BioWare's Latest Franchise is Not Quite What We Expected

THE_JOKE_KING33

Jul 17, 2012
The fact that it's multiplayer only absolutely killed any interest I had in this previously. Before, based off of the teasers I was expecting something akin to InFamous or Heroes, but now? Meh.

grey_space said:
themutantlizard said:
online multyplayer only no single player? I'll pass
This. Fuck off Bioware. Your last foray into online worldbuilding wasn't exactly the most successful in the world was it?

Which is a shame because a single player Urban Fantasy RPG would interest me a great deal.

Why oh why does everything have to be multiplayer?
^Pretty much this.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My interest in this game has vanished.

Seriously, only online multiplayer episodic content? Geez Bioware, look what EA has turned you in to.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I couldn't see what the fuck was going on in this trailer because the lighting was so dark and it kept shifting from one thing to the next so quickly.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So... it's like Shadowrun crossed with Left 4 Dead with Guild Wars 2 style episodic storytelling.

I'm gonna need more than that to get excited, guys.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
My thoughts, in order:

1) That is the lamest, blandest title of all time.
2) Episodic? Like Alan Wake or Telltale? Interesting either way.
3) Multiplayer only huh? Guess this was a pointless thought exercise. What a waste of a potentially interesting setting.

Seriously, there's pretty much no way this is going to be worth anyone's time. Such a disappointment.
These are pretty much all of my thoughts.

However, since it's a new IP, I'll cut it some slack and hope that things look better in the future. Last thing we want is for everyone to keep playing it safe by releasing sequel after sequel. Still, this needs to be a lot better before I even consider getting it.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Klonoa Prower said:
The concept sounds interesting, but you can bet that the execution is going to be terrible.
Pretty much my expectations, as well. Love to be proven wrong on this, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Last time I did that, I turned blue.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Huh, you know, I'm not usually hot for any of those individual aspects, but for some reason I'm interested.
I don't know, if I can get my friends on it, this might be a fun ride.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
While I enjoy Secret World (and this game smacks of the same idea), I think I will likely pass on this one. Rarely have I enjoyed MP based games with no SP element (only notable exception being SWTOR...and that only b/c I've never played WoW).

I'm just not in the habit of relying on others to help me enjoy a good story. Nor am I a gamer who even LIKES MP modes, most of the time, aside from the occasional distraction.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Daymo said:
I read this thread, heard mentions of Evolve and Fable legends. As I was looking for something like this to play with friends I loo them up and, to my surprise none of them had actually been released yet. So people are comparing unreleased games based on PR speak now, that seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do. Anyway if we are yelling at Bioware for copying stuff, I'll throw out Giant: Citizen Kabuto, doing the asymmetric multi-player also with base building, 10 years ago (Also by Interplay because apparently they are cool again).

But seriously, evolve looks like your normal FPS, this setting allows for some unique shooter classes if they go that way or a pretty sweet action RPG, but Australian internet would make that a pain play with out lag. As these are the same guys that did SWTOR, the story could either be brilliant or pretty bland. Some of the classes were sick like Agent and one of the Sith, the other Sith was boring but not awful, never got around to the rest. SWTOR would have been a great RPG if it had been like SaGa Frontier, but they would have had to find a different way to fund it, sort of like the Telltale model but charging more.
Well you see people have to complain about a game being a copy until a half dozen games come out that use a design space before they realize its just a genera. As far as we know these games simply have as much in common as any two multiplier shooters or random rts games but since we have enough of those they don't instantly get called copycats as that would be stupid.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nope. Not even a little.

1. It's 4v1 co-op. And it's story focused. If that's all true, it seems kinda pointless to play it with random assmunchers you picked up on the internet. Also, no single player = no purchase. If I want to play a multiplayer only game, I'll get a free one.

2. Episodic. NOPE!!! I'm not against episodic gaming in general, but let's face it, it's EA - episodes will be short, overpriced and not worth it, while the base game will be cut down and mutilated to turn as much of it into Day 1 DLC. The whole thing stinks of a new DLC platform more than an actual game.

Overall, not interested in the slightest. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Prepare to watch this one crash and burn...

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Y'know, reading over all these comments and how many of them state the same points, this could be a topic for a Jimquisition episode. It has pretty much all the hallmarks of what he criticizes on a fairly regular basis. Hm, well, I'd certainly be interested to see what Jim has to say about this if that happens.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Even the font looks like its lifted from Shadowrun. Ah well, may still give it a sniffle and see whats what when its out, plagiarised or not.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Story focused + online co-op? Oh dear, I do believe Bioware has magnificently flopped my interest.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I'm unconvinced by the whole 4v1 thing, I have serious doubts about Fable: Legends for the same reason. Partly the gameplay mechanics are just new ground to me. But mostly because I feel that story always goes right out the door the moment there's another player in the game. I like to walk through a story at my own pace, enjoy the scenery, but you can't do that if you have other people pushing ahead because they've done it before or just don't care about the story. I'll give it a go because I do like the setting concept and Bioware does still have some good will left, but I'm not as excited as I would hope to be over a new Bioware IP.

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
Story and coop mixed together - seems like a great idea. It worked so well in KOTOR... Everyone just loves to sit around with 4 random people and listen to 10 minutes of exposition over and over again.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
The fact that it's online only is one of the reasons why I can't beb othered with it. EA is the other one.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Lame. I love you Bioware but this looks shit.

The teaser trailers looked like it could be some cool Horror-RPG and that sounded interesting but this is not what I expected, not wanted. It's funny, on the Bioware forums they aren't interested in this either. I think I will give this a miss for now.

P.S. This is from Bioware Austin team (the people behind Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO) and not the Edmonton team. They are working on Mass Effect and also an (unannounced) new IP.

Delta21

Feb 22, 2011
Isn't this essentially "Evolve", with the exception that they have changed the Alien vs Marines theme with Demon vs Demon hunters?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anyone else get a really strong Hunter: The Reckoning vibe from this premise? And I don't mean the video game, I mean the actual White Wolf rpg game of the same name from several years ago.