Bizarre Creations Says a Video Goodbye

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
So many fantastic memories. Especially from Metropolis Street Racer and The Club (I really should get around to picking up Blur).

So long, Bizarre! You truly will be missed!

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
PGR4 was one of the first games I ever played online, hell it was THE FIRST game I played online.

"Good night sweet prince, and let a flock of angels sing thee to thy rest"

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I don't know if anyone remembers but they made Fur Fighters, one of the greatest games of all time.....BC will be missed greatly

genamp

Nov 18, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
I don't know if anyone remembers but they made Fur Fighters, one of the greatest games of all time.....BC will be missed greatly
Thank you for bringing that game up. I almost thought it was lost in the annals of time. One of the best TPS experiences that never really got the attention it truly deserved. Many, many hours spent on that title.
Bizarre, you will truly be missed. I've always appreciated your contributions to the field.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
All of you are at fault for not buying Blur. ALL OF YOU.

Even I didn't. And the beta was fun as hell.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, does it? See you, Bizzare. Hope your employees found another studio some time down the... line?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
genamp said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Thank you for bringing that game up. I almost thought it was lost in the annals of time. One of the best TPS experiences that never really got the attention it truly deserved. Many, many hours spent on that title.
Bizarre, you will truly be missed. I've always appreciated your contributions to the field.
I know right? My friend owned Viggo's Revenge (PS2 remake) and I beat the whole damn thing cause it was that good, I saved all the puppies, got all the cheat codes, 100%. One of my all time favourite games, and now BC is gone.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
Videogames should get bail-out money. Good enough for Goldman-Sachs, good enough for Bizarre Creations.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
I don't care if I never was a fan of their games, myself. That's class. I really hope they find success elsewhere, I really do.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
SomebodyNowhere said:
I didn't realize they did The Club. The game didn't do well, but I think that was largely due to it being an arcade style game in a console world.
the club is a fun game. very addicting and a great multiplayer game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but they seemed to specialize in an increasingly niche genere, combined with a horrible case of developer arrogance. Even within that genere they seemed to be ignoring what the actual players wanted, and just did whatever they thought was cool at the time, figuring it would sell and justify itself. I think the question aimed at Blur: "who was this game directed at", pretty much summarized their problem, and this didn't seem to be the first game with that problem.

It's sad to see a company that has been around for more than a decade go out of business, but at the same time, that's the nature of business. Even in a multi-billion dollar industry it's competitive, and there is a point at which even among prima-donnas it's possible to just become too big of a prima donna by not performing well enough in concert with that attitude.

I don't think bail outs for game developers are a good idea in cases like this, when they are basically paying the price for bad products in a competitive industry. Perhaps if the industry was dying as a whole due to foreign competition, and you were dealing with a company going down for reasons beyond it's direct control it would be differant, but that isn't what we're looking at.

Heart wrecnching as a video game fan, and even more so for their fanbase, but really I can't see how this one is unjustified, nor can I blame activision for them not getting the job done. "Blur" was pretty much their last chance, and they really did seem to go veering off down a crazy path that seemed to be detached from anything the people in the racing fan base wanted. Even a quality product has to be appealing, and an expensive one has to be appealing to a lot of people.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They didn't rage at Activision because:
(possibilities)

i) They're professionals who want further employment
ii) Their contract with Activision includes non-disclosure agreements for so many years after termination of employment
iii) They honestly aren't pissed at Activision.

It's hard to remain objective in examining Activision when we're hot on the heels of them killing off several developers.