Bioware Working on a New IP

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Casey Hudson?

Well done, Bioware/EA marketing department. This is the type of thing you leave to the ending credits as the first name to pop up - if the ending is good. That's how you redeem someone.

You don't scuttle your new IP before it's even been announced by mentioning the lead writer is the person who managed to single-handedly destroy your greatest grossing IP ever.

Idiots.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Hopefully it will deviate from their standard "You are the chosen one, now go fight this evil legend come to life" plot that they've held on to.

Also, in regards to Casey Hudson...the ending to Mass Effect 3 was a total disaster but did the entire internet conveniently forget that without him KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the entire Mass Effect trilogy would not exist? How quickly the people turn...
Gamers are irritatingly fickle. If something goes wrong they're quick to find a scapegoat and demand they be burned at the stake

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
What's this witch hunt about? Give the guy a chance, wait for reviews before you bad mouth the new IP

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Ishigami said:
Please don't suck, please don't suck.
And while we are at it: Don't be an MMO and don't be for any hand-held devices.

Legion said:
"Oh. Casey Hudson is working on it."
Is there something wrong with that?
He also worked on BG2, SW:KotR, NWN and ME1 and those were good the last time I checked... (I'm pretty indifferent towards Jade Empire)
Yeah, but he was surrounded by more capable people. The more autonomy he has, the worse the games have become. He is also a vigorous lier, too much worried about PR. Several things he said about ME3 weren't in the game - and he said those things after the game was ready, just two months prior to the launch.

"There are many different endings. We wouldn?t do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?? "It won't be an A, B or C ending..." and so on...

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
2clueless said:
Anyone else just kind of shrug at this? Anyone else just kind of tired of Bioware/EA?

I am getting sick unto death of news and press releases by these guys. All the market'ing in the world is not going to inspire confidence or win back goodwill and loyalty from fans of gaming past. Only good games will do that. So, shush up, get out from under the spot light, work quietly but passionately for a few years, come back with stuff that will blow our socks off.

If it is great, I will play it. But I have no faith at the moment that it will be great.
I really agree with that. Relying on PR to hype their games is not a good strategy at the moment. Specially a game that is actually just an idea and has nothing concrete behind it.

A good time to reveal a new IP in Bioware's case would be when the work is almost done and revealing some impressive screenshots and great new gameplay ideas.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Ukomba said:
They really just need to get out from under the thumb of EA.
This much of what ills bioware is being under the EA flag.

Way DLC was handled in me3 is a perfect example of that. Especially if that DLC character was reportedly the catylist and the whole plot had to be reworked so EA could cram it into DLC that only people bought the game new got. In that light the whole ending fiasco makes much more sense.

Look bioware still makes great games, me3 was great despite the ending, the whole game was tighter, better looking, and played better than me1 or 2 most of the annoying scanning exploration stuff gone, me3 was a superior game in most every way and a 9/10 game if you forget the ending entirely.

tor has it problems but it was a solid game, yes it was lacking features compared to other mmos, but most other mmos that had several pay expansions under their belt by that point. and wows pvp system was just as half arsed and lacking as tors no ranks system well into its launch before it was fixed to a degree. its story hook was a good hook and some of the class stories were solid. it sure made the content more interesting to plow through if you were one that enjoyed some story in their mmo and some lore.

now its major problem is the "f2p" system they thrust upon it. one of the worst in the industry.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Dragon Age and Mass Effect are definitely my top franchises. Pretty much the stable for Sci-Fi/Fantasy adventure for console people.

I really wonder what other fantasy world they are gonna explore. Maybe a modern day RPG.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Ed130 said:
Once upon a time an announcement like this would have been met with me going 'squeeee!'

Now all it will get is 'meh.'

Amazing how a few mediocre games and a shitty ending can change my perspective of a developer.
Fixed that for you to reflect DA2 as well as ME3 (maybe some TOR)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
StewShearer said:
According to Hudson, he and his team at Bioware Edmonton, the studio that made Mass Effect, are working with Preston Watamaniuk, Bioware's Senior Creative Director, to develop the new property. Outside of those bare details, Hudson and Bioware have offered no other hints as to what the new game will be. Hudson did confirm, however, that this new IP would not be interfering with his work overseeing the development of the next Mass Effect game, which is being made by Bioware Montreal.
God fucking dammit...

Now he's gonna ruin the next Me game and a new IP...

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
That's the way - instead of fixing the old shit they just leave it as it is and start bringing out new shit that's getting runied halfway through...

Great, just great...

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
cerebus23 said:
Ukomba said:
They really just need to get out from under the thumb of EA.
This much of what ills bioware is being under the EA flag.

[...]
now its major problem is the "f2p" system they thrust upon it. one of the worst in the industry.
There is a petition going on, on GOG.com to buy EA.
Please support it!
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/buy_out_ea

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
This is probably the last chance most people are willing to give this company. If this new IP is up to the standard of quality achieved previous to DA2 and ME3, I will be quite happy to purchase and enjoy it. If not, I think that companies like CD Projeck Red will easily fill the gap left by Bioware.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Poor Casey, never going to catch a break. I'm all for a new IP. It's a good way to start fresh and change the type of pressure.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I pass no judgement until I see the product. The announcement of a new IP with no other details is neither cause for celebration nor derision nor despair. See the product, then judge it on it's merits.

As far as I'm concerned, BioWare has never made a truly bad game. They made a couple average ones and one with a bad ending, but I can't say these are bad games. They work, they usually have gameplay that isn't a complete slog, and, in the least, they are willing to try different things, for good and bad. DA 2 wasn't just DA:O with a different story, it had similar gameplay with a few new mechanics and a much more interesting execution. Mages were still overpowered, but not as much so for your side, I hated the invincible bullshit mode and disappearing act enemy mages could pull, but it provided challenge, and a great use for stuns. The story wasn't fantastic, but it plays an important role in the greater Mage vs. Templar narrative they want to weave. Remember, even shitty Bioware writing stands head and shoulders above most other games. ME2 completely revamped the combat of ME1, a bit too much streamlining in my opinion, but it was a pretty massive change. ME3 found kind of a happy balance between the two. It had the worst ending, but the best gameplay.

talideon

Mar 18, 2011
Legion said:
My second thought, once I started reading the article was:

"Oh. Casey Hudson is working on it."

All things considered, this may be the chance for Bioware to gain back some lost fans. As long as this project isn't rushed out the door, and has more focus than the last few (rather than trying to please absolutely everybody), they may be able to make something really good.
Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine. You never know, if he's feeling really creative and adventurous, there might be up to five different colours in the ending!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would like an rpg game in the modern world. No more future sci fi like Mass Effect, no more old day settings like Dragon Age. Something set now days would be awesome and a change.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Deer Bioware,
Die in a fire.

Sincerely Mikeyfell
P.S. Fuck you all.

You see, the old me would have said a new IP was just what they needed, but then I remembered just how bad Mass Effect 3 was and it made me evaluate my moral standings.
Is there a line?
Can it be crossed?
Once crossed can it be uncrossed?

If there is a line that can be crossed did Mass Effect 3's awfulness not cross that line?
I'm sorry but they don't deserve a second chance... oh wait I mean a third chance I almost forgot about Dragon Age 2 for a second there.