BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

TheRealJLars

Feb 15, 2010
At the end of the day, it doesn't ruin my game experience but I certainly think it could've been done better.

When I finished the Reaper base, I was really expecting for them to show us the face. When we got to see the back of head, AGAIN, I verbally exclaimed, "You have to be freaking kidding me." When we do get to see the face, not only some grainy hard-to-see photo but also an adjusted stock image...Mind you, I have no issue whatsoever with the image itself. It more-or-less looks like what I imagined Tali to look like. It's not the content, but the execution.

The end result feels cheap. It's like they made the combat and some of the major set-pieces out of freaking tungsten and then built the relationships people cared about most together using Elmer's glue and styrofoam.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Irridium said:
So, if you do do things properly, does she still live and everyone is happy?[/spoiler]
Yes... until the ending in which the Quarians are boned forever due to being stuck in Orbit around Earth, a planet whose food they cannot eat. But hey it's just Plot hole and unanswered question number 200,345

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Trishbot said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Trishbot said:
Trust me, when these fans get to the ending of the game, they'll have something WORTHWHILE to rage about. Compared to the endings, the Tali controversy is negligible and will be quickly forgotten.

But those endings.... WOW. I think the official Bioware poll has it at 96% of nearly 3,000 polled hate the endings.
Why do they suck? I've been avoiding them so far, and I would like to get the gist of why people hate them.
Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that NONE of your choices in any of the games matter. No matter what you do, it's all null and void. Did you save the Rachni Queen or kill her? Doesn't matter. Did you romance Liara? Doesn't change the ending. Did you destroy or save the Collector base? Save or sacrifice the Citadel Council? Cure the genophage? Kill Wrex? Survive the Suicide Mission? Were you super Paragon or super Renegade?

Doesn't matter.

You get the same ending (with minor color variations) no matter if you rush through the games, do no sidequests, and make terrible choices as you do if you 100% all games, carefully plan your choices, and do everything you can to get the best endings. Doesn't matter. The ending doesn't change based on your decisions.

And that's why it's so disappointing. The games told us our choices mattered, that we can determine are own fates... but in the very final moments of the game, the choice is stripped from you, your choices no longer matter, and you get one of three marginally different endings, ALL of which are very bitter and very depressing. There are no happy endings, no matter how well you play. You can't earn one.

They provide almost no closure. They're full of plotholes. You don't find out what happens to anybody you care about. The game just screws everyone over and ends, regardless of your choices, regardless of how well you prepare, how good you are, how evil you are, or how close you are to your teammates.

An ending that is nonsensical, meaningless, and violates the theme of the series is grounds for disappointment. It's a shame too, 'cause everything up until those final 10 minutes was amazing. But, yes, the ending is so bad it actually makes playthroughs of ME1 and ME2 almost impossible with the knowledge that your decisions ultimate count for squat.
Just finished the game.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGE

Jun_Jun

Sep 21, 2009
I'm so glad I didn't buy this, I was cautious with that whole day 1 DLC crap they were pulling so I was going to buy it used or wait for prices to drop etc. etc. But after seeing this, there is no way I'm touching this game I just can't believe this, what happened Bioware? We used to look up to you..
I think on the subject of the photo I think more than enough has been said, but I think I will just leave this here for those still fawning over Bioware.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Strazdas said:
all i can say is.... free advertising!
the desktop background i had since 2006 is now ME ending, awesome.
at least they bothered to play with colouration, making ME one look better.

P.S. i know advertising brings money but seriuosly? this for capcha?
I just answer Garbage every time. Unbelievable.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I have no idea why and I hope im not the only one but... these pictures just creep the hell out of me, in a really bad way. Im kinda nervous just looking at them, they freak me out ehhhh.... anyone else?

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
Using stock photos are perfectly acceptable. For non-characters that don't matter and random portraits in hallways.

For a major character whose face is something a lot of fans have been clamoring to see? Not so fucking much.

What really pissed me off is just how fucking lazy the photoshop job is, she just a human with white slanted eyes and some symbols on her neck.

Fucking REALLY Bioware? And I was, thinking that you couldn't get any more creatively bankrupt.

The endings, the endings are the exact same as in the original Deus Ex.
...Oh my god. THEY ARE!

OT: Does anyone else think that Tali looks cross-eyed in that photo?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
My only gripe is that it destroys the suspension of disbelief slightly if you notice.

Now that a minority did notice and kicked up a shitstorm, the majority would read about this, see the picture, and in turn have their suspension of disbelief destroyed.

Yes, Bioware were lazy. But I blame the people who noticed and kicked up a fuss about it. If they hadn't, I wouldn't know when I see it, it's a stockphoto.

I am too to blame for looking at spoilerific article and image, but can you deny human curiosity?

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
People are finding any and all reason to ***** about this game.

I hate humans. Damn it feels good to be a turian.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
A shit storm is a coming.

Okay people, come with me if you want to live, I have a bunker.

Honestly? This doesn't really bother me. It isn't going to lessen my experience of the game and I quite like the picture. What does it matter whether it's made from scratch or not?

Well, unless you're a Talimancer of course, but then you've got more things to worry about.
I'll join the bunker, I'mma bring some dat corned beef yo.
And tea, christ I love tea.
Anyway, I got the picture in my game, and, all that spoils it for me is the nose, its way too human, I mean, flatten it a bit, or something!
The hair is fine, I mean, living in a helmet all your life means you got to have some pretty long hair!
Oh, and AT-LEAST take the time to photo-shop some of Tali's armor onto it!
You know, what, If Bioware are too lazy to do it, I'LL do it!
Down the game file pipe!

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
This was absolutely hilarious!

Hahahaha! If I bought the game I would probably be a little less than pleased about this but really it's no big deal, but it IS very funny. Now I understand fully what this video was about.

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
Actually, forget the horrible photoshop job on Tali, I want some of the drones to explain this one:

Bioware puts more effort into modelling a ****ing robot's vagina than they do on the entire Quarian race.

But seriously, forget about the fact that a robot has giant bags of sand and a cooch that would make any weeaboo's wet dream come true... Can someone please explain to me why the ship's AI would need a graphical visor displaying errors or problems with the ship? Isn't she THE ****ING SHIP?! Wouldn't anything concerning the ship status be beamed directly into her AI?

Then again, they completely screwed the pooch with Quarian lore, why would I even expect modern day Bioware to get something so basic and logical correct?

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Personally I am just disappointed in how phoned in this thing was. If they couldn't set aside some time to create the picture (which I highly doubt, having your art team create a photo should be fairly easy to do) or they couldn't agree on what to make the quarians look like, they should have left the question unanswered. The stock photo also leaves us with a lot of plot holes. Who took the picture? Why is she outside her environment suit? when did she find time to take a photo on the quarian homeworld while no one was paying attention? Lastly the picture itself is just terribly doctored. She looks like she lost her last two fingers and not that she has three is probably my main complaint. It makes me disappointed but it didn't ruin my romance with Tali or the rest of the game. Just don't get me started on the ending

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
icnfde said:
Actually, forget the horrible photoshop job on Tali, I want some of the drones to explain this one:

Are you in the desert.. cause I see a camel toe

OT:

I'm not scanning through 200+ replies to look for it, but I think they shoulda paid this guy to come up with a full body for her.

I clicked preivew and it came up. I know sometimes the boards likes to trick us into thinking it does.

But really, they should've done that.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Ok, so I think I can safely say that ME3 critics has officially divided themselves into two camps:

1. Those who are searching for reasons to complain because the Mass Effect games are overrated in their opinion
2. Those who have legitimate criticisms

For those of you who would like to avoid all the hate and anger spewed on every forum about ME3, here's a quick guide into how to discern whether you are running into Type 1 or Type 2 People.

Type 1 People ***** about Day 1 DLC despite the fact that it's not essential to the overall game, and complain that you have to pay $870 for the "full game" when the full game costs $60 and everything else that is DLC related is bonus material you can choose to buy at your own discretion. They complain about sending copies into space because the promotion idea was offensively stupid to them, and they make broad generalizing statements about how the art and gameplay aren't any good when information about using a stock photo appears.They tend to either boycott the game entirely, proving they have absolutely no backing for many of their comments (not saying there aren't legitimate reasons to boycott if you really hate EA, but those aren't the people I'm talking about), or talk about how much they hate the game but have played through every ending within a week of its release.

Type 2 People are frustrated about how the endings don't feel right (i.e. don't match the tone the series has established up until this point) and don't provide the closure they should. They are fine with stock photography in certain cases, but feel as if more attention should have been paid to the characters with whom they've formed a relationship, and they're pretty respectful while discussing this type of thing. To get to this point of criticism, they've usually played through the game and enjoyed parts of it very much, but were saddened by some major missteps along the way.

This thread has reminded me that the Type 1 people will always be louder and more obnoxious than the type 2 people, which in turn hurts the entire gaming community that could have learned a lesson from this whole thing if everyone had simply remained logical and respectful. But no, this is the internet, so we have a whole bunch of people that just want to complain from a place of superiority they've never had and never will.

Kahldris71

Jun 1, 2011
@witty name here the second link shows what i always imagined tali would look like, i wonder if i can put into the game as the picture rather then that lazy hackjob.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
...This is controversy...? I don't understand why people do this...

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
*snip-Keelah se'lai*
Ah, I see. Judging by your spoiler, I'm guessing you didn't get the chance to make peace between the two, did you? Well, as a tip for your future playthroughs, you need to have a certain amount of 'peace points', and a rather high reputation. Four bars worth, I believe.

1: You get 2 points for completing Talis Loyalty mission from Mass Effect 2, where she does not get exiled. I'm not sure if that counts whether or not you use evidence from the Alarei, but I would think not.

2: You get 1 point for using either the Paragon or Renegade option to settle the dispute between Tali and Legion in Mass Effect 2.

3: You get 2 points for Destroying the Heretic Geth in Legions Loyalty mission. Rewriting does not get you anything.

4: In Mass Effect 3, you have 2 more points you can get, completing the two other missions on Rannoch, by Saving Admiral Koris for 1 point, and disabling the Geth Fighters that are targeting Liveships for another.

To get peace, you need a total of 5 'peace points', and as I said above, at least four bars full of reputation. I'll say that its easier on a second playthrough, since you strangely keep a full reputation if you end the game with a full meter.

Personally, I love the emotion of the best outcome between the Quarians and Geth, not to mention it gives the ending, which will not be elaborated here, a giant middle finger. That, and it greatly helps the Quarians in the long run.

And my captcha is tesla coil? Strangely appropriate.