BioWare Trims Mass Effect 3 Squad to Focus on Deeper Relationships

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Mass Effect 2 didn't have that many and the only reason everything felt a bit odd with companions there is because Bioware cut out a lot of "conflict" encounters on the ship, e.g Grunt and Mordin having a big old arguement about the genophage.

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
I'm hoping for 8 at least, 6 felt like too little especially when one (or two) end up dieing in the story... You're down to 4 at the end. I'm all for squad mates dieing during very awesome story related stuff but not when 2 out of 6 can have that happen to them, no more than 10 no fewer than 8 please Bioware! And as long as everyone who survived get a big ol' LotSB type mission then i'll be good.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Whenever I see an ME3 article now I cringe in terror.

But I have to say that loosing some party may be good, both Kasumi and Zaead were more tokens in the game then truly fleshed out character.
Not to say they were bad just that they were merely shells compared to anyone else on the crew.
I felt I knew the mess Sargent better simply because he had a dialogue tree.

But I can also see this is a method of covering for changing all the characters who didn't sell.
From everyone I've talked to (so this is all subjective, nothing definitive) Jack was one of their least favourite characters.
So this reshuffle is a great way to completely rewrite her to be something that sells.

I also feel that while ME2's party had two unneeded grey splots on the roster the size of it meant I could take those party members with me that actually fitted my own tastes.
This ability to choose the characters you see the most of is a selling point and opens the game to more people.
A smaller party removes variety and so other characters are going to have to fill those now vacated roles.

I lost a lot of optimism for this game the moment I heard its old release date, and the decline has only steepened each time a quote from EA appears.
You want global appeal, good for you.
You want a classic which will sell for years to come and be as memorable and enjoyable on its fifth play through as it was the first, let Bioware do their thing unmolested.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I hope they keep Mordin. Along with Legion, he's one of the most interesting characters in the entire series. I don't care much for the rest.

lolsherry

Apr 16, 2011
That actually sounds fucking awesome.
And I like that they're not gonna do that thing that most video games do where characters look/sound/act the same after 10 years. Sounds like they're doing the right thing to me!

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
WanderingFool said:
UltraDeth said:
I have a dream, Quality and Quantity. I believe it's possible to make numerous good characters

Granted, they could be able to, but I argue why bother? the more characters they add, with an equally large amount of associated text, the more characters there are to choose. But like with any game with a large amount of choice, whats to say people wont stick to the same combination of teammates? They could put 18 characters in, and half of them could hardly ever be used; hell, there may even be one or two that are never used. Why waste time and resources making more characters that fewer people will use, when they can make fewer characters that more people will be guaranteed to use.

Honestly, how many people actually used a different two characters every time they stepped out for a mission ME2? Which character did you almost never (or even didnt ever) use for an entire playthrough (outside of loyalty missions)? More is not always better, its just a freaking waste. I would rather they have fewer, deeper characters than more, but shallower characters; and I would definitely prefer fewer over more of equally deep characters, as than I wont have wastes of space aboard the ship.

Just because quality and quantity are both possible, doesnt mean its a great idea...
I agree with you completely, especially when you consider the already gastronomous task they have lining up who is alive/dead in each saved game.

Buuuut... if we're living in a dreamworld where resources and time are mysteriously infinite... well, in that case, YES, I would want a bajillion party members.

The nice bit of having so many squadmates in ME2 is they now have the freedom to give them all meaningful deaths or just leave the party to go do other things and report back to Shepard on it.

Kind of like Liara in ME2. She's there the whole time doing her own thing, even if she's not directly working with you. Make them quest givers or assignable to some military campaigns or something. There are a variety of ways they could be effecitvely used even if they're not in the party directly. Joker, Kelly, Chakwas... all good examples of NPCs closely working with Shepard.

Also, love the thick skin clip. Hahahahah!

Khallios

Apr 15, 2009
This is all good news... As long as they still have Tali.

What's that? She's been confirmed? Excellent. :p

The main person I wanna see return is Zaeed. He was a monster.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Speaking of Jack, do we get to kill her?
Not in a suicide mission, bad captain, Captain Kirk kind of way, but actually take her down

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
As long as Jack's tits aren't enlarged it's all good for me. I can't wait for some more calibrating.

Jan 27, 2011
As long as I get to continue what I started with Tali, I am all for this (/me is a big Tali fan). Deeper relations are more fun. I mean.....how to put this....Hey Garrus! Why don't you take over this conversation for me?

"Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations."

....Oh yeah, THAT'S why deeper relations are more fun. We get to NOT have that pop up every freakin time!

EDIT:
Khallios said:
This is all good news... As long as they still have Tali.

What's that? She's been confirmed? Excellent. :p
....Proof. Show me PROOF! I refuse to get my hopes up until I have proof! :eek:

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Well if there are still plenty of characters I can interact with, I'll get over this.
I liked the wide selection and I tried to change up my team depending on what I thought I'd need.
As long as there are lots of crew members I can talk to, I'll be fine with this.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I only really need Garrus.. Wrex is awesome too.. But he is kinda caught up in all that "rallying the Krogan" stuffles.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
still kinda punk
Still kinda punk. There is no middle ground to punk. There are subgenres, but there is no middle ground.

OT: Dear Bioware, I don't give a fuck about the squad choices as long as I can an all female squad. But what I do care about are RPG elements, and you sell yourself as an RPG so how about you tend to those instead of directing the conversation to "Combat" or "Squad mates", huh, how about that. Aight, talk to you in the morning love.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Wierdguy said:
Dont mind too much - the squad in ME2 was simply too big in the end - you never used all of them and keeping track could be a little difficult the first time you played through.
Pretty much. You just kept using a select few while the rest just lazed around the ship doing nothing.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
so it's more space boobs and less characters

calibrating calibrations got a little old, I must admit. It's not like I used jack, jacob or tali for anything anyway.