BioWare's Latest Franchise is Not Quite What We Expected

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Sanunes said:
What I am curious to know is if this is the "New IP" the Mass Effect team is working on, which it doesn't to me for it doesn't have the feeling of a team that has working on major titles before or is it the project that they announced they were working on with Failbetter, which makes more sense to me for seems like it has element from both companies current games.
It's not the IP the Mass Effect team is working on. And if it has the feel of a team that's never worked on a major title before then that's actually kind of funny since they made SW:TOR.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Vivi22 said:
IanDavis said:
So, that's one more iron in the fire for BioWare, who also has [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11657-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Demo-Your-Stories-are-Thedas-Stories]Dragon Age Inquisition[/a] and a new Mass Effect game in the works.
Considering there's three separate development teams named Bioware (only one being the team that made the games the company is known for), it's not really another iron in the fire for them. It's a third team working on it's own game while the two other teams separately work on the games you mentioned as well.

I really hate this naming scheme EA came up with because it seems specifically designed to fool people into thinking the same team that made KOTOR and the Mass Effect series is making other games that they really have almost nothing to do with. Even worse is that most people, media outlets included, don't seem to notice. This game is being made by the team that made The Old Republic for the record, while the Montreal team, which as far as I know has never actually completed a game on their own, is making the new Mass Effect.
I agree with you about the Austin team, but the Montreal team I would have more faith in only because it seems to be an expansion studio from Edmonton and not just an EA "lets rename this to BioWare to fool people" approach. From my recollection the Montreal has worked on Mass Effect 2 and 3 DLC and worked on the multiplayer aspect of Mass Effect 3 and it sounds like even though the majority of the next Mass Effect game is being done in Montreal they are working with people in Edmonton unlike Austin which seems to keep to itself.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Sanunes said:
What I am curious to know is if this is the "New IP" the Mass Effect team is working on, which it doesn't to me for it doesn't have the feeling of a team that has working on major titles before or is it the project that they announced they were working on with Failbetter, which makes more sense to me for seems like it has element from both companies current games.
It's not the IP the Mass Effect team is working on. And if it has the feel of a team that's never worked on a major title before then that's actually kind of funny since they made SW:TOR.
I didn't think it was the entire SWTOR team, but just one or two people from that team, for even The Old Republic looks more interesting to me then this.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meeeeeeeeeeeh.

Episodic storytelling through 100% online multiplayer?

Does that sound like a needlessly convoluted way of saying "lacklustre clusterfuck" to anyone else?

"Urban fantasy" can fuck right off too.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
When has it worked with their own games?

*cough* TOR *cough*

Somehow I think that EA forced Bioware to do this, and if thats the case - EA, just let them make the RPGs that they want to. Stop with the gimmicky shit and let them make some proper RPGs that everybody would enjoy and would actually be profitable.
The narrative actually worked really, really well with TOR. Say what you will about that game, but its problems were not in the storytelling.

Its problems were that Bioware had never made an MMO before and EA has no idea how to properly manage one. The professions and endgame were borked to fuck and back, completely unsustainable for an MMO and rife with fairly basic design problems. Not to mention the bugs.

Vivi22 said:
I really hate this naming scheme EA came up with because it seems specifically designed to fool people into thinking the same team that made KOTOR and the Mass Effect series is making other games that they really have almost nothing to do with.
That's exactly what it is. Brand-name abuse at its worst.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Klonoa Prower said:
The concept sounds interesting, but you can bet that the execution is going to be terrible.
Not to write this off before we even see gameplay, but yes, I agree.

I was actually enticed by Titanfall because of the concept of storytelling in a multiplayer environment. The storyline effectively devolved into "You, you there. Yes, you. You and your arse-rocket buddies will go here and secure that whilst a black guy has a moral breakdown, a South African laughs whilst killing people and a woman makes masculine jokes so we can call it progress."

The combination doesn't work... yet.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
didn't bioware absorb what used to be mythic at some point? of there was any of the talent that daoc left in that place this could work. also yeah for urban fantasy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, I admit, it wasn't what I expected. Neither was the ending to Lost, and that wasn't a good thing.

I have a feeling I'll be referencing Lost and Heroes a lot as more information comes out.

CriticalMiss said:
BioWare says that it will feature a "constantly evolving story as new cliff-hanger episodes are released regularly with intriguing characters and impactful choices
Impactful? So at least five colours for the endings? More coloured endings than all of the other 4v1 online multiplayer games anyway. Take that Fable Legends!
This more or less summed up why I feel the way I do. I don't trust Bioware on their narrative at this point, and they've given me no reason to recently. Now they're promising a big narrative with choices (haven't heard that one before) in a game that's still a online game for 5 people. So I'm thinking a MMO-style generic story (which Bioware already has experience with) plus pretty colours that let us play "how we want."

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
*barfs* Oh, God why?! *barfs some more* You had such a great idea! *drowns in barf*

We get it, Evolve is looking good. But that doesn't mean you need to copy them. Just make it a standard-rpg please! You have such a good idea!

Bergthor86

Dec 6, 2013
Vivi22 said:
I really hate this naming scheme EA came up with because it seems specifically designed to fool people into thinking the same team that made KOTOR and the Mass Effect series is making other games that they really have almost nothing to do with. Even worse is that most people, media outlets included, don't seem to notice. This game is being made by the team that made The Old Republic for the record, while the Montreal team, which as far as I know has never actually completed a game on their own, is making the new Mass Effect.
I'd just like to point out that BioWare Austin is not BioWare in name only, at least not entirely. I don't know very much about them, as I primarily follow BioWare Canada, but the Creative Director at Austin is James Ohlen, who was a lead designer for BG2, NWN, KotOR and DAO. Just throwing that piece of info out there...

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
From what little I could tell from the trailer (seriously I would it kill you to stay on something longer than two seconds, or would that make it easier to spot the flaws?) I was not at all impressed. First of all 4v1 online only multiplayer...yeah that's original isn't that right Evolve? Second everything looked so generic and dull but then again it was hard to make anything out before randomly cutting to black every few seconds. And third "impactful choices"? Call me skeptical but I highly doubt that.

Honestly I was already non hyped for this game and this just continues that trend for me. Maybe once I can get a real look at in action it will look better but I'm still not impressed.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Agayek said:
So this is an online multiplayer game primarily focused on telling a narrative?

Has Bioware, like, missed the last five years? When has that ever worked?
I can give you a fairly long list of boardgames that follow this very scheme that are doing VERY well. If Bioware can capture that in a console or PC game, they have a very nice IP on their hands.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
"Shadow Realms"
Okay, We have a name.
"modern urban fantasy world"
This is starting to sound like something familiar.
"You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system"
Wait, I've seen a system like this before. I've gotta reread that...
"That's right, Shadow Realms focuses exclusively on 4v1 co-op multiplayer. Four players play as heroes who awaken in the modern world with magical powers. They'll team up to battle the Shadowlord, who sets traps, controls minions, and can alter the battlefield. You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system."

Are Catalyst Labs calling their lawyers yet? Because Shadowrun's already been created.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm more interested in the possibility of Obsidian doing something with Pathfinder:

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/08/obsidian-pathfinder-banner-spotted-at-gen-con

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I read this thread, heard mentions of Evolve and Fable legends. As I was looking for something like this to play with friends I loo them up and, to my surprise none of them had actually been released yet. So people are comparing unreleased games based on PR speak now, that seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do. Anyway if we are yelling at Bioware for copying stuff, I'll throw out Giant: Citizen Kabuto, doing the asymmetric multi-player also with base building, 10 years ago (Also by Interplay because apparently they are cool again).

But seriously, evolve looks like your normal FPS, this setting allows for some unique shooter classes if they go that way or a pretty sweet action RPG, but Australian internet would make that a pain play with out lag. As these are the same guys that did SWTOR, the story could either be brilliant or pretty bland. Some of the classes were sick like Agent and one of the Sith, the other Sith was boring but not awful, never got around to the rest. SWTOR would have been a great RPG if it had been like SaGa Frontier, but they would have had to find a different way to fund it, sort of like the Telltale model but charging more.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Meh, I love everything BioWare but this has not managed to catch my interest at all. Sounds like one of those indie games I stay well clear from.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Yaaaaa....Bioware...oh how I used to love you, now look at what you have become. I will not be playing this cause..."online multiplayer"...if there were ever 2 words that would deter me from a game, it is that.