Bioware Working on a New IP

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
For the first time ever I will say this about a new BioWare project in the works:

I don't give a shit.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I thought I smelled jilted fanboy...

I'll be entertained in seeing what they come up with. Bioware have proven themselves to be pretty proficient world-builders in the past, and much as people might not have liked the endless repeating dungeons of DA2 or not being permitted to marry their space waifu in ME3, both of those universes are very well done at their core.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Ed130 said:
Once upon a time an announcement like this would have been met with me going 'squeeee!'

Now all it will get is 'meh.'

Amazing how a few mediocre games and a shitty ending can change my perspective of a developer.
Fixed that for you to reflect DA2 as well as ME3 (maybe some TOR)
I managed to miss that particular shit bullet so I can't comment on the quality of the rest of ME3, but watching the endings on youtube (both original and EC) was enough to condemn that part of the game.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Ldude893 said:
You are not Bioware. You disrespect Bioware's memory by wearing its face, but you're nothing like it.
They haven't even done anything to show the quality of what they're making and you're already judging it...yeah, this is good. You bring shame to yourself by judging something based on very little details and a prejudice for certain people whom made a product/s that you did not enjoy. Ever thought that maybe the game was fine and that it was just not your flavour? Because that tends to be forgotten around these forums. Instead of just thinking, "Maybe I just didn't like it" people tend to attack a company for making a perfectly fine product. Bioware is still a good company, they've proven that, but people like you just seem to want to hate.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nah, I'm good.
I'm not even sure it will be terrible, but I am very decidedly 'meh' about the whole thing.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Oh, good! I was afraid they were gonna get stuck doing nothing but DA, ME and SWTOR until we got sick of it all and EA gutted them for good.

I still think they can make good games. I've just had to change my expectations. I used to call them the Pixar of videogames, churning out awesome hit after hit, but now they're just another talented studio with some recent fuck ups that show they're far from perfect.

....actually, based on the last two Pixar movies, Bioware is still the Pixar of videogames. Funny, I didn't think about that until just now.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Raesvelg said:
I thought I smelled jilted fanboy...

I'll be entertained in seeing what they come up with. Bioware have proven themselves to be pretty proficient world-builders in the past, and much as people might not have liked the endless repeating dungeons of DA2 or not being permitted to marry their space waifu in ME3, both of those universes are very well done at their core.
It is important to note that the universes were created on DA1 and ME1 - DA2 and ME3 were full of inconsistencies and plot holes and added nothing to said universes.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Nope... No, nein, nah, non, etc. etc. Bioware can go join Rare in the list of companies I used to adore but now could not give a damn about.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Well it's not a bad idea. A fresh IP could be a good thing to have around. It might also be nice to have it be a lone IP which never gets expanded on. It seems that whenever they expand an IP's universe that's when everything starts to come crumbling down. ME1 was praised, ME2 some praise some meh, ME3 blew up. KotOR was praised, SWTOR not so much. DA:O was praised, DA2 not so much ( I'm one of the few who prefers DA2 to DA:O). The only time this hasn't been a big problem is when it comes to the Forgotten Realms games. But those have always be niche titles to begin with.

A lot of people will say that the later ones are worse because they try to have mainstream appeal by dumbing down combat and such. But really the combat from what I've seen has always improved in later titles (haven't played ME3 yet so can't be positive about this). Going from something like ME1 and DA:O to ME2 and DA2 is just an amazing lesson on how to streamline the core components of an RPG into more basic fundamental experiences. No, the real problem is whenever they try to carry the story from one game to another. Some of the best story from the last title gets skipped over or avoided all together and some of the worst parts come front and center. The interesting choices you make become watered down and unintelligible so that it is more easy to fit them into the cohesive whole to account for all the choices that others made. Whenever they carry story over from one game to the next it becomes muddled, confusing, and terrible and it shows in the horrible one-note main plot that the whole thing revolves around.

So I'm all for a new IP... IF THEY ONLY MAKE ONE GAME OUT OF IT.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I'm down for this. I hope they do put in some new stuff along side the cache of cliches (eh, eh, wordplay?). The cliches aren't bad because the worlds and characters are always fantastic, so they fade out, but more adventures are to be had when the protagonist is a nobody who meets another nobody instead of a god meeting a god.

If they need ideas, I would like to see an RPG based on freaking any non-white mythology, preferably South American. It's just so interesting and isn't really visited much by literature in general.

CriticalMiss said:
I heard a rumour that the multiple endings of this game will be yellow, orange and purple. You can't say Bioware aren't innovative!
Wait! This narrows it down. Judging by those colors, the game must take place during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. You play as a parade employee, and you must build the greatest float ever, lest someone else win the title and DESTROY THE WORLD. Companions include the best damn float driver this side of the Mississippi, a promiscuous but TOTALLY IN CONTROL person with just a little too many beads, an ancient voodoo priestess kept alive by goat sacrifice who knows the secrets of Mardi Gras passed, a gay racist float decorator who you the protagonist must teach the value of love, and a little girl who is possessed by the spirit of a dead plantation owner, and lastly, of course, the bumbling woman who is just so fascinated by the default male protagonist and the generically handsome man voiced by Raphael Sbarge who compliments a female protagonist three times before saying he loves her and needs her.

GENIUS!

Nov 28, 2007
And this is why the game industry is stagnating. People demand new ideas, but as soon as a new idea is announced, people turn up their noses because of who is making them. And you wonder why companies seem to be content to pump out "the same crap". Because if they don't, they have nothing to sell on.

You know what we know about this IP? It will exist, and Casey Hudson is involved. And yet, everyone seems content to ignore the game, just because one person is involved. No wonder people think the industry is going to crash.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
New IPs i like. i want more new IPs and less sequels. but, will it follow the Bioware Cliche matrix?
[http://politetimesplitter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/bioware-cliche-chart.png]
Click for large size

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
StewShearer said:
Bioware Working on a New IP
Yippie!

StewShearer said:
Bioware's Casey Hudson has revealed that he and others within the company are developing a new franchise.
Ahh crap!

Seriously Bioware, understand that most of us lost faith in you after what Hudson did to Mass Effect, lose the game breaker and we'll talk again