game company ever had would go through anyway.
If you used a credit card when you created your battlenet account, which was required by blizzard it will have stored it. Check the battlenet account management, not the Warcraft account management.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Woodsey said:
I still don't understand why people couldn't just use false names still.

I for one would be calling myself Hugh Jardon.
Credit Card use for the abonnements.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
John Funk said:
Hindsight 20/20.

Also, it's funny, but this thread is like a PERFECT example of why EA changed Mythic's name to BioWare Mythic :p
Because the Bioware name functions as a heat shield for Mythic when they say dumb things?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
John Funk said:
Hindsight 20/20.

Also, it's funny, but this thread is like a PERFECT example of why EA changed Mythic's name to BioWare Mythic :p
Because the Bioware name functions as a heat shield for Mythic when they say dumb things?
Probably meant more like Mythic team gets more profile with the Bioware name included in their official name. Or at least that fewer people may have heard of Mythic than of Bioware. But as for me, it seems that their PR guys can spin this comment either way, no matter how approval of the comment rolls:

In case general approval of the comment shows up? "You see - Bioware would never do something like that with their upcoming MMO!"
In case general disapproval of the comment shows up? "Guys...what are you on about? These are the Mythic guys, not the old Bioware guys. Honestly..."

It's a win/win situation for their PR really.

Having said that however, I agree with them. Having it as an option is cool, having it as a neccessity is just plain greed, trying to mask itself under a pretense of 'doing the right thing' about trolling.

Also...hahahah...people here are *already* under the assumption that Bioware Mythic actually has direct input (as opposed to merely being asked about their experience with Warhammer) in SWTOR rather than say.....Bioware Austin, who's actually developing it. I can see this merging of names working to the benefit of both very nicely in the future I think...so long as they keep things aight internally of course.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I wished Blizzard would have announced plans to ban all posters for being idiots or whiney brats instead. That would be a more efficient way of making the offical WoW forums somewhere you want to go to.

Can't help that this statement feels more like that little kid at school who's very insecure about themselves and must bring up old forgotten dirt about someone else to cover their own back. But in this case, they don't need to.

I'm gutted that Blizzard scrapped the idea. I was looking forwards to trolling people on Facebook.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
scw55 said:
I'm gutted that Blizzard scrapped the idea. I was looking forwards to trolling people on Facebook.
And to think they said that it would prevent trolling from happening rather than encourage it! Go figure...

Meh, seriously...bury this RealID crud already. Pointless to debate anymore, just as pointless as it was for the interviewer to bring up this issue specifically to generate more controversy with a possible negatory reply from Mythic.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Mromson said:
Bioware Mythic +1
Blizzard -1

It's on.
Hmm... Let's refocus that score just a little bit:
Bioware-Mythic: -1000 for making a pathetic attempt at a mostly-cheap-WoW-ripoff-with-about-1%-new-ideas
+ 1 for having the hindsight to say "Oh, the masses really hated that? Then nonoNOOOOOOooo we never would've done anything like THAT...."

Blizzard: +1000 for making the most wildly popular game ever, MMO or not.
-.0001 for attempting to do something they felt would make the community a better place.
+100 for actually having the balls to suck it up and say "yeah, we guess that was a bad idea" when said community rebelled en masse against it.

So, my toteboard still has it at:
Bioware-Mythic: -999
Blizzard: 1099.9999

---

Now, on a more serious note: the fact that Eurogamer would solicit 'expert' opinions from a company that has an MMO that- for all intents and purposes- was a dismal failure is absolute proof of the low standard of journalism on the Internet.

Fuck, at least talk to the makers of Aion, or Champions, or City of Heroes... or any other MMO who didn't fucking bleed subscribers after the first 2 months.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Hindsight 20/20.

No kidding. I'm surprised how many people think this is BioWare proper and not just Mythic Entertainment with a prefix to give them some cred.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Fuck, at least talk to the makers of Aion, or Champions, or City of Heroes... or any other MMO who didn't fucking bleed subscribers after the first 2 months.
Well then you wouldn't want to talk to the makers of Aion OR Champions. Both of those games lost the majority of their population within at least 2 months. And City of Heroes/Villains never had much population to begin with.

Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot both had more subscribers than Aion, Champions, and CoX ever had.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
AcacianLeaves said:
solidstatemind said:
Well then you wouldn't want to talk to the makers of Aion OR Champions. Both of those games lost the majority of their population within at least 2 months. And City of Heroes/Villains never had much population to begin with.

Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot both had more subscribers than Aion, Champions, and CoX ever had.
Okay, I'll concede that point as I didn't research the exact numbers. I thought I read somewhere that Aion was maintaining about 1.5m subscribers 'on average across all countries' (I'm guessing they do some sort of funny math for the non-subscription countries), which, while laughable next to World of Warcraft, the devs considered to be profitable and is more than Warhammer Online topped out at.

The point I was trying to make was that a dev that lost over half its subscriber base after 6 months, and shut down the vast majority of their servers after 9 months probably should not be considered an authority on 'what to do for MMO communities'. That still stands regardless of the numbers.

EDIT: oh, and I think you may just be wrong about DAoC. What I just ran across said 350k subscribers at its peak.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
solidstatemind said:
AcacianLeaves said:
solidstatemind said:

Okay, I'll concede that point as I didn't research the exact numbers. I thought I read somewhere that Aion was maintaining about 1.5m subscribers 'on average across all countries' (I'm guessing they do some sort of funny math for the non-subscription countries), which, while laughable next to World of Warcraft, the devs considered to be profitable and is more than Warhammer Online topped out at.

The point I was trying to make was that a dev that lost over half its subscriber base after 6 months, and shut down the vast majority of their servers after 9 months probably should not be considered an authority on 'what to do for MMO communities'. That still stands regardless of the numbers.

EDIT: oh, and I think you may just be wrong about DAoC. What I just ran across said 350k subscribers at its peak.
350,000 was incredible at the time, and it's also widely considered to be one of the best MMORPGs of all time in its heyday. I know Mythic hasn't had the best track record, but they still hold a lot of clout in the MMO world.

I generally don't compare MMO success to World of Warcraft, because it leads to silly shit like calling games 'WoW killers' or companies like EA forcing companies like Mythic to make WoW knockoffs rather than unique games. Everyone wants a piece of the WoW pie, and it's really hurt the MMO genre.

The problem is that when we measure games based on the WoW yardstick, NO developer is going to be considered 'qualified' enough to criticize Blizzard. You could easily make the same criticism of NC Soft, Sony Online Entertainment, or Turbine.

Personally, even after the problems with Trials of Atlantis and Warhammer Online, I still trust Mythic more than any of the other non-Blizzard developers.