BioWare Reveals The Old Republic's Smuggler Class

Erzengel

May 13, 2009
Honestly, I don't want to play a bounty hunter, a smuggler, a fighter pilot, or even an admiral. I want to play a Jedi. That's what made Jedi Knight and sequels as well as KotOR 1 & 2 great. That's why I didn't enjoy Star Wars Galaxies. We'll see what Bioware does and if it will actually be good. I mean, it's BIOWARE, so I don't know how they could not make it good, but I remain skeptical.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Erzengel said:
Honestly, I don't want to play a bounty hunter, a smuggler, a fighter pilot, or even an admiral. I want to play a Jedi. That's what made Jedi Knight and sequels as well as KotOR 1 & 2 great. That's why I didn't enjoy Star Wars Galaxies. We'll see what Bioware does and if it will actually be good. I mean, it's BIOWARE, so I don't know how they could not make it good, but I remain skeptical.
I think I'll avoid Jedi, at least in the beginning.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
bue519 said:
ZeroMachine said:
I don't care what I can play as.

As long as I can get an HK-## droid at my side. You have to admit, it would be hilarious to hear:

"Sarcastic Praise: Oh, good kill, Master! That was uber-1337 hax0rz! Definitely a worthy effort! ... for a meatbag."
What if you could be an HK droid..... now that would be cool.
I just hope that they use the same system used in KOTOR for the combat.
I think somebody needs to fill me in, just why is HK-47 so well liked?

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Knight Templar said:
bue519 said:
ZeroMachine said:

As long as I can get an HK-## droid at my side. You have to admit, it would be hilarious to hear:

"Sarcastic Praise: Oh, good kill, Master! That was uber-1337 hax0rz! Definitely a worthy effort! ... for a meatbag."
I think somebody needs to fill me in, just why is HK-47 so well liked?
Answer: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quote:HK-47 ...meatbag.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
I would prefer a Smuggler/Scoundrel myself as I could brag about all of my Jedi kills and how over-rated they are just as Atton Rand and HK-47 did. Skill and trickery over super powers...it would be like big game hunting with laser blasters. Jedi are the most dangerous game!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
ZeroMachine said:
bue519 said:
ZeroMachine said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, game-pausing will be impossible. I doubt people would enjoy either
A) The ENTIRE GALAXY pausing every time a combat round ends or
B) Walking along to see two enemies, eyes locked, but doing nothing because the player went AFK.

Both sound hilarious, though :D

But, hey, guess I'll just have to work on thinking on my feet.

Lol imagine the mayhem if you could pause the entire Galaxy.
Pause the Galaxy. I want that on a tshirt. And a droid yesman (yesdroid?) as a tagalong would be frakking awesome. Too bad classes are being organized by faction. I can see smugglers and bounty hunters working for either side.

Woem

May 28, 2009
not a zaar said:
Okay so the support class in this MMO is called 'smuggler', thanks for the update.
thiosk said:
"rogues with blasters"
Or we can just call them the bards of Star Wars. Seriously, the description just screams bard, at least by the definition of DND:

"When they can't smooth talk their way out of sticky situations, Smugglers can throw down with the best of them, using a fighting style that's guileful and improvisational and makes use of stealth and trickery to catch opponents off guard."

And apart from that they seem to have at least a couple of small area of effect options such as the stun grenade and burst fire. He's a real team player. If they would also have the option to heal effectively then that would just add extra icing. I'm not really expecting a healer-only class in this game (we can only hope) so from the 3 options we currently have, I'd go with the smuggler.

Megatheist

May 5, 2009
Isn't smuggler just a glorified version of Scoundrel from the first game and Atton Rand from the second?

space_oddity

Oct 24, 2008
nova18 said:
Bounty Hunter or Smuggler?
Decisions decisions.

It all comes down to who I love more, Fett or Solo.
I'll probably spend so long deciding that I never get to play the game.
I am in the same boat. Or should i say ship.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
nova18 said:
Decisions decisions.

Having the same dilemma right now. Both are extremely badass, but wich one will be my main...

caz105

Feb 22, 2009
space_oddity said:
nova18 said:
Decisions decisions.

I am in the same boat. Or should i say ship.
Or should you say Death Star?

Jul 9, 2008
Time Travelling Toaster said:
Hmm, I might get this on release which will make it my first MMO, the classes I've heard of lately look really good :)
I was thinking the same thing. Although technically I tried a free trial of both Wow and Galaxies, this might be the first MMO I actually pay for.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Don't care, never will like MMO'S and there is little you could say to change my mind

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Gerazzi said:
Don't care, never will like MMO'S and there is little you could say to change my mind
...yet you care enough to post you don't. Methinks you care about something, that's for sure.

A class utilizing terrain will be interesting in an MMO, but while it will certainly have greater implications in PvE, if the game itself has any sort of PvP element I wonder how good it will work then. As always, we lack the details, so I'm fine with reserving my judgment til later. Seems interesting though. I've been following the game development for a while now, and they're pushing all the right buttons, at least.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
fsanch said:
Gerazzi said:
...yet you care enough to post you don't. Methinks you care about something, that's for sure.

A class utilizing terrain will be interesting in an MMO, but while it will certainly have greater implications in PvE, if the game itself has any sort of PvP element I wonder how good it will work then. As always, we lack the details, so I'm fine with reserving my judgment til later. Seems interesting though. I've been following the game development for a while now, and they're pushing all the right buttons, at least.
Allow me to clarify, I was browsing and I saw "the old republic"
I was hoping for a new KOTOR.

Gado911

Apr 17, 2009
Great now tell be a bunch of "Han Shot First" renactments all over every server!