BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
AcacianLeaves said:
350,000 was incredible at the time, and it's also widely considered to be one of the best MMORPGs of all time in its heyday. I know Mythic hasn't had the best track record, but they still hold a lot of clout in the MMO world.

I generally don't compare MMO success to World of Warcraft, because it leads to silly shit like calling games 'WoW killers' or companies like EA forcing companies like Mythic to make WoW knockoffs rather than unique games. Everyone wants a piece of the WoW pie, and it's really hurt the MMO genre.

The problem is that when we measure games based on the WoW yardstick, NO developer is going to be considered 'qualified' enough to criticize Blizzard. You could easily make the same criticism of NC Soft, Sony Online Entertainment, or Turbine.

Personally, even after the problems with Trials of Atlantis and Warhammer Online, I still trust Mythic more than any of the other non-Blizzard developers.
That may be, but again, we still come back to the point (that you just reinforced for me): it really is accurate that no MMO developer should be considered 'qualified' enough to criticize Blizzard about MMO community management-- none of them have had to deal with anything even approaching the numbers that Blizzard has, and you have to acknowledge that the complexity of the situation is greatly increased because of the sheer volume of subscribers.

Mythic should've replied with a 'no comment', particularly since we don't really know what sort of chilling effect (if any- which I highly doubt) the RealID fiasco will have on the subscriber base. It's simple PR to figure that, if you can only suffer in comparision to something, you shouldn't speak ill of it publicly regardless of how circumspect you try to be; if you do, it's not only possible but likely that you'll look like you are either trying to undermine it or you are engaging in sour grapes, and either way, it's probably gonna come off as petty jealousy.

Now, if they had interviewed a developer that didn't do MMOs, but was known to be incredibly interactive and supportive with the community or communitities around their highly successful game(s), that would be reasonable source for a comment about this mess: that way, you duck some of the direct comparisions. But Mythic? The quotes just really, really, REALLY came across like "Oh yeah, we're wayyyyy too smart to do something like that..." As Funk said above: 'Hindsight is 20/20' and all...