Black Batman

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
It wouldn't bother me at all I can't see how it would be any different.

Batman's story is just as viable with an African American behind the mask.

Hell he even looks awesome (and pretty damn fine).

He is 'Batwing'

The Batman of Africa, seen here on the cover of his first issue gliding past some pyramids, is spun out of Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated, an ongoing series about Batman setting up fellow bat-based superheroes around the globe.

Batwing will be written by Judd Winick and drawn by Ben Oliver.
But Batwing isn't Black Batman. It's a black man that happens to be A batman.

I mean Bruce Wayne as a black man.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
It wouldn't bother me at all I can't see how it would be any different.

Batman's story is just as viable with an African American behind the mask.
Would it matter if the comic and character were both called "Black Batman" instead of just "Batman"? Bare in mind, this Black Batman is the new White Batman.
Nope but I find it strange why they would call it 'Black Batman' and not just 'Batman'
I love Batman he's my favourite superhero and my pet name for my male best friend who is pretty much awesome at everything.

Bruce Wayne being black wouldn't bother me at all.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I would say, "Huh. That's a bit weird." Then continue worshiping him. Black, white, brown, or yellow, The Batman is the goddamn Batman.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
DestinyCall said:
Black Batman - I'd read it.

But if you are going to make Black Batman, go all the way. Every character should be switched to a different race. Really shake that tree hard and see what falls out.

He could fight against Black Joker and Black Riddler and Black Penguin. There's also be Black Catwoman and Black Robin, of course. And Black Alfred and Black Commissioner Gordan too.
We make Black Batman now, in a year fuck chris nolan.

DENZEL WASHINGTON IS BLACK BATMAN.

....Is it offensive I want to cast Tyler Perry as Black Joker?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
so the other night I was stoned and amused at the idea of trading Batman's ethnicity for Luke Cage's. I made this post, it's just a silly idea: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.373406-White-Luke-Cage#14436420

Now heres the real conversation: Lets say DC announce they were rebooting Batman, and he's black now. Same exact thing but he's black. Titled of the comic, oddly enough, isn't Batman but "Black Batman". HOWEVER, DC announces they will be discontinuing anything having to do with a white Batman, in other words, White Batman is being retconned out of existence.

My question is, how would you react to it? would you keep being a batman fan or would you scoff at the change of skin color? I mean thematically, it's still the same comic.... save for perhaps the Joker is now overtly racist rather then gay, and maybe there is a story arch with Batman hunting down Klansmen.

I suppose I would be all right with it, so long as they were just changing the skin color and not turning Batman into a genre of urban fiction.

(also, clearly, I'm talking about this subject very light hearted and tongueNcheek. I'm trying to be silly, no racist... even though this whole concept is vaguely racist I realize.)snip
Black Batman?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
DestinyCall said:

But if you are going to make Black Batman, go all the way. Every character should be switched to a different race. Really shake that tree hard and see what falls out.

He could fight against Black Joker and Black Riddler and Black Penguin. There's also be Black Catwoman and Black Robin, of course. And Black Alfred and Black Commissioner Gordan too.

I think an Indian actress would suit Poison Ivy that really exotic look and curves it would suit the character a lot.

Again I'm not sure putting the prefix Black in front of everything is necessary...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
DestinyCall said:

I think an Indian actress would suit Poison Ivy that really exotic look and curves it would suit the character a lot.

Again I'm not sure putting the prefix Black in front of everything is necessary...
Indian Poison Ivy.... Too many syllables.

...I kid... But without the [race] in front of the character's name, the joke doesn't work :(

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Black Batman? That's completely implausible, I mean really, how many black billionaires are there in the US? My entire suspension of disbelief would be ruined!

Am I serious? The world will never know.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
A rich successful black person? Who spends his free time reducing crime rates? Good luck getting readers to take that seriously. [/snicker]

But all joking aside, I have no objection to a black batman. I DO however object to altering the physical traits of a well established character for seemingly no reason. Bruce Wayne has always been a tall dark haired Caucasian male with a relatively large build; it's pretty much part of the canon by now.

SeventeenSuns

Apr 24, 2012
They did a similar thing with spiderman in the Ultimates universe, and I was not opposed to the idea because it was a whole new character and idea, and of course they kept the normal spider man that I knew. Unfortunately, reading one of the comics, i did not like it due to terrible diologue. (constantly using blanked out swears in an attempt to sound cool made the entire thing seem so immature that i dropped it on the spot. So much for that...)

But if it would happen to Batman, there must be a point. I love Batman Beyond, because it was a new hero taking up the mantel in a way that i fully accepted, even though he was *GASP* a TEENAGER?? If the new batman was black, no problem, just as long as they take advantage of the opportunity of a new character and make us believe that this guy has what it takes to be Batman. Just as long as his whole purpose isn't defined completely by his race, of course. That would be a tragedy.
But they can't stop normal batman comics. Way too much money in Bruce Wayne staring Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Volf said:
Black Batman?

You're half right. While there is Black Batman, it isn't Spawn, as he uses guns and kills people.

Let's be honest. Regardless of your sexuality, for this, your body is ready.

EDIT: Whoopsadoodle. Forgot the

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Kendarik said:
Revnak said:
Kendarik said:
Revnak said:
Kendarik said:
Revnak said:
Kendarik said:
Revnak said:
Kendarik said:
Revnak said:
Kendarik said:
"Black batman" is stupid. There is however nothing wrong with batman being black. Nothing in any of the story lines or any of the various versions of his often recreated backstory require a particular ethnicity.

Of my two favorite Catwomen (that looks odd...Catwomans?) one happens to be white, one black. Ethnicity doesn't matter to the character at all.

It would only matter if something about the character is inherently race based. I can't think of one at the moment, but to give a silly example, if a Nazi superhero was turned from White Christian to Black Gay Jew in a retcon.
Ethnicity is not the same as race. Black is not a race. And a black gay Jewish Nazi would be hilarious. Every Nazi ever should be retconned as black, gay, and Jewish.
Well race isn't a word with a university definition, but in general terms, yes, black probably does meet the definition of race, in fact skin colour was one of the primary determining factors in that non scientific word's early use. You know, that's why people say its "racist" when you are anti-black. But you keep feeling smug if it makes you feel better. (Especially when your corrections are wrong lol)
Read my other post and recent edit. It was a typo. And there are plenty of university definitions for race, just ask a professor and there you go. I can insult you for making typos as well, but I am pretty certain your original misunderstanding of the differences between race and ethnicity were not typos.
You claim now it was a typo...

And read my comment on your correction.

Also you might mean, University where I work, not where I go.

Let me help you out there, the term "race" is inherently "racist". There is no valid scientific use of the word, and no self respecting academic would suggest there was. Feel free to point me at that very clear universally accepted definition though.
A typo is a type of mistake.

Race is as real as we make it. You can't ignore the obvious social importance of the concept of race, even though it biologically doesn't exist. And yes there is no universally accepted definition. However, there is one for ethnicity, and it is not the same as race. Black is not an ethnicity, it is a race.
How can you positively identify it as a race, when you agree race isn't defined?

In any event, your definition is STILL wrong for ethnicity. Ethnicity CAN include racial traits. A couple segments of the Merriam-Webster definition for your attention:

a: of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background
Synonyms: racial, ethnical, tribal

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethnic
Ethnicity is just a way of grouping people into groups that make some sense and have some commonality.
Your race is a socially constructed status that is ascribed to you in accordance with certain physical traits. Your ethnicity is the social group or category you generally fit within. Black is not a valid ethnicity as it tells me nothing about what social category that individual fits within. A black Swede differs from a black African which differs from a black American. And Webster loses credibility with me for having an incorrect definition of gender.
Certainly many Black South Africans will tell you they are a different ethnicity than White South Africans. Colour can most certainly tell you part of someone's social category.

And I'm so impressed that you know more than dictionaries lol
Certainly, but you didn't say black American, you said black. There is a major difference. Hispanic Latino is an ethnicity that considers race. Hispanic is an ethnicity that does not consider to race. Latino is a race, not an ethnicity. A brown kid from Mexico is a Hispanic Latino. A kid from Mexico is Hispanic. A brown kid is Latino. They are not the same.
Ok, is Jewish a race or an ethnicity?
Neither. It is a religion. Depending on where their families had lived for the previous few generations they could be one of a very large number of ethnicities.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm confused as to why suggesting a different race for a character is a joke to you?
*shrug* Absurdity I suppose. People get up tight about people swapping races, like when that black guy was going to be in that Thor movie. Ignorance is fun to mock and all that.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
If they changed batman's ethnicity, I'd be surprised but wouldn't really care so long as the entertainment value stayed good.

If on the other hand they also make a big deal about changing his ethnicity, much less started degrading the storyline by adding extraneous racism crap and effectively disowning "white batman", I'd probably stop buying related material entirely. It takes a fair bit for a media outlet to piss me off, but an action like that would do the trick.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Batman pulled a Nick Fury? huh...

So long as its not "black batman" because that's racist and is just "batman" I think people would question it for a while and then kind of roll with it. We got a black president, why not a black batman?