Bizarrely Easy Boss Fights

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Most of the bosses in Demon's/Dark Souls have some sort of weakness that makes them a pushover.

Andrewtheeviscerator said:
Final boss of Demon Souls, The True King (don't remember his name) was hilariously easy considering how hard the actual game is.
I tried taking on the False King head-on in melee combat; didn't work out. But you can tiptoe up the stairs, cast Poison Cloud on him from behind, tiptoe back down, wait for the poison to wear off, and repeat till he's dead. Leechmonger, I remember, you could spam fire arrows from the ledge where you first enter the room and he'd go down quickly, never touching you. Dark Souls was better about this, but the Ceaseless Discharge fight has a little inlet in the rock where he can't reach you, but his arm glitches through the rock, so you can chip away at his health. And when I started New Game +, bosses that had been huge challenges the first time around went down with one or two castings of Homing Crystal Soulmass.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
mitchell271 said:
So I was playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution recently and...
the second boss fight, the one that takes place in Eliza's core room was really, really easy. I didn't grab the heavy rifle before going in, I didn't use my guns to electrocute the ground, I just used my Typhoon on her twice. That's it! That killed her! It was really weird because combat in the game is normally very challenging, especially if you sank all your upgrade points into stealth and hacking.
So, has anyone else played a game with a oddly easy boss fight?

EDIT: I tried the boss fight in Deus Ex: HR without using the Typhoon and it was really hard! But the Typhoon is so overpowered that it just felt like a waste not to use it, especially since there was lots of Typhoon ammo in that room.
Not sure if they fixed it but I remember that on the third boss back when DE:HR was released, if you timed it right while he was jumping over a wall, you could kill him with a knockout punch. Made the fight a hell of a load easier, needless to say.

Oh, beaten to it.

Anyway, on-topic - the Archdemon in Dragon Age: Origins. I mean it was somewhat difficult but compared to some of the other boss fights in the game it was a complete joke.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Magenera said:
Wilhem from Borderlands2. Hearing how difficult he is, and how he took down the last vault hunters you would think he would be a badass. Went out real quick. Also Dragon Dogma, was told the white hydra would be hard, within a few seconds using High Bolide he is done. I am forgetting a few bosses.
Wilhelm was supposed to be insultingly easy. As a plot point, you were supposed to beat it to get the infected core. Jack let you win to trick you into lowering Sanctuary's shields.

Everyone seems to forget this.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
bullet_sandw1ch said:
Magenera said:
Wilhem from Borderlands2. Hearing how difficult he is, and how he took down the last vault hunters you would think he would be a badass. Went out real quick. Also Dragon Dogma, was told the white hydra would be hard, within a few seconds using High Bolide he is done. I am forgetting a few bosses.
yes. wilhelm was a cakewalk. also:
handsome jack. he died in around 4 shots from my explosive shotgun.
Were you over-levelled? He was ridiculously tough for me, my decoy ability saved my bacon.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Every single final boss in a Final Fantasy game ever, I have yet to lose to one, seriously.
Please write a strategy guide, there are thousands who could use your help.

Unless you spend hours grinding or use a guide yourself...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Nieroshai said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Every single final boss in a Final Fantasy game ever, I have yet to lose to one, seriously.

No guides, I'm not talking the secret bosses. I'm just talking the bosses like Kefka or Sephiroth for example, by the time I've got to them on my first way through the game they just seem like an average boss battle. For final bosses, they just didn't seem to pack the punch they should have for demi-gods etc.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
The gaping dragon from Dark Souls.

I went to the Depths after getting my ass handed to me like 10 times by the fucking Capra Demon, and then beat the dragon on the first attempt, with no summons, and without taking a single bit of damage! I was in shock! The cutscene that introduces it nearly made me shit my pants, and I left the boss room wondering if I had suddenly become Jesus Christ.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Four Kings from Dark Souls. Iron Flesh made them a joke.
Really? Whenever I used Iron Flesh it just ended up getting me slaughtered. Tapped my Stamina like a *****.

Now, Hidden Power however, let me tell you something...

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Nieroshai said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:
Magenera said:
yes. wilhelm was a cakewalk. also:
handsome jack. he died in around 4 shots from my explosive shotgun.
Were you over-levelled? He was ridiculously tough for me, my decoy ability saved my bacon.
Were you under-leveled? He barely even hit me in that fight...

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
**SPOILERS** sorry don't know the spoiler HTTP thing for this board.

The Cyber armed guy in Jakes campaign at the end fight. I was expecting a Wesker-ish or something, but all I got was "shoot this dude with unlimited spawning ammo and he dies" LAAAAAAME

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
**SPOILERS** sorry don't know the spoiler HTTP thing for this board.

The Cyber armed guy in Jakes campaign at the end fight. I was expecting a Wesker-ish or something, but all I got was "shoot this dude with unlimited spawning ammo and he dies" LAAAAAAME
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/markup_help.php that should help you with all sorts, book mark it until you're used to them :)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Nieroshai said:
chozo_hybrid said:

No guides, I'm not talking the secret bosses. I'm just talking the bosses like Kefka or Sephiroth for example, by the time I've got to them on my first way through the game they just seem like an average boss battle. For final bosses, they just didn't seem to pack the punch they should have for demi-gods etc.
You're serious. Sephiroth was one thing (I'd done some INSANE materia experimentation) but Kefka kicked my ass. At level 93. With guide help.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Nieroshai said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Nieroshai said:
chozo_hybrid said:

You're serious. Sephiroth was one thing (I'd done some INSANE materia experimentation) but Kefka kicked my ass. At level 93. With guide help.
I was honestly able to beat them, my older brother and I did take our time with 6, but we weren't grinding, just completing everything we came across.

garbutt

Sep 22, 2009
Not sure if this counts, it was caused by a bug.
Playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and this happened:

(Contains spoilers for the Jedi Knight story line)
Got to the final boss of the Jedi Knights story - The Sith Emperor. I'd bought a few buddies along from my guild as I'd heard it was a really hard fight and that I wouldn't be able to win alone.

So we enter the Emperors throne room, and we're all swapping advice and tactics on how we're going to win this... I walk up to the guy, trigger the fight-start cinematic... cinematic finishes, fight starts... I swing my lightsaber ONCE... fight-end cinematic plays. Quest updates to show that I won.

According to my guild mates, it's definitly a bug. I'm glad they were there to see it - they'd never believe me if I told them I one-shotted that guy. :)

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Anybody remember Lucien from Fable 2? If not than SPOILER WARNING

Thank you Reaver, for ending the game for me.

As for bosses your fight on your own...I dunno, Ifrit from Final Fantasy VIII? I mean, you can grind your way up to Demi-Godhood before taking him on so that makes things almost insultingly easy.
True but you can pretty much apply that exploit to any boss in ffviii with the possible exception of that part where you temporarily lose all your gf's however if you've been power levelling with stat-up abilities even then its a cakewalk

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
BrotherRool said:
The last encounter with Seymour in FFX. Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics and use of special statuses, up to the point where one of the battles before this Seymour fight involved deliberately letting your party be zombified on one turn to avoid an instant death attack the next, curing the status and healing up as much as possible in one turn and then going zombie again etc...

In particular all of Seymours fights had been ramping up, messing around with petrify all sorts of strategies as he became stronger and stronger every time...

... and then you meet him in the last most epic encounter with him and you just have to cast null element x whenever the game tells you in big letters that he's about to use element x. I had to use a walkthrough for almost every boss in the game (I was young!) but then one didn't even require a reload of pause. It's over pretty quickly too

Sacman said:
But honestly those boss fights worked well... considering it did account for different play styles and left it open for the player to actually decide how to go about each fight... other than the occasional supposed to lose fight...<.<
This in many ways is pretty much true of the DX:HR bosses, in this thread, on the first page alone people have described 4 completely separate ways of owning the boss. All the bosses had stealth mechanics programmed in, they all had multiple weaknesses and strategies, they could all be typooned, they could all be stunlocked, they all be straight up shot, or defeated with well placed mines and barrel throws.

... it's just they killed you so quickly it never felt like you had time to experiment with these strategies and the battles become a horrible unfun experience in reloading. Only the last boss battle had a kill switch which is the greatest flaw and none but the last used hacking at all, but I think if they just lowered the DPS the battles would have turned out to be a lot more interesting. There's a huge amount of detail in them, it's just impossible to see.

Catfood220 said:
Maximillian from Valkyria Chronicles is so very easy to beat. I was surprised I struggled so much with him when I discovered this.

Basically you fire a smoke round at him to stop him attacking and take out his sheild generators with your snipers and lancers. You should have your most powerful flamethrower equiped on Rosie and have her run up and use it on him. She should duck most of his return attacks. Repeat until he is dead, he can be beaten in 2 turns, if he should take Rosie out, use another shock trooper, I only suggest using Rosie because she can't die permanently.
Wait snipers are actually useful in Valkria Chronicles??
Snipers were my favourite class in Valkyria I suppose it depends on your playstyle. I loved finding a convenient roof or ledge and covering my big troops with a few angels of death

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Ocelano said:
Snipers were my favourite class in Valkyria I suppose it depends on your playstyle. I loved finding a convenient roof or ledge and covering my big troops with a few angels of death
I love the idea of Snipers and how they were meant to be used, whenever I described why the game was awesome to someone else, I always described the sniper tactics they try to get you to use. Running forward with scouts clearing the way for the vantage point that your Sniper takes and then clears out the entrenched enemies to let your flanking squad of muscle through the killzone ... etc

But the thing is you have to level them a lot before they've got a certain kill on their hands, otherwise they still have a reasonable chance of missing, as opposed to scouts and soldiers who will consistently get head shots almost from the get go with good positioning.

So I just felt like I was spending a lot of command points on subbing in and out of flags for a potential kill, when with Rosie towards the end it was possible to practically guarantee taking out two people at the same time.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Father Time said:
I didn't even know that was an option, how do I do it and what happens if you die with them turned off?
Options -> Gameplay options; it's at the bottom, "Disable Vita-Chambers"
You just respawn from your last save. Makes you really love your quick-save key. Also, I don't recommend doing this on consoles. Saving just takes longer and the flow of the game will feel severely broken.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Olrod said:
The boss at the end of Cosmo Canyon in Final Fantasy VII.

X-Potion = Win.
Any undead FF boss has the phoenix down problem. Remember the Ghost Train in FF6? Was a beast right up to the moment you autokilled it with a basic item.

I'll add in some of the KOF bosses were easy compared to the sub boss right before them on occasion. It just depended on which one had the at will, screen filling, unblockable one hit kill super.