BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

Zeraiya

Jul 16, 2011
I'm definitely in the 'wait and see' camp. I don't think we should judge him just because of how he looks. He might actually have a really strong character and some interesting mannerisms and opinions.

(then again, maybe he's just thick)

I personally hope he's one of the gay love interests, because I think it would be an interesting trait to a seemingly cliche character. It would be kinda awesome. The guy is like a building with feet.

But seriously, it would challenge new ground that is basically unheard of in our medium or even in the media. Big brutes like this are never seen as possibly homosexual which is wrong. Being homosexual isn't a stereotype and anyone could be. This guy looks like he could solo a Reaper head first (well... not really) and I think if he were made homosexual it would do a lot for the franchise as well as the medium in which we play. I would certainly respect BioWare a hell of a lot more than I already do.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Logan Westbrook said:
He's supposed to have a much more simple understanding of the situation, and he's supposed to stand out from the rest of the Normandy crew because of it.
Um, Grunt?
Grunt in ME2? Sure. Grunt in ME3? Probably not.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so he is another meathead like Zaeed and grunt, just without the interesting story(and yes i am purely judging the picture). Don't we enough soldiers who look pretty much exactly like this in every other shooter? then again this seems to be what Bioware seems to be aiming for.
Also at what point is it OK the form the conclusion that the game may be crap if every bit of news that comes out for half a year sounds like shit?

Then again, this is Bioware and while i don't like them catering too much to the shooter only crowd they do make interesting characters(except Jacob).

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
I hope he is going to be that meat head hoo-aaah guy who really thinks things simpple, black and white. And I also hope I don't like him, because for now almost every member of normandy is somewhat likeable etc that is why I want this guy to be one that I could almost hate.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
teebeeohh said:
Also at what point is it OK the form the conclusion that the game may be crap if every bit of news that comes out for half a year sounds like shit?
I think Mass Effect 3 has had SOME good things come out about it. Concerned is probably the fair word for ME3.

Dragon Age 2 had all bad news, all the time. It was fair (and accurate in the end) to write off that as garbage.

AlternatePFG said:
Seriously? You guys are jumping to conclusions based off one picture?

We don't know anything significant about this character besides the picture.
A picture says a thousand words, as they say.
The fandom had Varric figured out by just looking at a concept picture back when DA2 was first announced. The devs were laughing in utter confusing at how accurate everyone was.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Oh no. They added a meathead, jock character that doesn't fulfill my nerd wish fantasies for the game. How awful. Clearly introducing a wide variety of personalities and character archetypes is something that Bioware obviously shouldn't be doing.
And now you understand. This can only be a bad thing. Just like the tweaks to combat can only be a bad thing. No video game sequel can ever be as good as the original. Change is bad.

Oh, and from what I've read, the biggest change to combat has been adding grenades. Which I welcome. It'll be great for flushing enemies out of cover.

OT: Honestly, I'll hold off my judgment for the actual game. I'll probably use him some, just because I make it a policy to try out various allies in various situations while trying for a balance in abilities. It's not as easy as it sounds.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Seriously? You guys are jumping to conclusions based off one picture?

We don't know anything significant about this character besides the picture.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I'm not too fussed either way, every human crew member so far has been pretty dull save for Ashley who had some personality but I didn't care much for it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I don't like the way he looks I think they could have done better.

Part of me thinks it's some kind of joke...

Mind you, he might have the most awesome personality under the sun so who knows.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not sure why they're adding more characters. Aren't all surviving team-mates going to be carried over? The Normandy is going to get a bit crowded.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
RoseArch said:
I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.
I saw, going by the character design, there's no hope already:

Really hope this isn't an indication of where the story is headed, otherwise we're set for a generic, misshapen, and bland final act for the trilogy.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Well, if I'm not going to have Wrex or Grunt, I suppose this guy will do about the same

Kidding, kidding. Anyways, I'll reserve jugement on him till I play the game.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
i suppose it'll be interesting to have a human as the big tank character instead of someone like wrex or grunt.. oh wait no it wont

ah well, i spose we'll just have to see

Styggr

Jun 30, 2011
Setting aside speculation about his personality, sexual orientation, and voice casting:

What is going on with his model? It looks like his left arm was dislocated and never reset properly. Both arms are oddly deformed between the forearm and bicep. And there's something seriously wrong with the torso/thigh ratio. That's setting aside the massive shoulders and oddly sloped pectorals.

He's like a comic book superhero drawn by a young artist who hasn't quite got a grasp on human anatomy yet.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
RoseArch said:
I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.
Yes. One unlikable character out of a relatively large cast of characters in what will likely be a very well designed game would just be tragic. Truly Bioware must tread carefully least this unbalance everything.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgment until I see him, but he's sure as hell not getting Garrus' spot on my team.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Works for me. Obviously ignoring the bizarre physical defects present in the picture, I see nothing wrong with including a meathead as part of the ship's crew. Meatheads exist in real life...why would they be excluded in games? Admittedly a good portion of the industry is focussed around meatheads...but you get my point - perhaps a company that know how to handle characters can make this meathead worth the effort.

((I'm starting to really hate these CAPTCHAs. Now they have adverts before them? Also, it's demanding that I kiss it. That's not gonna happen.))