BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Trilogy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Trilogy

"N7 Day" will see the launch of the Mass Effect Trilogy and the debut of the original Mass Effect on the PlayStation 3.

N7 Day is coming! What's N7 Day, you ask? November 7, for one thing, but also a "worldwide celebration of the Mass Effect franchise," which will feature a variety of in-game, online and even live events. Don't feel too bad if you've never heard of it, because this year's event is the first.

It's also a good way to drum up attention for the Mass Effect Trilogy, which puts all three games together in one massive space opera package. The Trilogy is being released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, and yes, that means that the original Mass Effect is finally coming to the PS3. For PlayStation owners who have already played the second and third games and just want to find out what they missed in the first, a standalone version of Mass Effect will also be released on the PlayStation Network.

Say what you will about how Mass Effect 3 wrapped things up, but there's no denying that $59.99 for the entire Mass Effect collection is a ridiculously good deal. Running through the full Commander Shepard arc as a single epic will eat up a substantial chunk of the remainder of 2012, and it's a hell of a story, too. It's easy to be cynical about a package like this but if you haven't played it, or you haven't played it all, this is a great opportunity to jump in.

The Mass Effect Trilogy comes out on November 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, but not the Wii U, which will instead have the Mass Effect 3 Special Edition as a launch title. (A cynic might also wonder why you'd bother with that when you can get the entire series on another platform for the same price, but I'm not that kind of guy.) To find out more about the Trilogy and BioWare's N7 Day plans, keep your eyes on masseffect.com [http://masseffect.com].

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
As somebody who sold both Mass Effect 2 and 3 on Ebay today (with the first still listed), I can't say I am particularly interested, but you are right, nobody can deny that's a pretty good deal.

I wonder if the PS3 version will get the two ME1 DLC's available. The 'Bring Down the Sky' DLC was actually pretty damn good.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I'll likely buy it if it includes DLC for all three games. Operation Overlord is the only time to date that I have ever cried because of a video-game.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
a few things:

it will just be a matter of time until this trilogy is put on the WiiU I mean really it probably wouldn't be that hard if they are already going to have ME3 though they will probably give it some time, so it isn't to big a jump.

they are releasing this 1 day after Halo 4, so why are they even bothering with an Xbox release besides profit mongering?

will this also include like DLCs from the 3 games, or will it be just the games?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Hmmm... Might be worth checking out for my PS3.
Getting all the games (with the possibility of included DLC's) for the price of a new game at release price is a pretty good deal!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
So how exactly have they got ME1 onto the PS3? I was under the impression that Microsoft had the rights to that one, and I can't see them being all that thrilled with Sony getting their mitts on it.
it was probably an exclusivity deal with EA, and EA was the actual owner. you would be right if it came out of a Microsoft dev studio, but realistically what probably happened was that it was Microsoft owned the exclusive rights to ME1 for X years in exchange for assistance with marketing and distribution (which is pretty sweet as it drives down the actual cost of post production), and after x years the publisher can then sell copies on other systems it as they see fit.

realistically the only time "exclusive" is written in stone is when the rights to the IP are signed over (for this case ME2, and 3 would have also been Xbox exclusives), or like Microsoft was directly involved in the development, or publishing process.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
The only good part of the Mass Effect trilogy is Mass Effect 1, and you can get it for £10 anywhere. So save yourself time, money, exhaustion, confusion, and rage by just buying that.

You'll thank me later.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Darn it, I bought ME1 when it was slashed on Origin in the hope that one day I'd own a PC(well laptop) that can play it.

Does anyone know if the choices from the ME1 version can carry over to ME2 and ME3 on the PS3? It seems to me that maybe they wouldn't have bothered to stick that bit of code on the PS3 versions, but if they do carry over, it'd be well worth checking out

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
This is great news!!...If only I didn't already have all three games for 360 and PC....

Sure I could get it for the ps3...but I already have ME2 for it...and i need to stop buying the same games over and oveerr...Plus I only really use my PS3 for my PS2 games.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't really see the point to this, considering that the 3rd one probably isn't done milking the DLC cow just yet. I think I'll wait for the Ultimate Total Citadel Edition, or whatever they end up calling the one that actually has all the stuff once the 3rd one is finally finished...

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
gardian06 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
So how exactly have they got ME1 onto the PS3? I was under the impression that Microsoft had the rights to that one, and I can't see them being all that thrilled with Sony getting their mitts on it.
it was probably an exclusivity deal with EA, and EA was the actual owner. you would be right if it came out of a Microsoft dev studio, but realistically what probably happened was that it was Microsoft owned the exclusive rights to ME1 for X years in exchange for assistance with marketing and distribution (which is pretty sweet as it drives down the actual cost of post production), and after x years the publisher can then sell copies on other systems it as they see fit.

realistically the only time "exclusive" is written in stone is when the rights to the IP are signed over (for this case ME2, and 3 would have also been Xbox exclusives), or like Microsoft was directly involved in the development, or publishing process.
They were. Microsoft published the first one. Hence my confusion.
then it would actually be the reverse situation that does happen, but less often of: publisher A (EA) wants to buy the rights to the IP that is in possession of publisher B (Microsoft), and the reason it doesn't happen that often is a case of price point (for the IP), exclusions, and name recognition. name recognition wasn't a problem because it was going from Microsoft to EA which both are considered "pretty good", price point falls to a closed door thing. Then exclusions would be similar to the exclusivity deal that I talked about before. just be glad that this is only comparative to what happens in the movie industry, but to a minor level.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Rogue 09 said:
Would somebody please explain to me how Mass Effect is a good story? Villains are various and never well developed, the main character is completely wooden no matter what path you choose, and (speaking of choosing paths) the whole game is basically an invisible hallway simulator. It's a space game where there is no space gameplay. You are captain of a point and click ship. It was no different than the Kings quest games. Move something around and click on anything that lights up.

Terrible series. I had high expectations for it and it delivered on none of them.
Its choose your own adventure book with good character development that goes shooty~shooty bang~bang. Mostly people think it is better then it is because of the emotion connection with the game, combine with the comfort with familiar game play elements. Its comfort food. Its not the best in the world, but it is rather enjoyable. Which is why people give it higher praise then it deserves. The thing is its one of those games, even when you have beaten you want to play again. Even when you have new games to play. The first and the second together make a pretty decent Bioware game. 3 is the one that sucks, because its where it ends. Its the same reason why T3:Rise of the Machines sucks.

Oddly enough the multiplayer does a better job of telling the story of 3 then the single player. Since there it does feel like a war, and the people you are fighting with are your buddies that you care for. There has been more times where I got into a feral rage over someone getting killed, then in the single player. There was a time or two where I was able to take out an entire wave of enemies by myself, because I was pissed off that they killed my squad mate. Just so that he could come back alive for the next round. That made for a great experience that I keep coming back to every time I can afford it.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
aether-x3 said:
This is great news!!...If only I didn't already have all three games for 360 and PC....

Sure I could get it for the ps3...but I already have ME2 for it...and i need to stop buying the same games over and oveerr...Plus I only really use my PS3 for my PS2 games.
Same here. I'd get this in heartbeat if not for the fact that I have 2 and splurged for the Collector's Edition on 3. If this comes with all the DLC, however, they jut might have themselves a deal.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let me clear my throat, ahem-

Suck it brother!!!

I knew at some point they will release a triliogy box especially for the PC but my brother was like "Just buy the individual games already!".
I can assume the the pc version will be in good/ decent quality and not a direct port like Dark Souls: Prepared to Die edition!