BioWare Slays Dragon Age II Expansion

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Just don't make the next one a 30 hour long game composed of 7 copy pasted rooms and I'll be happy. Also make the combat more like Origins' combat. Also don't make enemies explode into a puddle of blood when you hit them because it just looks stupid. In fact just make it more like Origins'.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should probably slay Dragon Age 2 itself while they're at it.

Get rid of that whole fucking embarrassing title, and forget it ever happened.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
finally :D
but if Talis and Merrill are not part of my main posse I will not buy the game until its $20
I'll make my stand right now Bioware, LISTEN TO YOUR FUCKING FANS!!!!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I think it's for the best. Better to start working on a new game than on DLC. I don't even hate DA2. I think it's a good game. Just not as good as Origins. I hope next Dragon Age is more like Origins. As long as Bioware fixes the mess they've made in their last game I'll buy such a game. Otherwise I'm done with them.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Good news. I've just recently played through Dragon Age 2 (while waiting for that whole face-import bug in Mass Effect 3 to be sorted out), and I really want them to continue the story.

I just don't know if I want to play as Hawke or The Grey Warden more. If possible, I'd like to play as both of them at them same time...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Exalted March huh? Were they gonna go for a fantasy version of The Crusades? That's pretty much what an exalted march is.
Well, there already was an Exalted March back in the days of Andraste in the Dragon Age world.

Question is if this expansion was going to portray an event mirroring Andraste's march, or if we were going to jump back in time and see some living history.

Captcha: cup cake
(So sweet and tasty.)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
as some1 who actually liked DA2, this is sad news. On the other hand if they are working on DA3 heres hoping they actually take the time to make the game complete. Thanks

p.s. not that im expecting anything much from Bioware anymore... EA ruins everything >.<

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I would like to see a new Dragon Age, where it's pay to play. Every time you use a skill, it costs fifty cents, every time you upgrade an attribute, it's a dollar. Want a new skill in your tree? That's a dollar. Oh wait, that's already being talked about at EA? Good. I'm glad. This is what we need in gaming. /joke

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
duchaked said:
"Given the wide swath of opinions about Dragon Age II"

yeahh gotta say that because of the 5 star review on the Escapist and the peoples' response to it lol...

personally haven't played DA2 yet but do plan to once I finish Origins...eventually
I actually just finished DA2 for the first time over the weekend. For what it's worth, I really liked it. It had great characters, fun combat, and a decent villain. I thought DA:O was way better, and I understand why some people weren't thrilled with it, but I definitely do not understand the widespread, vitriolic, "BioWare-murdered-my-family" DA2 hatred.
People are whiny as shit. I'm in the same camp as you. It wasn't perfect but the characters were great and the story was something besides the tired old cliché of "Kill the dragon, lol."

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
As an obvious mutant who thought that DA: O was a compelling game story crippled with shitful combat, a retarded dialogue system and a rage inducing talent system and that DAII was a not as compelling story with a strange art shift thankfully buoyed by an entertaining combat system, fun dialogue and excellent character interactions and starred Varric Tethras, this saddens me. I really became attached to Hawke, Merrill (<3 ^_^), Isabela and Varric (SUPER BEST BRO).

HOWEVER!

I do hope that they find that illusive middle ground between the two: keep the combat system free flowing as it was in II, but perhaps tone down the crazy jumping and spinning and blood explosions. Also return to the older visual style but ensure that it the quality is updated to current standards. Keep the simplified talent layouts but expand them so that Rogues can use swords again and warriors can duel weild swords again and whatever other weapon restrictions were made in the transition.

And the big one: make the world as massive and expansive as it once was; if that means the development time is three years instead of eighteen months it would be worth it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well.. I want to see DA III. I want to see a major war between mages and templar. I want to see how far they will be willing to go and have what they want. I want to see my warden back. I want to see my Hawke back as a companion with the personnality I gave him. I want my dog back. I want a big fat war in a COUNTRY (Kirkwall was nice, but...you know). I want to be able to decide the ultimate fate of the mages and templar.

Who knows, maybe one of them will start another blight.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
Good. I wouldn't have bought it. If they make another installment in the series, they better not screw up (not that I'd buy it day one, but I might consider it if word of mouth is good).

However, if it gets another "you are forced to join two factions for no reason, even though both factions are terrible and there's a third faction out there that you SHOULD be allowed to join instead" thing, then better not.

Similarly, they need to decide what they want. Either they want a game about CHOICES - then choices need to matter, and need to allow actually DIFFERENT paths. OR they focus on a cohesive narrative with less choices and the story as the main draw. They evidently cannot manage both (See developer comments on giving players choice and them not wanting to have the results different, because if they don't give the player choice, they can make a more emotional outcome. True, but bites with the choices bit if they keep chickening out on actually giving you those choices.)

I think a big problem, for bioware's writers is carrying things through. They are good at setting things up, but in the end things fall apart. I actually think this was the case in DA:O, too, but it was less annoying.

Was the archdemon REALLY needed? DA:O would have been a much, much better game if the darkspawn had been a nomad horde (ala mongols in medival europe - remember, those guys weren't crazy barbarians, and they even had a pretty scary secret service, allowing for a LOT of interesting plotlines), not a supernatural threat, and the story had focused mostly on the noble infighting. Logain was a good antagonist.

The archdemon was not.

Of course, Dragon Age 2 had it much, much worse, as the ending was pretty much garbage, but you can see it in DA:O.

Bioware would simply need to focus on checking what kind of game they truly want to make, and then stick to that, not pretend they want something different.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I never could bring myself to get interested in it, while my brother enjoyed it as much or more than the first one. I just have a serious problem with the sequel to a game not even remotely allowing me to continue the story of my first character. They really should have made it another part of a larger DA franchise.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Danial said:
QUICK SOMEONE MENTION THE MASS EFFECT 3 ENDING!

OT: Good news i guess, DA2 hasn't really had the replay value of DA:O, even with Merrill being adorable. Still, are the 2 DLCs for DA2 any good? forgot that game existed at all (which is a bad thing I guess)
For the most part, the two DLC expansions to the story were very good and offered variety to the games damning, repeated levels. It is a bad thing that the game has been forgotten, especially when it brought new elements which might improve the third game.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Aw... that's a shame, I would have liked something new on my upcoming replay. Oh well - DA3 should benefit from the extra working minds on it.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Dragon Age can improve upon the previous two games by fixing its flaws and learning from other RPG's.

It must not have excessive repeated levels. This was DA2's most damning offense. Also, it should retain the ability to choose between an elf, dwarf, and human character (or more) as Origins did. If need be, keep a silent protagonist instead of a voiced protagonist, though The Old Republic has made me believe that Bioware can do some pretty awesome voice acting.

Dragon Age 3 can also improve using elements from other RPG's, specifically Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. Skyrim gives you the ability to switch between first-person and third-person view. I believe if Dragon Age does this, it could be a fantastic and fresh new mechanic to experiencing the world (not in combat, but when simply exploring or in public spaces).

USE RECKONING'S COMBAT MECHANICS!!! This game has revolutionized RPG combat, it simply lacks the character depth and story of Dragon Age. Putting the best of these two games together ensures a massive success!!

Lastly, updating the look of the game's characters might be overdue. The Witcher 2 had some of the best-looking NPC's I've seen in a RPG for a long while. Borrow some of that.

And as a personal request, more dwarves. (specifically Varric, Sigrun, and OGHREN!! YEAHHH!!)