BioWare's Lead Writer Resigns

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009

Well I guess when you gotta go you....

OMG they could be twins! One could be the fat twin.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mike Kayatta said:
but it's their robustly developed stories and characters that seem to define them.

Now, where did I put my Xerox?
A war hero and high ranking military commander, a student of many arts attending the most prestigious school in the world, and the wealthy heir to a dwarven throne are all "humble origins" to you?

Your life must be really, really exciting.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I'm a bit scared now. I love Bioware, but I feel like this is a pretty hard hit for them... I wonder if they can find someone who can actually replace their lead writer.

In any case, will be interesting to see what Karpyshyn does next.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
scorptatious said:
Richardplex said:
scorptatious said:
Well that's too bad. I guess that means Mass Effect 3 could potentially be the last well written Bioware game. Although you never know, whoever replaces him could actually bring a lot of new and interesting ideas to the table.
FYI, He didn't do the script for ME3, Mac Walters did.
He did? My mistake then. I just assumed that since he was the lead writer, he had a part in the script.
Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1 and ME2, Mac Walters is the lead writer for ME3.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well since their next game is C&C anyway it doesn't matter that the story guy is gone. Just keep the class stories good in TORs expansion...(if it lives long enough to get one)

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Zaul2010 said:
Well since their next game is C&C anyway it doesn't matter that the story guy is gone. Just keep the class stories good in TORs expansion...(if it lives long enough to get one)
C&C isn't being made by the main studio, it's being made by Bioware Victory. It's basically just EA using the Bioware name on another studio to draw some attention.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Caffiene said:
The Fade in Dragon Age counts as strongly fitting the cliche of "you go to sleep and have a dream sequence", and the Darkspawn are a sinister organisation that thwarts your efforts?
That's just silly, everyone knows the Fade is the Warp, and the Darkspawn are chaos touched.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
but it's their robustly developed stories and characters that seem to define them.

Now, I'll be the first one to agree that Bioware's more recent works don't live up to its "high quality story" reputation, but following a formula (like a Hero's Journey archetypal story, found in stories all around the world) doesn't mean anything. And frankly, a lot of that seemed a stretch to include under their categories, especially to someone who's played all their games.

Also, lol @ "at some point you have a dream"

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
I find it funny that the "BioWare is going to shit" talk started after DA2, a meh game from a long line of good games. A game EA pushed hard for BioWare to finished to capitalize on the success of DA:O.
Sorce, I know people will ask. [http://au.music.ign.com/articles/115/1154594p1.html]

Anyway, I hope the lead new lead writer can bring something to the table. I can't wait. I wish you luck Karpyshyn.

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
That's a shame. And doesn't bode well to me. Recent Bioware games, apart from The Old Republic, haven't exactly been stellar narrative-wise. But hopefully the current writers improve over time.

Hopefully.
Fingers crossed they keep the Twilight fans exclusive to the Dragon Age team.

/partiallyfacetiouscomment

What was more concerning was the guy who left last year (?) because he felt they had no interest in making the type of games they'd used to anymore.
That was the lead designer of Origins. And it seems he was kind of right. Bioware doesn't seem interested in making old-style RPG's anymore. Instead they seem content in trying to go after the COD audience. While saying they're staying true to their roots to keep their old RPG-loving audience.

Which, while not exactly bad in and of itself, is still a bit sad to see.

Not sure why they couldn't just use Mass Effect for the CoD audience while making the Dragon Age games to appeal to the old-style RPG audience and effectively be able to cater to both groups, but whatever.

Apr 28, 2008
Richardplex said:
scorptatious said:
Richardplex said:
scorptatious said:
Well that's too bad. I guess that means Mass Effect 3 could potentially be the last well written Bioware game. Although you never know, whoever replaces him could actually bring a lot of new and interesting ideas to the table.
FYI, He didn't do the script for ME3, Mac Walters did.
He did? My mistake then. I just assumed that since he was the lead writer, he had a part in the script.
Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1 and ME2, Mac Walters is the lead writer for ME3.
Not quite. Mac Walters and Drew were both credited as lead writers for ME2.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Best of luck in your future endevours Drew. Loved your work at BioWare. As people have mentioned, most of the games followed a set pattern, but damn it, I liked that game. Every one of that game. Also, your books and KoTOR are the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Zahn wrote his Thawn trilogy. Thanks for the good times and all my best hopes for more good books.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Bioware has been dead for years. EA killed it and is wearing a suit made out of its skin.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So he's left writing decent game scripts to continue writing shitty novels? Seriously, his novel prose is shlock, and his Darth Bane and Revan books show that he has absolutely no respect for other people's work when adapting elements of people's stories (See Darth Bane himself, and the Jedi Exile's portrayal in their respective books compared to their original portrayals)

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
Caffiene said:
Have to respect the guy that wrote Jade Empire - it might have been a very linear game, but the story was impressively done. I look forward to seeing where he ends up.

A part of me wants to see what might happen if he were to join up with Chris Avellone on Obsidian's "kickstarter ideas" thing...

Wow... talk about bias. There is definitely a point to be made that many of Bioware's story/location structures feel the same, but that table really goes to the extreme trying to cram things where they dont fit.

The Fade in Dragon Age counts as strongly fitting the cliche of "you go to sleep and have a dream sequence", and the Darkspawn are a sinister organisation that thwarts your efforts?

Jade Empire's "you travel across the land" strongly fits the cliche of "you must travel to four main locations", and a small village from 20 years ago counts as "a sprawling ancient civilisation"?

I dont really remember the Underdark being a ruined sprawling ancient civilisation, either, or needing discovery for that matter. The Underdark is also from BG2, not the first game... Unless they meant the Undercity from the first game, in which case that sort of draws attention to their dubious "4 locations" point instead.
Also you dont really start from humble origins in Kotor, id say it loosely fits - but in reality you are Lord Voldemort and everyone has heard your name.