BioWare's Latest Franchise is Not Quite What We Expected

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
I spent a few hours going through the videos, figuring out what was going on. It's a hack and slash. It had my interest and then in one fell swoop... It killed whatever interest I had. Though, I called what the premise was going to be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Anyone else get a really strong Hunter: The Reckoning vibe from this premise? And I don't mean the video game, I mean the actual White Wolf rpg game of the same name from several years ago.
I think it's a little early to accuse them of deceptive advertising.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Anti-American Eagle said:
Are Catalyst Labs calling their lawyers yet? Because Shadowrun's already been created.
As long as they don't incorporate elves and orcs as playable races, I think they'll be alright.

razaelsrevenge

Oct 20, 2013
1) Stop with the constant need to throw online multiplayer games at people. Usually, and there are exceptions to this rule, but usually your standard RPG enthusiast is a loner. Plain and simple. They'd be hard pressed to find even one other person who shares their passion for RPG's to play this with. Sure, I can see how "Well it's an MMO, so you will be surrounded by people of a like mind" Not true. You'll probably just have a bunch of d-bags on there, or since we're all pretty apt to be loners, a bunch of people on there who do not want to interact with anyone for fear of the general populace being d-bags. Stop with forcing us to have to be social. Stop with forcing multiplayer down our throats. It worked with WoW because there were already 3 RTS games before it that fleshed out the lore and the world, and people were interested in it prior to it just being an MMO.

2) The setting and everything sounds interested enough, I give it that. The episodic storytelling seems a bit...weird. But, it's going to be one of those things that's either going to be a horrible failure, or extremely successful. I see the game itself being this way, too. I don't think there's going to be much of a grey area for anyone here.

3) 4v1? Okay....so this is probably going to start becoming a trend now I guess? I haven't seen how well it actually works in execution(I'm not a PC gamer, so if there are already games like this out on PC, sorry.) Leveling up playing either role? Again...another trend I guess? Can you actually pick which role you want to play though?

I guess it all boils down to its release though, if it gets released. I just expected something more from Bioware. Seems like they are just jumping on the pop culture of gaming train with this one, like so many other devs/publishers out there.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Jandau said:
Nope. Not even a little.

1. It's 4v1 co-op. And it's story focused. If that's all true, it seems kinda pointless to play it with random assmunchers you picked up on the internet. Also, no single player = no purchase. If I want to play a multiplayer only game, I'll get a free one.

2. Episodic. NOPE!!! I'm not against episodic gaming in general, but let's face it, it's EA - episodes will be short, overpriced and not worth it, while the base game will be cut down and mutilated to turn as much of it into Day 1 DLC. The whole thing stinks of a new DLC platform more than an actual game.

Overall, not interested in the slightest. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Prepare to watch this one crash and burn...
I wish to argue with you on this.

I can't. I really just can't. But I REALLY wish I could. This trailer looked cheaply made and put together (Call Blizz, and see how they make their trailers. Finely polished, and not showing a touch of gameplay..)

I'm not against 4v1 gameplay, but there NEEDS to be a single player element, if for no other reason that to learn the game. The reason Team Fortress was such a big hit was it started as essentially a Half-life skin. We ALL know Half-life.

And I totally agree with Episodic being silly. I'll wait. Gimme the damn game, cause I GUARANTEE I'll beat it in less time than you think.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Well, you can all be as huffy about this reveal as you like, but I think it looks awesome. There's honestly not enough Urban Fantasy in games (Shadowrun doesn't have a monopoly on it, this isn't even remotely close to plagiarism), and the more games with a dungeon-master style component to them, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

If you don't like online games, don't play online games. For my buddies and me, though, this game seems to be just what we were looking for.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
*Sees posts lambasting a co-op function and cries of multi-player only never working
*Remmbers L4D and its sequel being immensely popular by being co-op (yes you can play by yourself but the game sucks that way)
*Wonders if gamers here think only Valve can do that and other dev's can go fuck themselves...

I'll give it a chance, but lets see what it looks like near release instead of panning a trailer.

Anti-American Eagle said:
"Shadow Realms"
Okay, We have a name.
"modern urban fantasy world"
This is starting to sound like something familiar.
"You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system"
Wait, I've seen a system like this before. I've gotta reread that...
"That's right, Shadow Realms focuses exclusively on 4v1 co-op multiplayer. Four players play as heroes who awaken in the modern world with magical powers. They'll team up to battle the Shadowlord, who sets traps, controls minions, and can alter the battlefield. You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system."

Are Catalyst Labs calling their lawyers yet? Because Shadowrun's already been created.
William Gibson should be suing the makers of Shadowrun for ripping off Neuromancer (except the Orks/Trolls and magic part).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Gotta love how next to nothing has been revealed about the game, but people are so eager to tear into Bioware and EA that it's not stopping people from using what they have to absolutely crucify this game.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Gotta love how next to nothing has been revealed about the game, but people are so eager to tear into Bioware and EA that it's not stopping people from using what they have to absolutely crucify this game.
It's not because it's Bioware or EA (which are the same entity by the way). Any studio that would made a campaign like this, with several teasers, with lot of marketing and "look at us" to finnaly show... nothing substantial would have to face lot of critics.
It would have been the same, i can speak only for me of course, if any other big studio would made this kind of thing.

They interviewed themselves... It's not a journalist or a neutral person that made it, it's was an EA guy and they showed NOTHING. I won't even speak about the 4 minutes gameplay, one player and three bots against bots (yes because only the female assassin is playable in one level).

They had nothing to show. Or they were rushed to make this fan event. They have lot of ideas but until it's concetre, i don't see the point to make this kind of event (Bioware or not, i would have the same reaction if Telltale would tease a RTS or Activision a RPG !)

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It's not because it's Bioware or EA (which are the same entity by the way). Any studio that would made a campaign like this, with several teasers, with lot of marketing and "look at us" to finnaly show... nothing substantial would have to face lot of critics.
Yes, critics talking about how very little of substance was shown after the hype, not the exact opposite of taking that little bit of substance and extrapolating bullshit from it about how it must be shit. Legitimately or not, Bioware is on a lot of peoples insta-shit list.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It would have been the same, i can speak only for me of course, if any other big studio would made this kind of thing.

They interviewed themselves... It's not a journalist or a neutral person that made it, it's was an EA guy and they showed NOTHING. I won't even speak about the 4 minutes gameplay, one player and three bots against bots (yes because only the female assassin is playable in one level).

They had nothing to show. Or they were rushed to make this fan event. They have lot of ideas but until it's concetre, i don't see the point to make this kind of event (Bioware or not, i would have the same reaction if Telltale would tease a RTS or Activision a RPG !)
That might be true of you, but read through these comments and tell me that a lot of the vitriol isn't from people who are still spiteful over Mass Effect 3 or just EA in general.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
no single player?

no sale... I've only like two multiplayer games and my interest soon abated when I realized the people I was playing with were assbutts!

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Honestly, if anyone other than Bioware were developing this game, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But Bioware have demonstrated that they know how to make a game that engages with it's gameplay as well as it's story, and the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was admittedly brilliant (Aside from the fucking random class unlock system).

I would still rather Bioware not devote their energy to multiplayer games, because that genre has a lot of baggage, and as demonstrated by SWTOR, Bioware do have a bad habit of sticking to an established formula even when it doesn't work.

So while I have confidence in Bioware's ability to design games, multiplayer never really interests me; all that it usually does is hinder the game's resources, for a feature I personally don't want.

I'm also not confident in this story concept; my guess is that it's some kind of community polling system, which is just a recipe for the tyranny of the majority.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like someone at BioWare has been playing Descent: Journeys into the Dark board game (awesome game, btw, if you're into dungeon crawl board games) or the Mansions of Madness board game (great horror game for anyone into the Cthulhu and Arkham from Lovecraft mythos), both of which have the exact same kind of gameplay and have been around a lot longer. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or trying to poo-poo BioWare for doing something that a board game already does (most innovations and new ideas are simple old ones with a little window-dressing). In fact, depending on how BioWare implements the mechanics, it could be quite interesting. The only real monkey-wrench I could see in the idea is the players themselves. We all know the online gaming community has an extremely high asshole-troll concentration. Although, if they really style it after a game like DJITD, then there shouldn't be too much hard feelings, considering the "overlord" is perfectly allowed to do everything in his power to destroy the heroes (the Overlord in DJITD is the main bad-guy played by one player, and the rules of Descent make no bones about the fact the Overlord's job is to utterly annihilate the heroes), and the heroes are allowed to do everything to make sure the "overlord" can't do whatever he wants to do.

By the way, anyone thinking this is style of gameplay is similar to Dungeons and Dragons, it's only similar in the fact there is one player being the entirety of the bad-guys and traps. A GM in a pen-and-paper RPG is really more like a referee and story-teller. He's more just running things; he's not necessarily out to get the heroes. As any GM worth his salt can tell you, if he really wanted to destroy the heroes, he could do so instantly, in-game, and by-the-rules. But then, it wouldn't be much fun. So there really isn't any mandate for the GM to be so outright vicious.

However, in a DJITD style game, the Overlord is not a GM. He's not simply refereeing the game and managing the world environment. He's an actual opponent (a GM is not), and he DOES have a mandate, by the rules, to completely and utterly destroy the heroes (btw, in case you haven't guessed, I often play as the Overlord in DJITD). That's not to say he doesn't have some refereeing and world managing to do, but his duties in those capacities are partially shared with the hero players.

ADDENDUM: I had forgotten BioWare is now part of EA. Oh, well. There goes any interest I might have had in this game.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
]That might be true of you, but read through these comments and tell me that a lot of the vitriol isn't from people who are still spiteful over Mass Effect 3 or just EA in general.
I began to watch their fan event and you know why i stopped right after three minutes ? Because of the answer of the first question, all the bioware's guys answered "awesome" and it remind me the "awesome button" of DA2.I watched a resume made by two guys on a french site (and their were more than "meeeeh")

Lot of people don't have problem with the games they're making but with their PR. Just remind the silence after ME3 launch, for six months they remained silent (and the more the silence is long, the more the situation worsened). Another example: DAi. They pushed back the game one month, not because of bug testing or another thing like that but just because the november month have less blockbuster games launched, it show a lack of confidence in their product.
Just take a look at the difference between october and november:
October:

Super Smash Bros. (3DS) - October 3
Skylanders: Trap Team (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, Wii, 3DS) - October 5
Alien: Isolation (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - October 7
Driveclub (PS4) - October 7
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - October 7
NBA Live (Xbox One, PS4) - October 7
NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - October 7
*Project Spark (Xbox One, PC) - October 7
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PS3, 360, PC) - October 14
The Evil Within (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - October 14
Raven's Cry (PS4, PS3, 360, PC) - October 14
Evolve (Xbox One, PS4, PC) - October 21
Fantasia: Music Evolved (Xbox One, 360) - October 21
Samurai Warriors 4 (PS4, PS3, Vita) - October 21
Civilization: Beyond Earth (PC) - October 24
Assassin's Creed Unity (Xbox One, PS4, PC) - October 28
Lords of the Fallen (Xbox One, PS4, PC) - October 28
Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One) - October 28
WWE 2K15 (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3) - October 28

November:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - November 4
The Crew (Xbox One, PS4, PC) - November 11
Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One) - November 11
*Dragon Age: Inquisition (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - November 18
Far Cry 4 (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - November 18
*Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby (3DS) - November 21
*Persona Q (3DS) - November 25

How can anyone trust them ? Their last gameplay vid was just cutscene after cutscene (for the Shadow Lords and Dai).
It's why, i speak only for me of course, everyone would need to be very careful about them.
So the Shadows Lords was made to make an announce, their were rushed to make it. Perhaps it'll be good but they have nothing to show and i'll never trust their PR.