BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
kinapuffar said:
ChupathingyX said:
Well Obsidian managed to make an un-intelligent, illiterate, physically strong, former elite soldier interesting.

So this guy may look like a boring character but he could be interesting.
You talking about Canderous?
Actually I was referring to Boone from New Vegas.

Caspertjuhh

Oct 19, 2010
meh, I rarely even use soldiers in my squad. I am all for biotics!

and he looks like a boring character

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
JWRosser said:
I hope he's not the British guy - I'm hoping the British guy is fucking cool and suave.
I'm assuming there's a British guy in it, due to the British voice over in the trailers...and, if I remember correctly, that guy in Big Ben on one of the early trailers...that's not him, is it?
dude the british guy is being played by sean bean the main guy from a game a throne's that's not him

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
kinapuffar said:
Jason Danger Keyes said:
So in what way is he different from Grunt? You know, the other meathead who knows nothing but how to fight. Nobody complained about him.
Grunt was a Krogan. Being a dumb brute was a key aspect of his entire race, and we can accept that because he's not human. You don't complain about a baby crying and screaming on a crowded train, you would however complain about a grown man doing the same.
We hold humans to a higher standard, and guidos are an embarassment to our entire species.

This creature is something I will throw out the airlock first chance I get, no matter his personality. I just can't stand looking at him. His appearance practically oozes stupidity and homophobia.
Holding humans to a different standard than krogan is racism at its finest. While they are naturally more aggressive, krogan such as Wrex demonstrate that they have deep, thoughtful minds too.

Complaining about the appearance of a character you know nothing about, in specific how homophobic he looks (is that possible?), is a direct contradiction to your own implied racism, classism and elitism.

EX. Gabe Newell is fat, therefore he has no bearing making great games. Don't care how good Valve games are, I won't buy them because Gabe is fat and doesn't deserve to make them.

For the love of fuck, stop bitching about something before you know anything about it. Appearance is a completely superficial detail that has little bearing on a character's personality or merit.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
pandorum said:
JWRosser said:
I hope he's not the British guy - I'm hoping the British guy is fucking cool and suave.
I'm assuming there's a British guy in it, due to the British voice over in the trailers...and, if I remember correctly, that guy in Big Ben on one of the early trailers...that's not him, is it?
dude the british guy is being played by sean bean the main guy from a game a throne's that's not him
Sean Bean is in Mass Effect 3?? Well that news has just made my day.

Edit: I don't think it is him. After rewatching the trailer, that's not Sean Bean - it's not northern enough. Shame though. Plus, there was no other news about this on t'interwebz.

kinapuffar

Nov 26, 2010
Jason Danger Keyes said:
kinapuffar said:
Jason Danger Keyes said:
So in what way is he different from Grunt? You know, the other meathead who knows nothing but how to fight. Nobody complained about him.
Grunt was a Krogan. Being a dumb brute was a key aspect of his entire race, and we can accept that because he's not human. You don't complain about a baby crying and screaming on a crowded train, you would however complain about a grown man doing the same.
We hold humans to a higher standard, and guidos are an embarassment to our entire species.

This creature is something I will throw out the airlock first chance I get, no matter his personality. I just can't stand looking at him. His appearance practically oozes stupidity and homophobia.
Holding humans to a different standard than krogan is racism at its finest. While they are naturally more aggressive, krogan such as Wrex demonstrate that they have deep, thoughtful minds too.

Complaining about the appearance of a character you know nothing about, in specific how homophobic he looks (is that possible?), is a direct contradiction to your own implied racism, classism and elitism.

EX. Gabe Newell is fat, therefore he has no bearing making great games. Don't care how good Valve games are, I won't buy them because Gabe is fat and doesn't deserve to make them.

For the love of fuck, stop bitching about something before you know anything about it. Appearance is a completely superficial detail that has little bearing on a character's personality or merit.
No.
Holding everyone to the same standard is the racism. Or specieism if you will. You have to treat everything differently with regards to what they are. You don't treat a dog like a human, why would you treat a krogan like one? A krogan should be treated like a krogan, a dog like a dog, and an asari like an asari.
The reason they put the word 'Politically' infront of correct, is because if they just called it correct, they would be lying.
Looking homophobic is indeed possible. Guidos have a very distinctive appearance, and guidos are all homophobic. Ergo, looking like a guido = looking homophobic.

I am definitely elitist. I believe that smart people are worth more than stupid people.
And your analogy makes no sense. Not that I need an analogy to understand your point. Because unlike Guido McGTL, I'm not stupid.
Appearance is not just a superficial detail. How you look is a direct projection of your personality. It is, literally, what you want to show the world, and how you want them to see you.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
kinapuffar said:
I am definitely elitist. I believe that smart people are worth more than stupid people.
That line caught my eye.

A question or two, if I may.

Are physically strong people worth more than physically weak ones?
Are those with highly effective immune systems worth more than the sickly?
Are the attractive worth more than the ugly?

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Holy shit, is just about everyone in this thread pissing me right the hell off. Oh no. God FORBID that BioWare include anyone that may even vaguely represent, you know, THE MILITARY in a game whose main character served in- wait for it- the fucking military.

If he's just a meathead, so what? You people act like those guys don't have any useful skills. Well, tough shit, because they do. It frustrates me especially when I look back at Grunt and Wrex, two of the series' most popular characters. Had they been human, I guarantee you that people would've hated them because "oh no gravely voiced human character clearly he must be a jock and a jerk and a Gears of War rip-off." But, no, they're angry lizard-men, so that makes it perfectly okay!

I really think this character is supposed to represent, wait for it, the average person in the Mass Effect universe. Oh no! What a crime! What an atrocity! How dare they involve an average person who has no idea what's actually going on in the story!

AND FFS! There is nothing wrong with the guy's muscular build becase, oh boy here we go!, there are people that ACTUALLY look like that. Want to know the real kicker? Not all of them are on steroids! If I had to wager a guess, this guy is about 6'2"-6'3" and probably weighs 240-250lbs. OH BOY. He looks like a hockey player.

God damn it, gamers can be some of the most pretentious pricks on the face of the earth- ESPECIALLY BioWare and Valve fans.

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Hm.

Sorry Bioware. He could be the most awesome character in the history of storytelling, but in my playthrough he's going to spend the whole game making coffee aboard the Normandy.

I can only take two people with me, and we already know that Liara, Garrus and Tali are coming back, plus whoever else makes a return. With all the beloved old faces to choose from there just isn't room for... whoever that guy is.

Still lookin' forward to the game!
Same here, Tali, and Garrus are still in my party in ME2 and haven't left my party until Thane showed up. Tali could use a break every now and again, bad immune system and all.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I think it's actually a really interesting idea to bring in a character that has no idea about the scope of what he's getting into. He doesn't look like he fits in the universe, because he doesn't. If he ends up being one of those mindless, "hoo-ah!" chanting meatbags you guys are afraid of, it could be really interesting, watching him come to grips with his surroundings and situation.

kinapuffar

Nov 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
kinapuffar said:
That line caught my eye.

A question or two, if I may.

Are physically strong people worth more than physically weak ones?
Are those with highly effective immune systems worth more than the sickly?
Are the attractive worth more than the ugly?
Yes
Yes
and Yes.

Provided all other attributes are equal.
Intelligence trumps all though. A physically weak, sickly, ugly person who is intelligent is still worth a thousand times more than a beautiful, strong, healthy idiot.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Zhukov said:
Hm.

Sorry Bioware. He could be the most awesome character in the history of storytelling, but in my playthrough he's going to spend the whole game making coffee aboard the Normandy.

I can only take two people with me, and we already know that Liara, Garrus and Tali are coming back, plus whoever else makes a return. With all the beloved old faces to choose from there just isn't room for... whoever that guy is.

Still lookin' forward to the game!
Thank god Mass Effect has so much replay value then eh? though, It'll be a long time before I get to him, to be fair. Probably good for the people who will start with Mass Effe... wait, no, People shouldn't be allowed to start at ME3, that's basically a crime, I take that back.

OT: Honestly, I'm getting more vibes of him being homosexual rather than homophobe, considering the lack of the former for the male Shepards but not for the FemSheps. But I play Female Shepard, so I can dance on my merry way, and drink the earl grey tea he'll be making non-stop.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
To all the people who mentioned Soap - that was my first thought too :D