BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Trilogy

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I've got no real problem with this... unless they put in some exclusive content or something. That'll tick me off royally. I've picked up every ME game on (or near) release. I'm the one (the loyal customer) they should be thanking, not some muppet climbing onboard at the end of the show.

Unfortunately... somehow companies never think like that. The incentives always to the undecided, because the fans have already given you their money, so they're no longer valuable. Makes me feel physically ill to think how stupid the people in charge of games companies are.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm still waiting to hear more specifics before I commit. I am really interested to see if they update/re-optimize ME1. Screen shots point to this being a possibility.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wouldn't it be also smarter that they released the trilogy on the WiiU instead of just the 3rd game?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Well this is a bit of a waste. PS3 folk aside, I can't imagine there are too many people that wanted all three games that don't have them already. Now if they had taken the time and money to port the first two games to ME3's engine and ironed out some of the more egregious mechanical problems (like the option to nix that stupid single context sensitive button assignment), I'd be all over it. But this seems like nothing more than a cheap money grab (again, aside from the PS3 folk).

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
What kind of DRM are we looking at here? Origin? No thanks.

It's a good deal for anyone who has been looking for an excuse to start playing the Mass Effect trilogy though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hmmm... another good reason to own a PS3, the entire Mass Effect Trilogy... color me interested. Also, it would be nice if it included every single piece of DLC, although as this is EA we're dealing with here, I highly doubt it.

Also, looking forward to seeing this on the WiiU.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Rogue 09 said:
Would somebody please explain to me how Mass Effect is a good story? Villains are various and never well developed, the main character is completely wooden no matter what path you choose, and (speaking of choosing paths) the whole game is basically an invisible hallway simulator. It's a space game where there is no space gameplay. You are captain of a point and click ship. It was no different than the Kings quest games. Move something around and click on anything that lights up.

Terrible series. I had high expectations for it and it delivered on none of them.
Mass Effect 1 had potential (that wasn't lived up to in the sequels), the stories for the other two were poor.

The driving force behind the series and why it has such a huge fanbase are the characters, Bioware excels at making decent characters. I have never seen a series where people get so passionate about them, and it's normally them and their arcs that people are fond of, as opposed to the actual main plot of taking on the Reapers.

BrotherRool said:
Darn it, I bought ME1 when it was slashed on Origin in the hope that one day I'd own a PC(well laptop) that can play it.

Does anyone know if the choices from the ME1 version can carry over to ME2 and ME3 on the PS3? It seems to me that maybe they wouldn't have bothered to stick that bit of code on the PS3 versions, but if they do carry over, it'd be well worth checking out
The games themselves would be identical on all platforms graphics/performance aside. There would be no point having a port if they didn't anyway.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I would have thought they would have wanted to finish ME3's DLC cycle, before doing something like this, so that it is truly complete -- then again; Maybe the old ME1 publishing rights contract expired recently and maybe they want to get some extra DLC bucks from newly hooked players...

I wonder if they are taking the time to clean up the handful of incorrectly set plot flags and maybe making the savegame transition a little more seamless (just an little automagic-detection: "This is your last saved game in the previous episode. Import?", thing).

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I might pick this up. Does anyone know if you get all the dlc's with this deal?

If so, then no question, I'll buy it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Woo! N7 day is on my birthday!

Oh wait, I have nothing more to contribute to this discussion. Damn...

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
unless it includes all the DLC's, your more then likely better off buying deal/seperate copies, fuck paying 60 bucks for the 3 games and DLC missing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm gonna wait to see if the DLC is coming with it too, otherwise I'll just wait until I get a decent gaming PC.

If the DLC is coming then my PS3 will be seeing a lot of that series.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Legion said:
Rogue 09 said:
Would somebody please explain to me how Mass Effect is a good story? Villains are various and never well developed, the main character is completely wooden no matter what path you choose, and (speaking of choosing paths) the whole game is basically an invisible hallway simulator. It's a space game where there is no space gameplay. You are captain of a point and click ship. It was no different than the Kings quest games. Move something around and click on anything that lights up.

Terrible series. I had high expectations for it and it delivered on none of them.
Mass Effect 1 had potential (that wasn't lived up to in the sequels), the stories for the other two were poor.

The driving force behind the series and why it has such a huge fanbase are the characters, Bioware excels at making decent characters. I have never seen a series where people get so passionate about them, and it's normally them and their arcs that people are fond of, as opposed to the actual main plot of taking on the Reapers.
As a Mass Effect fan, I have to agree (sort of, I disagree that the stories for ME2 and 3 were poor, or at least, if they were poor, ME1's wasn't any better. ME2 is actually the best story of the three for me.)

The main story arc is relatively standard fayre for anybody who's played any kind of RPG before. Not necessarily bad per se, but certainly rather generic (although, as generic, all-powerful, world-ending plot devices go, the Reapers are pretty damn imposing, even if there is an element of "Please, I'm a Gamer! I've saved three different Galaxies this afternoon alone. What have you got?")

But yeah, where the series really excels is its focus on characters. There's a line I recall by Mordin in ME2, when he's talking about his nephew... I can't remember exactly what was said, but the gist of it was that, while saving the Galaxy is a noble goal, no mind can possibly care about every single being in the Universe. To be really invested in a fight, you have to be fighting for something personal to you. I care about the story in Mass Effect not because there's anything particularly special about the plot, but because the characters to me are more realised as fully-formed personalities than in any other game I've played, and I genuinely care about getting the best outcome for them in their world.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
What they're not telling you is that all three games are going to require a constant connection to Origin, No DLC will be included and all of the DLC for each game (including previously free DLC) will be sold Day 1 at $10 a pop with no discounts.

Oh don't give me that look, you all know that's what going to happen.

Dec 16, 2009
i honestly dont thoiink i could sit through all 3 again (played 1 countless times, 2 twice and 3 once) so not for me unless it has all DLC and goes on super cheap sale in 12 months time.

i am super shocked about MS giving up the rights to ME1, i'd love to read about that

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Re: ME1 on the PS3, given that they already published ME1 on the PC, it was really more of a timed exclusive contract with Microsoft. It had most likely already expired by the time EA published ME1 on the PC, or EA paid oodles to break out of said exclusive. And EA has a tendency to support multi-platforms and not be exclusive.

It's just that XBox360 -> PC is a much easier port than XBox360 -> PS3, and given how fragile the code was for UE3 at the time ME1 was being developed (i.e. at the same time as Epic was doing Gears of War), they probably didn't want to revisit it for awhile until they a) had the time after the trilogy was over, and/or b) got enough money to contract out to a studio focused on ports. Not to mention Epic's UE3 code being more matured to enable ports.

I mean, I still have nightmares of setting up the level streaming on the Xbox with it's 512mb memory limitation, I can't imagine how much had to be cut out and rearranged to fit in the PS3's 256mb system memory...(So yes you can sorta blame me for the slow elevators but remember it could have been much worse).

>.>

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Probably get it, if anything I have never got a chance to properly play the original Mass Effect. From what I recall from my 4 hours of playing it is the less shootery and the best.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ThriKreen said:
Re: ME1 on the PS3, given that they already published ME1 on the PC, it was really more of a timed exclusive contract with Microsoft. It had most likely already expired by the time EA published ME1 on the PC, or EA paid oodles to break out of said exclusive. And EA has a tendency to support multi-platforms and not be exclusive.

It's just that XBox360 -> PC is a much easier port than XBox360 -> PS3, and given how fragile the code was for UE3 at the time ME1 was being developed (i.e. at the same time as Epic was doing Gears of War), they probably didn't want to revisit it for awhile until they a) had the time after the trilogy was over, and/or b) got enough money to contract out to a studio focused on ports. Not to mention Epic's UE3 code being more matured to enable ports.

I mean, I still have nightmares of setting up the level streaming on the Xbox with it's 512mb memory limitation, I can't imagine how much had to be cut out to fit in the PS3's 256mb system memory...(So yes you can sorta blame me for the slow elevators but remember it could have been much worse).

>.>
I actually missed the elevators in future releases. I liked the downtime. Did more for immersion than any of the loading screens in the proceeding titles.

With that said, they had better make ME1 shiny with this. I'd re-buy ME1 in a heartbeat if it was re-optimized and re-polished.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Honestly, fuck bullshit like this. Why am I reminded of Jim Sterling and his thoughts about "Ultimate Editions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5233-Limited-Collectors-Complete-Edition]?"