Bizarrely Easy Boss Fights

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
The first Ogre battle in Dragon Age Origins. It was touted throughout alot in a lot of the pre-release demo reels, and previews as the first 'real test of skill' but my first time through (When I had no idea what the fuck I was doing) I think I killed that thing within 30 seconds.

It was really weird, I even went back and replayed it just to make sure it wasn't I hadn't got glitch in my damage output or something.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
We're talking about boss battles here but something that I think a lot of people forget is that while most of the time boss battles are designed to be hard, sometimes they are meant to be easy. Maybe easier than you expect, I suppose, but expectations are so subjective that it's basically meaningless to talk about that. And yes, some are just easy because of shoddy design or because you spent 300 hours grinding your character when the fight is designed to be fought at a certain level you're way beyond. That's not what I'm talking about here - I'm talking about deliberate ease.

The classic examples are Spiderman 2 (Mysterio) and Fable 2 (Lucien). Both have been cited as anti-climaxes, but I don't really agree with that. The way those fights are handled is entirely fitting with the characters. Most of the discussion that I've seen about these two fights has been concerned with the generic conventions of gameplay rather than the specific stories and characters involved. Those guys are both one-hit kills and that's because, well, they would be. In-story, both of these dudes are just normal dudes. Mysterio doesn't have powers and Lucien isn't a Hero.

And yes, spoilers but these are old games so you have no-one to blame but yourself.

When you come to the final Mysterio boss fight in Spiderman 2, you've burned through all of his tricks and resources. He's holding up a frigging 7-11 because he has nothing else left. You hit him once and he goes down because you're Spiderman with all your spider-powers and Mysterio is a dweeb wearing a fishbowl. This is the only time you fight him directly, if I recall, because he has had to compensate for the power imbalance by fighting through proxies (traps, robots etc) for the rest of his storyline. It makes sense that one punch from Spiderman - who can lift cars over his head - would floor Mysterio.

The same is true with Lucien. What most people forget about Fable and Lucien is that he's not a Hero. He doesn't have access to all the cool Will/Skill/Might stuff that you, as a Hero, do. The closest he comes is emulating it with Old World Tech and if I recall the height of the power he gets this way is a kind of Reaper-like indoctrination connected to the Ragged Spire - slow and gradual, not physical and still nothing really useful to fight a Hero with. Again, Lucien has to fight you through proxy goons and only confronts you directly when he's pretty sure you're bound and unable to tear him apart with your bare hands (which you could). Even his motivation and obsession is very human and understandable - he lost his family and by controlling the Ragged Spire he can rewrite the world to wish them back to life, no matter the cost. The final conflict ends when you (or Reaper) shoot him in the head and he dies because, yeah, he's just a dude and getting shot in the head kills dudes most of the time. But not Heroes. Again, in-story power imbalance between protagonist and antagonist.

Both of these characters are normal human antagonists going up against superhuman protagonists. Do you really think either of those would have been improved by the villain going One-Winged Angel, gaining a billion HP and fighting you on the brim of an active volcano? That would have totally devalued both scenes and utterly changed how we understand their character. The Mysterio "fight" is a gag at video game bosses - he sets up this impressive charade with a multi-tier health bar but being an illusionist, charade is all he has; one punch and he goes down. It's a great moment of humor and catharsis which you couldn't have gotten from a 'real' boss fight. Similarly, I found the Lucien confrontation extremely cathartic - I was genuinely upset when he killed my dog and I didn't give him the chance to monologue because he killed. My. Dog. The catharsis of defeating him would have died off in a protracted cliche boss fight, in my opinion at least.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
The Crotch said:
Ice Car said:
Wilhelm from Borderlands 2.

The characters didn't even finish telling me how badass he was and how he was going to kick my ass by the time he went down. Then again, it's easy to assume Jack wanted Wilhelm to lose.
It's easy to assume this because they explicitly tell you that five minutes after the fight.
It also, to me, makes no sense because he could have sent any one of his minions, maybe a less powerful Loader or something instead of what is heavily implied to be his most powerful to die on purpose. It makes no sense to me, unless Jack thought he didn't need Wilhelm anymore or something. Hell, he could have just left it unguarded. Why sacrifice anything at all?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Thought of another one!

Fighting Sigfried on the Phantom Train in FF6. First Attack: Sigfried hits Shadow. Counter Attack: Shadow sends out Interceptor. Fight over.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I nominate Panda King from Sly Cooper and the Theivius Racoonus. Seriously, I had trouble beating Mugshot and Mz. Ruby even as adult, but a baby could kill Panda King in under a minute. I don't get it.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
MardukGKoB said:
Diablo himself from the first Diablo game. Several people I know killed him accidently without him being on screen, in a couple of cases (including mine) not even knowing he was there. I played an archer and put almost everything into an electrical attack that scattered out along the floor. It did a ton of damage in a large area and I could cast it almost continuously.

I knew I was near the end of the game, but when I got jumped by a bunch of tough-looking things I didn't expect that to be Diablo's room. I over-spammed my electric attack, and killed Diablo off-screen while he was still far enough away to not activate. The game ended while I was still waiting for my electric attacks to stop, and I didn't get the ending I assume because Diablo never activated.

A friend saw Diablo and didn't think he was ready for the fight, so he summoned some golems to cover his retreat and ran away. The golems killed Diablo before he could exit the level. At least he activated Diablo and got the ending...
I beat diablo up close on the psx version. Like you I put all points into offense (very little in health). Heh I just setup a hot key on my health potions and spammed him at point blank. He's a pushover even activated. I had the girl (the rogue?). Her ending was kind of messed up.

Ratimir

Sep 29, 2012
Four for the price of one in Mass Effect 3.

The last battle of the game
and unofficial Boss, Marauder Shields, drops all too easily.

The actual bosses:
Harbinger
flies away for no reason in a cutscene and is never heard from again (unless you subscribe to the theory that he and starkid are one and the same).
The Illusive Man
is either talked into shooting himself or shot via renegade interrupt.
& the {REDACTED} Starbrat
wins. But there's no actual fight.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Any major boss fight in Borderlands 2. Any.

Considering how often I seem to die in this game because I'm terrible, the bosses (and the end boss in particular) seemed to just never be able to deal any damage to me.

TheDarkKing

Sep 12, 2011
NLS said:
That final boss at the end of Far Cry. After fighting through many attempts at surviving those goddamn trigen mutants with goddamn rocket launchers fixed to their arms, I finally made it to the office or whatever of that professor that had gone insane. I just threw in a grenade into his room and then the credits rolled.
That and in Darksiders, I found The Griever insanely easy, especially after fighting Tiamat, who took me about 6 or 7 tries to beat.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
The Warrior from Borderlands 2, assuming you're playing as the Gunzerker and decked out to the balls with machineguns and Torgue shotguns.

Didn't even die once.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The Last boss fight to the first Assassin's Creed, one of what appeared to be a clone attacked my and I countered with the Hidden Blade. Turned out it was the real one; the fight lasted I think 5 seconds.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Kind of cheating, because this is probably possible in any given RPG if you overlevel, but in Borderlands 1, the original 2nd playthorught the first boss showed up, said his badass line and all of the presentation in all its 10 secs glory, battle starts and I just run towards him and shotgunned him once and he died. LOL. I mean, I knew I was overleveled since most normal enemies died in 1 hit, but I didnt expect it to get THAT bad so I could 1 hit kill a boss! (Thats the only one I managed to kill in 1 hit thougt. They gradually got better, althougt still fairly easy).

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
OT: The final boss of Rule of Rose. Given how frustrating the combat makes every boss before then, the final boss (through either the "bad" method or the true method) was easy. But oh well, anyone who actually made it to the end of the game was in it purely for the story because hope for good gameplay was gone long ago in Rule of Rose.

EDIT: Whoops, quoted the wrong post haha. Regardless, the end of Fable 2 sucked. Good day.

Chaosmancer

Jul 21, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
The Warrior from Borderlands 2, assuming you're playing as the Gunzerker and decked out to the balls with machineguns and Torgue shotguns.

Didn't even die once.
Actually, I had no trouble playing as Zero (on playthrough 1 as I haven't got far in True Vault Hunter Mode yet), Handsome Jack was easily killed with Decepti0n and Many Must Fall (anything that wasn't him died in one hit), and the Warrior died pretty easily because of my 12,000-odd damage rocket launcher, the scopeless sniper rifle, and my sticky longbow mirvs that released 9 child grenades. Considering how much I died on the way there, I expected more... I only took health damage from it once, and didn't even go into second wind or use any ammo things once. I was only level 34 and dinged to 35 at the end. Seriously, BNK-3R gave me more trouble (I scummed my way through it by hiding under the ring, near the spawn, and shooting at it with my pistol that shot explosive ammo). Also, I accidentally Willhelm with my rocket launcher before they finished speaking.

The OP's one was also easy, I was doing a non-lethal playthrough, but I had all of these mines that had accumulated, and a shotgun, spam mines around the field, hear an explosion, go up to her and shoot her a couple of times, rinse and repeat until death. I didn't even bother getting the Typhoon Missiles (they just didn't really appeal to me). Also, the last boss was easy, disable shields, stand on something above the floor, shoot at her with a laser, end. That was insanely easy for me.

Pinwheel on Dark Souls. That guy was an incredible pushover, I had a white phantom with me, we both just two-handed our weapons (I was using a Lightning Great Scythe +4, he was using a Halberd (I think)) and killed him very quickly. Bear in mind that this was New Game +. The Gaping Dragon wasn't too difficult, as long as you didn't get caught by his legs or acid.

Nothing really gave me too much trouble on Dragon's Dogma, it was just a case of being patient as it's health slowly chipped down and waiting for your mage to be intelligent enough to imbue your weapon with the right element...

Fable 2 had Lucien, but then again, I suppose that he was only human, I think that the technical last boss was the Great Shard (if I remember the name correctly).

The last boss in Demon's Souls was incredibly easy, but that was really just proving a point in pretty much the same way that Demon's and Dark Souls prove points.

The very very very very last boss of Final Fantasy VII was also easy, I don't think it was possible to lose...unless you just did nothing, I suppose
Not Safer Sephiroth, the battle after where you immediately have full limit break and it pretty much forces you to use Omnislash.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn in general, no game overs (Summon Rush in Dark Dawn pretty much annihilated all (especially the pair that kept using Firework, but it didn't work because I had no active Djinni))... same with Suikoden: Tierkreis.

And I have forgotten most other games that I played... ah well, I may remember them later...oh yeah, Sonic Adventure 2, the very last boss of the last story, where you are in space (the one before that was a *****).

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Resident evil IV....that pompous little prick.

So you fight one of his bodyguards who is tough as nails and to have any chance of beating him (even with rocket launchers) you have to freeze him with conveniently placed liquid nitrogen canisters. Now when you face the main man himself he has his other, identical bodyguard with him and there are no nearby nitrogen canisters but he isn't taking any chances. He fuses together with his bodyguard and the queen source of all the enemies you have seen until now. Basically the toughest of the tough together with a nearly invincible enemy and a main controller of the enemy...He died in a single rocket hit.

I know I used the rocket launcher but there is something wrong with fusing together and becoming weaker rather than just saying "kill him" and win. It's like the hulk taking steroids and getting a mech-suit but for some reason it turns him into a common housefly.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
TheDarkKing said:
NLS said:
That final boss at the end of Far Cry. After fighting through many attempts at surviving those goddamn trigen mutants with goddamn rocket launchers fixed to their arms, I finally made it to the office or whatever of that professor that had gone insane. I just threw in a grenade into his room and then the credits rolled.
That and in Darksiders, I found The Griever insanely easy, especially after fighting Tiamat, who took me about 6 or 7 tries to beat.
The Griever is the Spider lady right? Or the worm?

Nevermind... I think the only that gave me trouble was the bat, even that took me only 2 retrys to beat.

Poor Destroyer, I don't think that guy actually had a chance...